The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 27, 2007, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

My first game

I'm doing my first game ever tonight. Its a special olympics game but got to start somwhere right??.. LOL

I am soooo ready. maybe too ready. So much swirling through my head. I cant wait.

any last words of advice??
Old Tue Nov 27, 2007, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfanmike20
All the usual:

Slow down.
Have fun.
Tuck in your whistle before peeing.

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue Nov 27, 2007, 12:37pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

I worked some about 5 years ago as a volunteer. Far and away it was the most rewarding officiating experience I've ever had. In fact, it was one of the most rewarding experiences I've ever had - period. The kids are all great and believe me, you will learn lots. Good for you for doing this.
Old Tue Nov 27, 2007, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Ditto what Mark said, good for you for stepping up. With that attitude you cant help but make it.

SLOW DOWN
communicate with partner (repeat for next three items)
Have fun
Old Tue Nov 27, 2007, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm doing my first game ever tonight. Its a special olympics game but got to start somwhere right??.. LOL

I am soooo ready. maybe too ready. So much swirling through my head. I cant wait.

Special Olympics games are very unique. I worked the games when they strolled through the St Louis area many years ago. It's basketball but it's not basketball. The games and the players are a lot of fun. The game may look like 4th graders playing basketball. So you may not have to enforce the rules of the game too strickly.
Smile and have fun!
Old Tue Nov 27, 2007, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
I worked some about 5 years ago as a volunteer. Far and away it was the most rewarding officiating experience I've ever had. In fact, it was one of the most rewarding experiences I've ever had - period. The kids are all great and believe me, you will learn lots. Good for you for doing this.
I'm doing this for alot of reasons.

1. Its good practice for me. I can work on my mechanics and where I'm soposed to be on the court.

2. It helps out my scheduler. Always want to help out your assignor.

3. Its a good deed.

From what I understand some of these kids are pretty good.
Old Tue Nov 27, 2007, 10:50pm
Official Forum Member

OK... so... Just my luck.. I get a game with another guy who is on his 3rd game ever.. LOL...

so... floor mechanics.. ok.. we got our rotations down.. that was good.

Missed alot of calls. Its like I choked on my whistle. I called an OOB play completely wrong. Called it out on purple when it was out on black... and for some reason I didn't correct it. Its like I just froze. I kept forgetting to stop the clock when the ball went out of bounds. Called the direction wrong once. Uhg... I really sucked. LOL

but hey.. we all have to get our first game out of the way right??..

I just wish it would have gone better. My Mentor had a volleyball game, but it was cancled so he was able to make it to watch me ref. Said I need to be more assertive... called me on alot of missed calls... I have alot of work to do.
Old Tue Nov 27, 2007, 10:57pm
M.A.S.H.

I remember my first game. I was so damn nervous wondering if I was in the right spot and trying to watch the action in my area. Like a trillion things going through my head. I know I sucked, but luckly for me I had a great friend and mentor who has helped me my whole officiating career as a partner.

There's no doubt, he has made me a better official and helped me so much.

Without a mentor, I personally think a new official is down sh*t creek without a paddle, JMO.

You'll get better just as along as you're willing to put in the effort and listen to others.

Be sure to pick something out before you hit the floor that you want to work on. You'll be fine... best of luck!
Old Tue Nov 27, 2007, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1
I remember my first game. I was so damn nervous wondering if I was in the right spot and trying to watch the action in my area. Like a trillion things going through my head. I know I sucked, but luckly for me I had a great friend and mentor who has helped me my whole officiating career as a partner.
A trillion things is right.... I cant believe I forgot to stop the clock... UHG
Old Wed Nov 28, 2007, 12:31am
Official Forum Member

Welcome to the fraternity. Each of us had a first game. And, for the most part, we've all been through exactly what you went through tonight. And we all survived it.

Yeah, you've got a lot to work on. Which of us doesn't. Pick just one or two things to work on every game, and before you know it you'll be a lot better!
Old Wed Nov 28, 2007, 02:39am
PYRef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoochy
The games and the players are a lot of fun. The game may look like 4th graders playing basketball. So you may not have to enforce the rules of the game too strickly.
Smile and have fun!
Strictly
Damn that annoying grammar guy
Old Wed Nov 28, 2007, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

ok... had a night to sleep on it.

My partner was new.. and I think that hindered me alot.

He allowed a timeout to the non control team.

Made a foul call in my area on a clean block.

No biggy I suppose but I think I would have done better if I had an experienced ref.
Old Wed Nov 28, 2007, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

so I have bad grammar and spelling

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYRef
Strictly
Damn that annoying grammar guy
Give me a break. I am a native New Yorker. (Schenectady)
Old Wed Nov 28, 2007, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
ok... had a night to sleep on it.

My partner was new.. and I think that hindered me alot.

He allowed a timeout to the non control team.

Made a foul call in my area on a clean block.

No biggy I suppose but I think I would have done better if I had an experienced ref.
Yep. It's amazing how much a good, veteran partner contributes to a rookie's game. You'll know you've taken your game to a new level when you can be that official who makes his partner better.
Old Wed Nov 28, 2007, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

My first game was with a fairly new Ref and last night was with a vet. Yes it makes a difference. But as others have said, pick a couple things that you want to focus on next time out. It made a huge difference in my game. Now I have additional items to focus on for my game tonight.

Last edited by Splute; Thu Nov 29, 2007 at 07:38am.