The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 09, 2007, 08:01pm
This IS My Social Life

Contratulatory contact w/FTer???

Please confirm or correct my reading of NFHS 4-47-2 that if even one teammate of a FTer goes to "give five" to his teammate at the line, that the delay it causes is a violation and would receive a warning for first time, T for subsequent times.

I understand the cautionary counsel as to when and when not to call it. I only want clarification as to the rule.

Last edited by Freddy; Sun Dec 09, 2007 at 09:48pm.
Old Sun Dec 09, 2007, 08:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy
Please confirm or correct my reading of 4-47-2 that if even one teammate of a FTer goes to "give five" to his teammate at the line, that is a violation and would receive a warning for first time, T for subsequent times.
Did it delay the game? Can you manage the situation without letting it delay the game? The rule is there if we need it. Good game management can prevent needing it.
Old Sun Dec 09, 2007, 08:19pm
Official Forum Member

Its still a game

Having a couple kids congratulate a kid with a quick 5 doesn't delay the game enough to worry about. Plus, do you really want the entire gym to come down on you for a call like that? Save that for your first perceived missed call like "3 seconds" or "call it both ways" or "get your hair out of your eyes (I'm bald...)."
Old Sun Dec 09, 2007, 08:41pm
Official Forum Member

Yup, as long as it isn't delaying the next shot, let it go. Otherwise you may be in danger of being an OOO.
Old Sun Dec 09, 2007, 09:16pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy
Please confirm or correct my reading of NFHS 4-47-2 that if even one teammate of a FTer goes to "give five" to his teammate at the line, that is a violation
As others have indicated, the violation is not for contacting the shooter. The violation is for delaying the game. If the high 5 delays the game, then give the warning. If it doesn't delay, then it's nothing.
Old Sun Dec 09, 2007, 09:41pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmeadski
Plus, do you really want the entire gym to come down on you for a call like that?
The next time that I worry about what the "entire gym" thinks about one of my calls will be the first.

If you're concerned about what the crowd/teams think when you make a call, you're in the wrong racket.