The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 23, 2007, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phansen
According to the new rule, the throw-in ends when the ball is legally touched. (The tip by B) However there is no description from the time the throw-in ends until the time the ball is possessed or controlled by a team.

On pg 73 of the rulebook #1 it says that while a ball remains live, a loose ball is always in control of a team whose player last had control. #2 states there is no player or team control on the throw-in.

If the ball is live, it must be in control of a team according to the fundamental rules stated. The new rule about the throw in ending on a legal touch may be good but it created a new problem about control and possession. I don't think #99 should be over and back, but according to the new rules it is
Is the ball dead during a try, after it has left the hands of the shooter? Is it in control of any team?

I don't like NF rule (no control during throw-ins), but it is a rule: there are some more live ball periods when it is not in control of any team. What's the problem?
Old Fri Nov 23, 2007, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phansen
#1 it says that while a ball remains live, a loose ball is always in control of a team whose player last had control...If the ball is live, it must be in control of a team according to the fundamental rules stated.
All that means is that team control doesn't end on an interrupted dribble/loose ball after team control has been established. There is no team control until there is player control.

I am glad you pointed it out, however, as this "Fundamental" is poorly written considering that "loose balls" after throw-ins, jump balls, and tries/taps still have no team control until some player establishes player control.