View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 21, 2007, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks, Coach.

Are there some paycheck refs? Sure. Some guys who should know the rules better? Yep. But the vast majority of us are there for the kids, to work hard and call a good game and really make it a great experience for everyone.

I'm an attorney. I dont officiate for the money, that's for sure. I love the game. I miss playing. I love the sound of the squeak of shoes on the gym floor in the big room. The bounce of the ball. The comraderie. But most of all its for the kids.

I'll never forget a play that happened my first year of officiating, and I think most officials will relate to this. I was reffing a blow out freshman boys game. A is down by 30. At the buzzer of the game, A1 nails a deep 3--just over the half court line. Now this kid is a sub on the freshman team. He likely isnt going to play college ball. He may never even make HS varsity, in fact. But he was jumping up and down like he hit the winning shot in the NBA finals. And his teammates were all hyped up too (though they lost by 27). And at that moment I realized that that kid will probably tell the story of that shot for the rest of his life. That was, for him, the NBA finals. And I needed to officiate that game for those kids just as if it was. They deserve that. And I think most officials feel that way. They understand how important these games are for the kids.

So we might not always get it right. I appreciate your comments of support and thanks. That means alot. Just know, even if I miss a call or get something wrong, that we are out there doing our best to make the game as fair as we can for the kids.