The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 26, 2007, 07:57am
Official Forum Member

Rule 10-1-5c

Am I reading this right ? You have a team technical ,after a delay of game warning, for contact with a free thrower. SO kid shoots first one, teammate walks in the lane , slaps hands, and I'm suppose to come up with a delay of game warning. If it happens again I issue a technical foul.....

Please tell me I'm misreading or misunderstanding this.
Old Mon Nov 26, 2007, 08:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref
Am I reading this right ? You have a team technical ,after a delay of game warning, for contact with a free thrower. SO kid shoots first one, teammate walks in the lane , slaps hands, and I'm suppose to come up with a delay of game warning. If it happens again I issue a technical foul.....

Please tell me I'm misreading or misunderstanding this.
It's delay just like reaching across the boundary or fiddling with the ball after a made basket. Warning for delay on the first, then the next delay infraction is a "T" regardless of what type it is.
Old Mon Nov 26, 2007, 08:13am
Official Forum Member

Correct, this is what you are required to do by rule. This is a rule some NOT all officials do not enforce. I emphasize SOME!!
Old Mon Nov 26, 2007, 08:16am
Official Forum Member

You issue the warning if the action delays the game.

If they can high-five and get back to their proper places in the time it takes you to collect the ball, check for subs, check the lane, then administer FT#2, no warning or T.

What the rule is meant to cover (and the casebook examples emphasize) is a huddle at the line with the administering official standing around waiting to bounce the ball to A1. That slows the game down and is penalized.
Old Mon Nov 26, 2007, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dexter

If they can high-five and get back to their proper places in the time it takes you to collect the ball, check for subs, check the lane, then administer FT#2, no warning or T.

What the rule is meant to cover (and the casebook examples emphasize) is a huddle at the line with the administering official standing around waiting to bounce the ball to A1. That slows the game down and is penalized.

Mark, The OP from my understanding was asking do you give a delay of game warning even after a player has shot the first of a double bonus situation (two) free-throws and teammates enter the lane to slap hands this is more likely to happen then the case play.
Old Mon Nov 26, 2007, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dexter

This is correct. No official should do anything other than this.
Old Mon Nov 26, 2007, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie
Mark, The OP from my understanding was asking do you give a delay of game warning even after a player has shot the first of a double bonus situation (two) free-throws and teammates enter the lane to slap hands this is more likely to happen then the case play.
Right. And Mark correctly answered that -- you give the warning if there's a delay. The action delays the game approximately never (I've given this warning once in 12 years)
Old Mon Nov 26, 2007, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie
My answer remains the same whether before the first shot or between shots.
Old Mon Nov 26, 2007, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

I like to think of the delay warning as a tool in my bag that I could use to fix such a delay situation. But I keep it in the bag until I've tried the "let's go guys!" and bouncing the ball to the thrower without waiting for the "fivers" to get all the way back to their positions (time it so that they have hustle back and it usually speeds things along nicely).
Old Mon Nov 26, 2007, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
This is correct. No official should do anything other than this.
I agree!!!!!