The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 28, 2004, 06:11pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Hi all.

Well, I'm back reffing again - had my first two games in over 18 months last night. I think they went pretty well. The first one was a close, but scrappy affair, and after some initial gitters I slipped staright back into it. The scond game was a very one-sided blow out, which certainly made it easier for me to cope with the fatigue that was settling in

To be honest, it was easier than I thought - somewhat like riding a bike. I kicked a few calls early on, and my mechanics were a bit rusty, but overall I was prety happy with how it all went.

Anyone else returned to reffing after a substantial break? Any tips or lessons that you learnt?

Visit www.geocities.com/oz_referee
Old Wed Jul 28, 2004, 06:16pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Attaboy, Duane!
Old Wed Jul 28, 2004, 09:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Oz Referee
Hi all.

Well, I'm back reffing again - had my first two games in over 18 months last night. I think they went pretty well. The first one was a close, but scrappy affair, and after some initial gitters I slipped staright back into it. The scond game was a very one-sided blow out, which certainly made it easier for me to cope with the fatigue that was settling in

To be honest, it was easier than I thought - somewhat like riding a bike. I kicked a few calls early on, and my mechanics were a bit rusty, but overall I was prety happy with how it all went.

Anyone else returned to reffing after a substantial break? Any tips or lessons that you learnt?
Now all you need to do is get re-accustomed to typing!
Old Wed Jul 28, 2004, 10:45pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Oz,
I've actually done it a few times. Took some time off when my daughter was born, and when I went back to school for a year or so.
The best thing is to just jump in. It comes back pretty quickly.
Old Thu Jul 29, 2004, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Wink

Riding bikes is fun.

By all means make it a point to polish up those mechanics and sell your calls so that when you do kick one, your secret will be safe with you and your partner(s). Also, keep reading your case books to refresh the old melon on things you may have forgotten.

To me, nothing is worse than working with a partner that displays lazy mechanics.