The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 24, 2007, 04:50am
Official Forum Member

New Men's Mechanic?

I've noticed in a few NCAA mens games this season that the Trail is also chopping in the clock when the ball is inbounded on the end line in the frontcourt. This used to be a womens mechanic. Has it now been adopted by the men as well?
Old Sat Nov 24, 2007, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Yes, it's been adopted.
Old Sat Nov 24, 2007, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
They have also adopted keeping the bottom block open, nearest to the basket...another NC2A-W mechanic....now they need to go back to table side reporting!!!!!
Old Sat Nov 24, 2007, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IREFU2
They have also adopted keeping the bottom block open, nearest to the basket...another NC2A-W mechanic....now they need to go back to table side reporting!!!!!
Keeping the bottom block open is not a mechanic, it's a rule.
Old Sat Nov 24, 2007, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
I've noticed in a few NCAA mens games this season that the Trail is also chopping in the clock when the ball is inbounded on the end line in the frontcourt. This used to be a womens mechanic. Has it now been adopted by the men as well?
There is a difference, at least in the men's conference that I work for.

In the women's game, the trail chops all throw-ins that the lead administers (all on the end line).

In the men's game, the lead chops all of his own end line throw-ins. The trail only chops when the lead inbounds on the sideline (which is any sideline throw-in below the free-throw line).
Old Sat Nov 24, 2007, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Chopping is a mechanic that needs to go away and I only say that because if you get the timer to tell you honestly - they will tell you they watch the ball not the ref.
Old Sat Nov 24, 2007, 09:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebraman
There is a difference, at least in the men's conference that I work for.

In the women's game, the trail chops all throw-ins that the lead administers (all on the end line).

In the men's game, the lead chops all of his own end line throw-ins. The trail only chops when the lead inbounds on the sideline (which is any sideline throw-in below the free-throw line).
Z,
Does the Lead really administer throw-ins on the sideline in the NCAAM's game? I thought that the Trail handled all of those throw-ins with a bounce.
I know that the NCAAW has the Lead administer throw-ins on the sideline below the FT line extended as you note.

Also the Trail chopping which I have seen on TV has been when the Lead is administering on the end line.

PS To iRut, I don't work NCAA games. Haven't since I moved West. Therefore, I don't claim to know all the NCAA rules or their mechanics. I just try to more or less keep up, so that if I ever move back East again, I can get back into it. Hence why I asked. Now if you wish to discuss NFHS rules or mechanics OUTSIDE the state of Illinois, I am very confident in my knowledge.
Old Sat Nov 24, 2007, 09:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Z,
Does the Lead really administer throw-ins on the sideline in the NCAAM's game? I thought that the Trail handled all of those throw-ins with a bounce.
I know that the NCAAW has the Lead administer throw-ins on the sideline below the FT line extended as you note.

Also the Trail chopping which I have seen on TV has been when the Lead is administering on the end line.

PS To iRut, I don't work NCAA games. Haven't since I moved West. Therefore, I don't claim to know all the NCAA rules or their mechanics. I just try to more or less keep up, so that if I ever move back East again, I can get back into it. Hence why I asked. Now if you wish to discuss NFHS rules or mechanics OUTSIDE the state of Illinois, I am very confident in my knowledge.
If the throw-in is below the free throw line, the lead can bounce it across to the sideline...
Old Sat Nov 24, 2007, 09:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Z,
If below FT line on sideline in F/C, lead bounces ball to thrower and counts. Trail chops.
Old Sat Nov 24, 2007, 10:25pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
I believe it's recommended only in end-of-half situations. I'll check my CCA manual in the morning.
Old Sat Nov 24, 2007, 10:27pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
lead bounces ball to thrower and counts. Trail chops.
This is, frankly, one of the dumbest mechanics in the book. In my games, the Lead bounces and then gives up the play to the Trail, in order to officiate the post.
Old Sat Nov 24, 2007, 11:33pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
This is, frankly, one of the dumbest mechanics in the book. In my games, the Lead bounces and then gives up the play to the Trail, in order to officiate the post.
I'm not so sure he was right anyway. The whole purpose is to allow the Trail to be in a better position to officiate. I could be wrong, but I thought the Lead's only responsibility was to get the ball to the inbounder. When this mechanic first came out it wasn't clear, but I thought it was cleared up. Anyway, I agree with what you are saying...because it makes the most sense.
Old Sat Nov 24, 2007, 11:45pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
If below FT line on sideline in F/C, lead bounces ball to thrower and counts. Trail chops.
My understanding and the application of this has always been the Trail counts and chops. The Lead just administers the ball to the thrower. I could be wrong, but that is the way we have been doing this for a few years. This mechanic by the way is not new.

Peace
Old Sun Nov 25, 2007, 12:30am
Official Forum Member

Just had one in the UNC-BYU game. Lead bounced the ball to the sideline thrower and counted. Trail chopped.
Old Sun Nov 25, 2007, 12:41am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Just had one in the UNC-BYU game. Lead bounced the ball to the sideline thrower and counted. Trail chopped.
I am just telling you what I believe the mechanic book says, not what people actually are doing in some cases. We both know that those two things can be different.

Peace