The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 21, 2005, 09:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I'll post this b/c it actually happened tonight in the game after mine. Should be a good exercise to walk through it. FED rules.

A1 shoots at her basket, and the try is unsuccessful. A4 fouls B4 while attempting to rebound the miss. It is Team A's 10th foul of the half. A4 makes a comment to the calling official and the official very obviously considers assessing a technical foul, but does not. Official then mistakenly gives the PC signal while reporting the personal foul. Team B is given a throw-in instead of 2 FTs. B1 advances to the ball into the frontcourt and is fouled. It is Team A's 11th foul of the half.

At this point, is the error still correctable? If so, how do we correct it? How many FT's should Team A receive? Should players be lined up along the lane?

After a few replies, I'll tell you what the officials on the game did.
Old Mon Nov 21, 2005, 10:22pm
Official Forum Member

I will reply using NCAA mens rules.
Since the error is detected before the first dead ball is at the disposal of the thrower-in it is correctable.

1. B4 will shoot 2 ft's with the lane cleared
2. Point of interruption= B1 shooting 2 ft's with normal play.
Old Mon Nov 21, 2005, 10:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jdurham

2. Point of interruption= B1 shooting 2 ft's with normal play.
Don't we go to the POI only if there's been a change of possession?
Old Mon Nov 21, 2005, 10:32pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Correctable.

Correct it by awarding B4 2 shots, lane cleared. Then B1 gets 2 shots, lane occupied.

Team A would not get any FTs.

(Did I understand the play correctly?)
Old Tue Nov 22, 2005, 08:25am
Official Forum Member

Apparently, I was wrong. I guess this isn't really interesting. Oh, well.

I agree with JugglingRef's solution. It is clearly still correctable. And both foul penalties must be assessed.

Unfortunately, the guys working the game (2 NCAA, and 1 HS Var) didn't realize the error had been made. When we talked about it at halftime, all three of them said, "I kinda thought something wasn't right. . ."

What I think is interesting is that if the error had been for the wrong player shooting the FT, or shooting an unmerited FT, or for shooting a FT at the wrong basket, then the second foul would've been canceled (2-10-4). But b/c it was failure to award, you don't cancel the intervening activity (2-10-5). I don't like the difference there, mainly b/c I don't understand why the errors should be treated differently in this way. Just doesn't make sense to me.
Old Tue Nov 22, 2005, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Apparently, I was wrong. I guess this isn't really interesting. Oh, well.

I agree with JugglingRef's solution. It is clearly still correctable. And both foul penalties must be assessed.

Unfortunately, the guys working the game (2 NCAA, and 1 HS Var) didn't realize the error had been made. When we talked about it at halftime, all three of them said, "I kinda thought something wasn't right. . ."

What I think is interesting is that if the error had been for the wrong player shooting the FT, or shooting an unmerited FT, or for shooting a FT at the wrong basket, then the second foul would've been canceled (2-10-4). But b/c it was failure to award, you don't cancel the intervening activity (2-10-5). I don't like the difference there, mainly b/c I don't understand why the errors should be treated differently in this way. Just doesn't make sense to me.
I don't think you're interpreting 2-10-4 correctly. If the error is awarding free throws when you shouldn't, then any fouls DURING those free throws gets cancelled. If the play goes on and then there's a foul, you don't cancel THAT foul. Look at case 2.10.4.
Old Tue Nov 22, 2005, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Look at case 2.10.4.
That's exactly the case I was looking at. I didn't make the connection that the FT was still in the air. Still "during" the FT.