The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 21, 2007, 08:51pm
Official Forum Member

Changing the bonus from shooting to an option

If there was a rules proposal to add an out of bounds throw in option on any foul in the bonus (i.e. the offended team can take the ball OOB instead of shooting a 1-1 or 2), what would you think of that?

I'm thinking that in situations this could help minimize fouling and all but eliminate fouls to stop the clock. Further, from what I've seen, free throw shooting is somewhere between poor and horrendous for many teams I work and I know some coaches that would gladly accept the ball for a throw in rather than chance a free throw late in the game. It would also force them to teach ball stealing techniques since constant fouling isn't going to get them anywhere.
Old Wed Nov 21, 2007, 08:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie
If there was a rules proposal to add an out of bounds throw in option on any foul in the bonus (i.e. the offended team can take the ball OOB instead of shooting a 1-1 or 2), what would you think of that?

I'm thinking that in situations this could help minimize fouling and all but eliminate fouls to stop the clock. Further, from what I've seen, free throw shooting is somewhere between poor and horrendous for many teams I work and I know some coaches that would gladly accept the ball for a throw in rather than chance a free throw late in the game. It would also force them to teach ball stealing techniques since constant fouling isn't going to get them anywhere.
Well, it would still stop the clock, but it would give the fouling team a lower chance of getting the ball.

It's an interesting idea.
Old Wed Nov 21, 2007, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Personally, I'd hate it. It's hard enough to get a coach to tell me if he wants a 30 or a full TO (and I don't give him much of a chance if he doesn't tell me right away, we just go full); I don't want to have to ask after every foul whether he wants the throws or the ball OOB.

Fouling at the end of the game and forcing teams to make FTs is an accepted practice.
Old Wed Nov 21, 2007, 09:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Fouling at the end of the game and forcing teams to make FTs is an accepted practice.
Its also bad for the game because 1) it prolongs it and 2) it allows teams to commit rules infractions to gain an advantage.

As far as choice goes, I don't think you'll have a big delay in getting a choice.
Old Wed Nov 21, 2007, 09:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Its also bad for the game because 1) it prolongs it and 2) it allows teams to commit rules infractions to gain an advantage.
Teams are allowed to commit rules infractions to gain an advantage throughout the game. They just have to be sure they make it look like they're just committing normal fouls. Just like at the end of the game.
Old Wed Nov 21, 2007, 09:11pm
Official Forum Member

I believe the NCAA tinkered with this a few years back in some of the pre season tournaments. I don't know what happened, but it hasn't resurfaced at that level.
Old Wed Nov 21, 2007, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

As far as choice goes, I don't think you'll have a big delay in getting a choice.
I see no way you shorten games overall - in fact this will lengthen them - because every foul after the bonus will require you to ask the coach or a captain what he wants, then you and your partners have to adjust to that to prepare for either a throw-in or a FT, whereas only at the end of close games will you have the other issue, and infractions are going to occur regardless, as teams will be aggressively trying to steal regardless.
Old Wed Nov 21, 2007, 09:54pm
Official Forum Member

Instead of 1-1 if the team trailing in the last X minutes fouls, it should be two shots for fouls 7, 8, & 9 and three shots beginning with the tenth foul.

Or basketball could adopt a clock run-off rule such as football has. Any foul in the final Y minutes by the team behind in the score also results in ten seconds being deducted from the clock.

Both of these would greatly discourage the tactic of fouling when behind late in the game.
Old Wed Nov 21, 2007, 11:35pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:

I've suggested this a few times among some locals. I've also suggested that hockey teams be allowed to choose a 2 minute power play rather than a penalty shot.
Old Wed Nov 21, 2007, 11:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
I've also suggested that hockey teams be allowed to choose a 2 minute power play rather than a penalty shot.
The hockey rule should be that if the penalty shot is not successful then the 2-minute penalty is still enforced.
Old Thu Nov 22, 2007, 11:16am
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by jer166
I believe the NCAA tinkered with this a few years back in some of the pre season tournaments. I don't know what happened, but it hasn't resurfaced at that level.
Jer166:

This was an experimental NCAA rule in the past; I forget the exact year. But since I never heard anything after that year, I can only assume it was not very a warmly received experiment.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Thu Nov 22, 2007, 02:18pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

Frankly, I support the idea. Just think of how much it would "clean up" the end of a close game. Defenders would have no reason to foul unless it was the result of them going for the ball. We wouldn't have all this controversy about whether or not a foul was intentional at the end of a game.

A lot of guys say that fouling at the end is just "part of the game". Well - it shouldn't be. Committing fouls on purpose is not what Dr. Naismith envisioned. I ought to know - I asked him personally.
Old Thu Nov 22, 2007, 04:17pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I still don't see why so many hate the idea of late game strategic fouls. Normally, at most, you'll see maybe 2 or 3 before one of three things happens.

1. It works, and the score gets tied.
2. The shooting team makes their shots and the lead gets so out of reach the trailing team doesn't bother.
3. The lead doesn't really change significantly, but the time continues to run off the clock, leading to the same result as #2.

I just don't understand why some see this is a problem.
Old Thu Nov 22, 2007, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member

The problem is that the introduction of the 3pt shot changed the situation dramatically. Before then it was not possible for a team to get more points on their possession than their opponents, if the opponents made their FTs. Now you can trade 2 for 3.
Old Thu Nov 22, 2007, 11:22pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:

If a team is not going to shoot the free throws and their opponents know it, why would they not be just as likely to foul?

Coach: "Go for the steal. Be aggressive! If you foul, so what? They take the ball out and we try again."

Lonesome Dove