The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 24, 2007, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Free Kick Option

We have begun reviewing rules and the practice test questions in our meetings. Last night we had a question that led to animated discussions.

The home team makes a fair catch of a punt (or is awarded one for kick catch interference) at their own 25 yard line with just seconds left in the game. On the first down play, quarterback A2 completes a pass to A3 who advances to B’s 28 where B2 grabs and pulls A2’s face mask to make the tackle in a side zone. Time expires during the play. Team A then requests to make a free kick from the center of the field at B’s 14. Ruling: request granted.

At the meeting I was adamant that this was false, but after reading, rereading, and reading the rule book and case book again, I am not so sure that this is false. Any ideas?
Old Tue Jul 24, 2007, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

I don't have my books in front of me but it seems to me that if a down is replayed in which there was a fair catch or awarded fair catch that A will have the choice of spotting the ball anywhere between the hash marks. I think Redding may have had a quiz question that deals with this.
Old Tue Jul 24, 2007, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

REPLY: The answer is TRUE. He can request a free kick.

Here's the rule which says he can choose to free kick again:
6-5-4: The captain may choose to free kick or snap anywhere between the inbounds lines on the yard line through the spot of the catch when a fair catch is made or through the spot of interference, when a fair catch is awarded. These choices remain if a dead ball foul occurs prior to the down, or a foul or an inadvertent whistle occurs during the down and the down is replayed. [Note: Contrary to some opinions, this down is really being replayed even though by his gain, he's being awarded a new series.]

And, here's the rule which says he can place the ball where he wants:
4-3-7: When a team may designate the spot along the proper yard line from which the ball is to be put in play, it shall have the same privilege if the down is to be replayed or a dead ball foul occurs.

Also, look at case book 6.5.4 Situation, specifically part (b).
Old Tue Jul 24, 2007, 12:07pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Darn it! I'm Canadian and I knew the answer to this one!

It would have been fun to be the one to supply the answer!
Old Tue Jul 24, 2007, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Bob M., the thing that was bothering me was, in fact, the "replaying of the down" - I couldn't get myself to believe that this was a replayed down. But if you strip all of the fluff away and get down to the nuts and bolts an accepted live ball penalty (with the obvious exceptions) requires the down to be replayed.

Weird one - thank you very much.
Old Tue Jul 24, 2007, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

I'm lost here... according to what I know of the rules (which is not much), the free kick after a fair catch is to be requested after the fair catch. But team A decided for a scrimmage play and completed a pass. At the end of that pass, a PF occurred and time expired.
From what I know, team A has a chance for a scrimmage play without time to end the game and, therefore, is not allowed to choose the spot of the ball.
I can't see a down being replayed since both the pass and the penalty resulted in a first down for team A.

Am I wrong?
Old Tue Jul 24, 2007, 03:06pm
Never Stop Learning

May sound outrageous, but Bob M. hit it on the head. Pretty severe penalty.
Old Tue Jul 24, 2007, 06:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvasques
I'm lost here... according to what I know of the rules (which is not much), the free kick after a fair catch is to be requested after the fair catch. But team A decided for a scrimmage play and completed a pass. At the end of that pass, a PF occurred and time expired.
From what I know, team A has a chance for a scrimmage play without time to end the game and, therefore, is not allowed to choose the spot of the ball.
I can't see a down being replayed since both the pass and the penalty resulted in a first down for team A.

Am I wrong?
You are incorrect. In NF, the team can decide to do a FCFKick even when they first decided to snap the ball and their was an accepted penalty on the play, or an IW occured. See Bob's post above and their is a case play in Redddings which covers it.
Old Wed Jul 25, 2007, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Reading the rule, an FK can be requested after a penalty on either team, correct?
Old Wed Jul 25, 2007, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadCityRef
Reading the rule, an FK can be requested after a penalty on either team, correct?
Yes, if the down is replayed, the same choices are on the table for A - they can snap the ball or free kick and pick the spot.
Old Wed Jul 25, 2007, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Hey Bob,

what if time has not expired yet? Say it's a tie game and 2 seconds are left. "A" elects to free-kick after the original play above (maybe they are further out, making the field goal attempt a little more dicey and therefore the free kick option more attractive).
When do you start the clock?
Old Wed Jul 25, 2007, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L
Hey Bob,

what if time has not expired yet? Say it's a tie game and 2 seconds are left. "A" elects to free-kick after the original play above (maybe they are further out, making the field goal attempt a little more dicey and therefore the free kick option more attractive).
When do you start the clock?
I'm not Bob, but you start the clock as would on every other free kick. The timing is no different than if it is a free kick after a score.
Old Wed Jul 25, 2007, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirby
I'm not Bob, but you start the clock as would on every other free kick. The timing is no different than if it is a free kick after a score.
This I know, but what does that mean in the grand scheme of things (consider the field goal attempt is good)and do you explain that to the coach once he indicates his choice to free kick?
Old Wed Jul 25, 2007, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

REPLY: Kirby's right. And think about this...if the free kick makes it to the goal line, the clock won't start at all. It will be R's ball 1-10 with 2 seconds left...provided, of course, that the attempt was unsuccessful.

Last edited by Bob M.; Wed Jul 25, 2007 at 12:38pm.
Old Wed Jul 25, 2007, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L
This I know, but what does that mean in the grand scheme of things (consider the field goal attempt is good)and do you explain that to the coach once he indicates his choice to free kick?
REPLY: No...I wouldn't necessarily explain all the ramifications of his choice to free kick. If he knew enough to request the free kick, I'm going to trust that he knows how a free kick is administered and how the clock behaves during a free kick. Would you do it differently?