The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 15, 2007, 02:11pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Lightbulb

Simple solution to all of these problems. Prior to the game, ask each coach if they want to buy foul insurance.
Old Thu Nov 15, 2007, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Cute.

I didn't happen to see you used the word "impartial" in there anywhere...but I'm sure a coach can tell me all sorts of stuff without being even slightly impartial.

Question is, does it have value to me?

Better question is why would I call or email him after the game to ask him if he thought I sucked.
NO. not impartial. NEVER.. LOL but.. if you call a violation on his guys the same all the way through the game a coach will recognize that.
Old Thu Nov 15, 2007, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfanmike20
NO. not impartial. NEVER.. LOL but.. if you call a violation on his guys the same all the way through the game a coach will recognize that.
...and again, why would I ask a coach to evaluate my performance? He'll have an opportunity to rate me.

Am I open to criticism? Absolutely. Do I evaluate my own performance during a game? Sure. Do I ask my partners for input if I think I'm not quite having the best game of my life? Yes. Do I ask a coach during or after a game what he thought of my game? Never.
Old Thu Nov 15, 2007, 02:37pm
Huck Finn

The old rules interpreter for a board in Maryland used to give coaches a test before the season. He would always only have one or two that passed. If a coach can't pass a test similar to the one we take, how can they give an impartial evaluation?
In Mississippi the coaches do evaluate the officials. Those that know me I'm always in danger of getting a bad eval because I'm there to do the best job I can and I don't care what the coach says. On Saturday I had the opportunity to ask a coach when he actually did the evaluation. He told me that he never does it right after the game. He said he likes to wait, watch the film and then do it. If only all the coaches did it this way.

One thing that alarms me about this conversation is the same problem I see in officiating. Back in the day a term was often used - be seen and not heard. Currently, reading the rules makes an official think he/she knows enough to participate in conversations - conversations that discuss doing things on the court that they simply cannot do.
I said all of that to say this. There are experienced officials on this board that are giving their opinion and constantly meeting opposition. Think about this for a second. Someone who has experienced something is giving an opinion and someone who hasn't had the experience is disputing that. Doesn't make sense to me. The bottom line is coaches do not like officials. They are not your friends. Some might think those two statements are extreme and they may be. But those two statements are a lot closer to the truth than thinking a coach is going to give an unbiased opinion.

Gunman out!
Old Thu Nov 15, 2007, 02:44pm
Archaic Power Monger

I apologize for dipping my toes in the basketball waters; however, this seems to be a topic that covers multiple sports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfanmike20
In my experience of officiating baseball, football, and coaching football (hey only two seasons, put the pitchforks away!) the amount of coaches that are able to do this are a small percentage. I've had the occasional losing coach tell me I've done a good job but the comments of "call it both ways" are much more common.

Aside from a few personal friends that are coaches, I would not actively solicit the opinions of coaches from games that you've worked. I would imagine that is only going to invite more problems than it would solve.

tomegun, well said!

On an unrelated note, I might have to get in on this basketball officiating thingy, you guys have way too much fun here.

Last edited by Welpe; Thu Nov 15, 2007 at 02:49pm.
Old Thu Nov 15, 2007, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In Mississippi the coaches do evaluate the officials. Those that know me I'm always in danger of getting a bad eval because I'm there to do the best job I can and I don't care what the coach says.TOMEGUN
Having said that you are in danger, we know you are a good official; does your assignor or commissioner back you up when you get poor evaluations? My experience is that most commissioner especially at the High school level will not back the official up and be afraid to go against the system because they may loose the contract if they oppose the coaches and the AD's. IMO that has been my experience. As you stated.

Last edited by REFVA; Thu Nov 15, 2007 at 02:55pm.
Old Thu Nov 15, 2007, 03:00pm
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junker
Did you have game management talk to him?
No, I felt really comfortable about how I was calling the game so while I was at T (2 person) on a free throw administration I discreetly asked him if he wanted to hang around for the varsity contest or if he would rather me hit the eject button now.

I know that wasn't procedure but...

Result:
I never heard another word from him that night. He's a great, brilliant HS coach & led his squad to the 5A Boys State Championship last season.

I did see him often over the summer as I worked all the Pro-AM & DPS summer leagues I could get my hands on & he showed respect each time our paths crossed.
Old Thu Nov 15, 2007, 03:33pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town
No, I felt really comfortable about how I was calling the game so while I was at T (2 person) on a free throw administration I discreetly asked him if he wanted to hang around for the varsity contest or if he would rather me hit the eject button now.

I know that wasn't procedure but...

Procedure? I would have to say that in this particular instance, who cares what "procedure" is! It worked, and it seems like the coach got your message loud and clear...sounds like something Bhuck Elics or Jon Diebler would do! Good on ya, mate.
Old Thu Nov 15, 2007, 03:44pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
...sounds like something Bhuck Elics or Jon Diebler would do!
Bhuck Elics is no Jon Diebler. Jon is on a whole 'nother plane. There's just no comparison.

Sorry, Bhuck but there it is.
Old Thu Nov 15, 2007, 03:46pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by REFVA
Having said that you are in danger, we know you are a good official; does your assignor or commissioner back you up when you get poor evaluations? My experience is that most commissioner especially at the High school level will not back the official up and be afraid to go against the system because they may loose the contract if they oppose the coaches and the AD's. IMO that has been my experience. As you stated.
I don't think he backs me up. I normally send emails to tell him, and explain, before he hears it elsewhere.
For instance, he was in the stands during a rivalry game last year. I'm at the C in front of a coach and one of my partners calls a non-shooting foul. The coach felt like it should have been a shooting foul. Because he didn't get a shooting foul he said, "See ref, that is just racial." Nobody was paying attention to our side of the court until I wheeled on him and whacked is ***! I'm black, the coach was black and my partner is white. There is NO place for that in high school basketball! There is no place for that on the planet! He got the foul for crying out loud. My partner is a racist because he didn't give him a shooting foul? The assigner seemed to vanish after the game. This coach was a problem - noticed I said was as in his *** got the boot - and the assigner didn't even bother to come into our dressing room to find out what happened.
Old Thu Nov 15, 2007, 04:01pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Bhuck Elics is no Jon Diebler. Jon is on a whole 'nother plane. There's just no comparison.

Sorry, Bhuck but there it is.
Ooh, he went and said it!
Old Thu Nov 15, 2007, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't think he backs me up. I normally send emails to tell him, and explain, before he hears it elsewhere.
TOMEGUN
I hear you.. we as officals are on an Island alone. Coaches don't like us, the players don't like us, the fans don't like us and our association leaders don't back us.

But everyday I enjoy getting on that court doing my job.
Old Thu Nov 15, 2007, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by REFVA
I hear you.. we as officals are on an Island alone. Coaches don't like us, the players don't like us, the fans don't like us and our association leaders don't back us.

But everyday I enjoy getting on that court doing my job.
What are you talking about? WE aren't out there alone -- we don't like you either! It's just you refva. You out there all by yourself against the whole world.
Old Thu Nov 15, 2007, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Ooh, he went and said it!
Did you know Bhuck Elics backwards spells Scile Kcuhb?

Food for thought my friend...
Old Thu Nov 15, 2007, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Did you know Bhuck Elics backwards spells Scile Kcuhb?

Food for thought my friend...
Thank goodness you're misspelling it correctly...