The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 21, 2007, 06:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2Koach
What are the rules/etiquette/limits in helping out a partner? Does it depend on the type of call?
A general guideline: If there's something outside the calling official's focus that affects the call, I go to him / her. If the entire call is right in his/her area, then I leave it alone, unless asked.

So, on the OOB call -- if I saw a tip that happened away from the OOB line, I provide the help. On the hanging on the rim call, the official had it all.
Old Wed Nov 21, 2007, 06:49pm
Official Forum Member

Had a situation in a National Schools Championship,I was with a young inexperienced partner.FIBA had just begin the ruling where a payer who is flopping could be given a T.
Close game-outcome decides who is first or second in section,great match ups.Partner on lead low in area 5 -whistle blows and I had no idea what the call was likely to be-possibly a hand or leg out of cylinder that I didn't have an angle on.He came out with a T on the defender for a flop.
Coach is ballistic,the rookie was rattled.I took him to the middle of court,instructed captains etc to stay away while I talked him through his call.I suggested that while he might be technically correct,there had been no contact and that the interpretation of application that had been given was that a warning for flopping was to be given first.He thought about it said I cant take it back now--can I?I did the talking to coaches and captains-told the coach that we were taking T off his player-relieved coach.Opposition coach started to protest until I said that if it stood I would have to back my partner and call every flop in the game a T.Coach more than happy not to let that happen.

In the post game I went over the situation with my partner and I think some learning came from it-he is still reffing and is now a more experienced official.I still think I put the game first but also helped my partner out of a hole.
Old Fri Nov 23, 2007, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

I'm not sure you can reverse a T once its called.
Old Fri Nov 23, 2007, 12:19pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignats75
Sure you can, as long as it's the calling official that's doing the reversing. It's no different than reversing an OOB call if you find out that you had it wrong.
Old Fri Nov 23, 2007, 12:20pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignats75
Up until it's reported and in the book, sure you can.
Old Fri Nov 23, 2007, 12:25pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Up until it's reported and in the book, sure you can.
Hmmmmmm......

According to case book play 6.4.1SitD, you can can change an AP mistake up to the time that the ball touches a player in-bounds on a throw-in. Why would changing a technical foul call be different?
Old Fri Nov 23, 2007, 12:37pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Okay, so until the ball becomes live for the first free throw?
Old Fri Nov 23, 2007, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Hmmmmmm......

According to case book play 6.4.1SitD, you can can change an AP mistake up to the time that the ball touches a player in-bounds on a throw-in. Why would changing a technical foul call be different?
I'd be interested in hearing under what circumstances you'd change a T after it's in the book? Not saying you cant, just wondering the details of what would cause you to do it?
Old Fri Nov 23, 2007, 12:48pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
I'd be interested in hearing under what circumstances you'd change a T after it's in the book? Not saying you cant, just wondering the details of what would cause you to do it?
If one of my trusted partners informed me that I'd obviously misinterpreted what I had heard, I personally wouldn't have a problem rescinding a "T". It's really no different than any other call. If someone brings information to you that you might have screwed up a call, and you agree with what they're saying, why not change your call?
Old Fri Nov 23, 2007, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If one of my trusted partners informed me that I'd obviously misinterpreted what I had heard, I personally wouldn't have a problem rescinding a "T". It's really no different than any other call. If someone brings information to you that you might have screwed up a call, and you agree with what they're saying, why not change your call?
Nnot saying you shouldn't, just inquiring about your own judgment and criteria. Would you do this even after reporting? If it happened that way, would you explain to coaches?
Old Fri Nov 23, 2007, 12:59pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Nnot saying you shouldn't, just inquiring about your own judgment and criteria. Would you do this even after reporting? If it happened that way, would you explain to coaches?
Yes, I would change a call after reporting if I received some good input showing that I was wrong. If there is any doubt remaining in my mind though, I'm not changing the call.If I do change it, I would get both coaches together(with a partner handy as a silent witness), tell them that I changed the call because I was wrong, and then walk away and get the game going without getting into a discussion on it with either coach.

That's just me though.
Old Fri Nov 23, 2007, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes, I would change a call after reporting if I received some good input showing that I was wrong. If there is any doubt remaining in my mind though, I'm not changing the call.If I do change it, I would get both coaches together(with a partner handy as a silent witness), tell them that I changed the call because I was wrong, and then walk away and get the game going without getting into a discussion on it with either coach.

That's just me though.
Yabut....

Your opinion counts for a lot. Thanks for the explanation. I appreciate you spelling out the details. What I'm working on this year (from the stands) is getting into the heads of experienced, capable refs so I can adjust my own judgment and decisions to that level.
Old Sat Nov 24, 2007, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yabut....

Your opinion counts for a lot. Thanks for the explanation. I appreciate you spelling out the details. What I'm working on this year (from the stands) is getting into the heads of experienced, capable refs so I can adjust my own judgment and decisions to that level.
I had a play earlier this year. My partner was administering a FT, then blew teh whistle and indicated a technical foul on the defender. I "assumed" that is was for touching / dislodging the ball.

He reported it, the coach squawked a little, we administered the FTs and went on with the game.

After the game, my partner indicated that the T was for stepping OOB with both feet.

Had he come to me after reporting and before the FTs (and maybe even before the subsequent throw-in), I would have suggested that we reverse the T.
Old Sat Nov 24, 2007, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
I had a play earlier this year. My partner was administering a FT, then blew teh whistle and indicated a technical foul on the defender. I "assumed" that is was for touching / dislodging the ball.

He reported it, the coach squawked a little, we administered the FTs and went on with the game.

After the game, my partner indicated that the T was for stepping OOB with both feet.

Had he come to me after reporting and before the FTs (and maybe even before the subsequent throw-in), I would have suggested that we reverse the T.
Agreed.
Old Sat Nov 24, 2007, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

That's just me though.
Not just you, JR. Good solid advice.