View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 21, 2007, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Question: helping your partner(s)

I don't this particular topic is in the rulebook so I figured this would be the best place to ask about it. What limits do officials have as far as helping their partner on obvious calls that are missed? In the past, I have seen obvious out-of-bounds calls where the first official will signal one way and the partner will come in and let his partner know he saw something more definitive and change the call. I always appreciate officials that work together like this to get a call correct.

I've also seen plays where one official obviously gets it wrong, and the partner will admit as much but will not help out or change the call. Specifically, I was watching a game a while back and a player came flying in on an offensive rebound. The defense had tried to take a charge so there were several bodies piled up underneath the basket. The flying offensive rebounder (the kid was figuratively flying! (i LITERALLY hate the misuse of LITERALLY!)) grabbed the rim as there was nowhere to land beneath him. Lead official calls a Technical foul. As the Lead is reporting the foul, the coach asks "what did he do??" and the Lead says "you know he can't hang on the rim like that!"

As the FTs are being administered, the Trail official on that play is now in front of the scorers area and the coach asks him why its a Technical foul when there were 2 or 3 bodies on the ground under the basket. The Trail says, "yeah, I saw that coach". Coach asks why he can't go help his partner and the Trail says "it's his call".

What are the rules/etiquette/limits in helping out a partner? Does it depend on the type of call?