Thread: Venting
View Single Post
Old Fri Nov 30, 2007, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar
KB -

I have seen those of which you speak and don't enjoy working with "them" myself. While I still have a lot to learn, I vow never to become one of "them" - overweight, out of shape, don't run, don't keep up with the rules, seem not to care, in it for the $, etc. It is disheartening to see - especially for younger or newer officials who are looking to learn from the more seasoned officials.

I certainly have my problems, but I like to think they are from omission and lack of seasoning - not commission (as in something I could change but choose not to).

In my limited time, I believe I have seen more conscientious refs out there than the kind of which you speak.
Absolutely, give me someone who is new and learning ANY day over someone who has done it for 20 years and thinks that means they don't have to work...where else are you gonna learn, that is the perfect environment for it, as long as you are there for the right reasons...

I hope you are right that there are more out there, I know as you move up the chain that all changes obviously, it just seems that as there are more and more leagues & games and basketball becomes more of a year-round sport, the level of officiating at the lower levels has become extremely watered down and you are starting to attract the wrong kind of people...