The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 30, 2007, 11:31pm
Official Forum Member

Correctable Error Question

hey guys, dont post a ton here, but do read everything daily.

I was just watching a game this evening when this play occured. Just wanted to have some opinions on this play, I will give what the results were later on after a few good replies.

A1 shooting the first of a two shot foul, when after the first free throw the ball was allowed to remain live and rebounded by A3 (both teams were going for the rebound). A3 was then fouled by B1, setting up a bonus situation for A3 to shoot.

Upon calling the foul, R1 immediately conferred with R2. They then went to the table and had a discussion, seemed to come up a ruling.

I believe this is enough information to go on, please assume they figured it out at this point and what should happen next?
Old Sat Dec 01, 2007, 12:16am
Official Forum Member

nearly five seconds ran off the clock between first shot being missed, rebound and foul.

The ball was NOT considered dead as no official blew the whistle for A1 to go back and shoot the second of her merited free throws and all players were playing the ball as if it were in play.

Just to clear that up hopefully (all action also occurred outside of the lane and inside of the arch above the free throw line extended.
Old Sat Dec 01, 2007, 12:45am
Never Stop Learning

Then this would be a correctable error under not awarding merited free throws. The ball shouldn't have become live but it seems no one in the gym knew what was going on until after the foul happened. So shoot the remaining shot with the lane clear and then the bonus with the lane filled. All time and action during the time of the shot and the foul stands. Resume play from the end of the bonus shots for the foul on B1.
Old Sat Dec 01, 2007, 05:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Maeder
Then this would be a correctable error under not awarding merited free throws. The ball shouldn't have become live but it seems no one in the gym knew what was going on until after the foul happened. So shoot the remaining shot with the lane clear and then the bonus with the lane filled. All time and action during the time of the shot and the foul stands. Resume play from the end of the bonus shots for the foul on B1.
Ed's our new 2-10 MAN!

Ed, you are so good at these that I'm beginning to think that you must deal with correctable errors frequently.
Old Sat Dec 01, 2007, 12:38pm
Never Stop Learning

Thanks, but no thanks. Have not had one in one of my games in a long time, but it sure helps to know what to do if you do have one of these situations.