The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Rule 10-1-5c (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/39860-rule-10-1-5c.html)

Chess Ref Mon Nov 26, 2007 07:57am

Rule 10-1-5c

Am I reading this right ? You have a team technical ,after a delay of game warning, for contact with a free thrower. SO kid shoots first one, teammate walks in the lane , slaps hands, and I'm suppose to come up with a delay of game warning. If it happens again I issue a technical foul.....

Please tell me I'm misreading or misunderstanding this.

jdw3018 Mon Nov 26, 2007 08:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chess Ref
Am I reading this right ? You have a team technical ,after a delay of game warning, for contact with a free thrower. SO kid shoots first one, teammate walks in the lane , slaps hands, and I'm suppose to come up with a delay of game warning. If it happens again I issue a technical foul.....

Please tell me I'm misreading or misunderstanding this.

It's delay just like reaching across the boundary or fiddling with the ball after a made basket. Warning for delay on the first, then the next delay infraction is a "T" regardless of what type it is.

truerookie Mon Nov 26, 2007 08:13am

Correct, this is what you are required to do by rule. This is a rule some NOT all officials do not enforce. I emphasize SOME!!

Mark Dexter Mon Nov 26, 2007 08:16am

You issue the warning if the action delays the game.

If they can high-five and get back to their proper places in the time it takes you to collect the ball, check for subs, check the lane, then administer FT#2, no warning or T.

What the rule is meant to cover (and the casebook examples emphasize) is a huddle at the line with the administering official standing around waiting to bounce the ball to A1. That slows the game down and is penalized.

truerookie Mon Nov 26, 2007 08:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Dexter

If they can high-five and get back to their proper places in the time it takes you to collect the ball, check for subs, check the lane, then administer FT#2, no warning or T.

What the rule is meant to cover (and the casebook examples emphasize) is a huddle at the line with the administering official standing around waiting to bounce the ball to A1. That slows the game down and is penalized.

Mark, The OP from my understanding was asking do you give a delay of game warning even after a player has shot the first of a double bonus situation (two) free-throws and teammates enter the lane to slap hands this is more likely to happen then the case play.

Nevadaref Mon Nov 26, 2007 08:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Dexter

This is correct. No official should do anything other than this.

bob jenkins Mon Nov 26, 2007 09:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by truerookie
Mark, The OP from my understanding was asking do you give a delay of game warning even after a player has shot the first of a double bonus situation (two) free-throws and teammates enter the lane to slap hands this is more likely to happen then the case play.

Right. And Mark correctly answered that -- you give the warning if there's a delay. The action delays the game approximately never (I've given this warning once in 12 years)

Mark Dexter Mon Nov 26, 2007 09:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by truerookie

My answer remains the same whether before the first shot or between shots.

Back In The Saddle Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:59am

I like to think of the delay warning as a tool in my bag that I could use to fix such a delay situation. But I keep it in the bag until I've tried the "let's go guys!" and bouncing the ball to the thrower without waiting for the "fivers" to get all the way back to their positions (time it so that they have hustle back and it usually speeds things along nicely).

IREFU2 Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref
This is correct. No official should do anything other than this.

I agree!!!!!