Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 27, 2007, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
You're misreading 4.44.3A(c). The ball never left A's hands in this play.

A jumps for a try. While A is holding the ball, B touches it, but so lightly that it doesn't affect A's ability to release the ball. A doesn't release the ball, but returns to the floor still holding the ball.

IF that's what you judge, then it's a travel.

I agree with that, but I will judge that the contact prevented the release in most situations.

You seem to think the play is: A jumps to try for goal and releases the ball. B bats the ball back to A who catches the ball and returns to the floor.

I agree that this is a legal play, but it's not the play that's in the case book.
Ahh I see now, that would make sense, not sure why but I didn't read it that way before. I guess it is because it doesn't specifically say that A1 didn't release the ball...but it doesn't say that A1 DID release the ball either...You are right, in that case I am usually going to have a held ball, although now that I think of the caseplay in these terms, I'm sure I have had a travel in this situation before also...usually at lower levels where the player is unsure of what to do once the play is defended and they just never let the ball go...usually a HS player is just going to drop the ball....then starts the "boxout dance"...