The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 25, 2007, 08:17pm
Official Forum Member

Had a GREAT Turkey Day Tourney this weekend...

Man...what a weeked for C-Doggs! Finished up today with 5 games (had 5 yesterday)...2 of the 5 were semi finals and 2 were finals...Saw some good young talent (14U boys and girls). I felt like I was in the zone today...I was seeing the floor well, making strong calls, I seemed to be in good position on most of my calls....my partner and I were communicating really well between ourselves and with the coaches...Players kept sportsmanship in the forefront of their mind and played really hard....Just seemed like EVERYTHING was clicking....

Had a 12U boys game that was an absolute thriller! One team trailed by about 15 points early in the 2nd half and began chipping away with the press..forced about 3-4 turnovers. Finally took the lead by 1 on a 3 with about 4 minutes left and then both teams went back and forth from the line...Kids were knocking down FTs....Team that was down 15 early scored a bucket with :02 left to go up 1...in the craziness/celebration, there was a TO called by the trailing team coach( one of those things I was on top of today!) ....Had to sort that out as the coach of the leading team thought the clock should have run out...trailing coach wanted an additional :01 added b/c he was calling for TO as the ball goes through....My partner and I took the time to conference with both the guys at the table see what everybody's account was....We determined that the :01 was correct due to lag time to stop clock....we talked to both coaches, gave our explanation and they both said OK...

On the inbound.....pass goes from under the basket to past half court (ala Tom Brady)...kid catches, turns, it and heaves it from about 28'...I'm L so I had to cover the shot...Ball went about 1/2 way down and rimmed out....1 point game...

Shot would not have counted as the buzzer went off while the kid was still pushing his shot up...It was pretty close but I was in a good position to see it (and my assignor and two other refs who were watching the end of the game said I had it right...They just reminded me that in that situation I was right to waive it off AS SOON AS I know it's no shot so there is no question as the ball is in flight....that made me feel good that I was on top of it...) On the way to our officials room to get some H20 and had parents from both teams stop me and praise us how we handled things...

In my girls final we had a team from Cedar Rapdis, Iowa and the other from Northern Kentucky. Both teams played really well and were knocking down shots from all over the floor....Halftime score (14:00 halves) was 40-42.
Ended up a about a 10 point W for Iowa. I was told one of the girls on the NKy team was the daughter of Randy Moss...she was about 5'10 and a very good player.

Fun weekend but my doggs are a BARKIN' tonight!!
Old Sun Nov 25, 2007, 09:37pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltdoggs
Team that was down 15 early scored a bucket with :02 left to go up 1...in the craziness/celebration, there was a TO called by the trailing team coach( one of those things I was on top of today!) ....Had to sort that out as the coach of the leading team thought the clock should have run out...trailing coach wanted an additional :01 added b/c he was calling for TO as the ball goes through....My partner and I took the time to conference with both the guys at the table see what everybody's account was....We determined that the :01 was correct due to lag time to stop clock....we talked to both coaches, gave our explanation and they both said OK...
Small problem. The rule re: time lag was removed from the book at the start of the 2006-07 season. There is NO lag time anymore. You can only put time back on the clock if you actually observed how much time was on the clock when the TO request was granted. The only other circumstances that will allow you to put time back on is if you had an official's count or some other definite information.

So, in this case, you can only put back on what time actually showed on the clock when you granted the TO request. If that was 2 seconds, then that's what you put up. If you're not sure, you can't put anything back on.

See NFHS rule 5-10 and case book play 5.10.1SitC.
Old Sun Nov 25, 2007, 10:20pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
Man...what a weeked for C-Doggs! Finished up today with 5 games (had 5 yesterday)...2 of the 5 were semi finals and 2 were finals...Saw some good young talent (14U boys and girls). I felt like I was in the zone today...I was seeing the floor well, making strong calls, I seemed to be in good position on most of my calls....my partner and I were communicating really well between ourselves and with the coaches...Players kept sportsmanship in the forefront of their mind and played really hard....Just seemed like EVERYTHING was clicking....
I'm glad to see you had a good time. The one thing I do like about games at this level is that the kids often play hard from start to finish, regardless of the final score. This can make it a challenge to officate, but it appears you did so and had fun in the process.

I hope you can carry this positive energy into your upcoming contests.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Mon Nov 26, 2007, 09:17am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
trailing coach wanted an additional :01 added b/c he was calling for TO as the ball goes through....We determined that the :01 was correct due to lag time to stop clock
First, congrats on having a good weekend. I'm long past 10 games in 2 days, so more power to ya.

Second, just to add one small thing to what Jurassic said. He gave you exactly the right info about lag time. I just want to say that it doesn't matter when the coach was requesting the time out. He was yelling for the TO while the ball was still in the basket. Understandable. But the ball's not dead until it passes through the basket; so you can't grant the TO until then.

The clock should show the amount of time that was there when an official granted the TO, not when it was requested. I'm not sure that would've mattered in your situation, but it might be helpful in the future.

Might not. Who knows?
Old Mon Nov 26, 2007, 10:17am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
You can only put time back on the clock if you actually observed how much time was on the clock when the TO request was granted.

So, in this case, you can only put back on what time actually showed on the clock when you granted the TO request.
Thanks for the clarification, Scrappy.
Old Mon Nov 26, 2007, 10:20am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Thanks for the clarification, Scrappy.
It was more of an. . . embellishment.
Old Mon Nov 26, 2007, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
First, congrats on having a good weekend. I'm long past 10 games in 2 days, so more power to ya.

Second, just to add one small thing to what Jurassic said. He gave you exactly the right info about lag time. I just want to say that it doesn't matter when the coach was requesting the time out. He was yelling for the TO while the ball was still in the basket. Understandable. But the ball's not dead until it passes through the basket; so you can't grant the TO until then.

The clock should show the amount of time that was there when an official granted the TO, not when it was requested. I'm not sure that would've mattered in your situation, but it might be helpful in the future.

Might not. Who knows?
Thanks for the clarification and input guys...

I'll usually work about 4-6 on typical weekend...My wife just lost her job so the extra games are somewhat a necessity right now

It was really a good game and fun to officiate...There were several teams who had finished games on other courts as well as their parents congregating around our court to watch the finish...It was a shame either team had to take an L...they were both playing pretty hard out there...