The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 08, 2007, 06:55pm
Official Forum Member

Tech before game- sub free throw shooter

this was one of the IAABO questions, I said Yes because I thought I remembered reading it. Prior to the game, team B is charged with a T. A-6 replaces A-1, the designated started to attempt the free throws. Official allows A-6 in.

If it is Yes does A-6 have to leave the game after the free throws? I couldnt find the cites in the rules or case book
Old Thu Nov 08, 2007, 06:58pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpbreeze
this was one of the IAABO questions, I said Yes because I thought I remembered reading it. Prior to the game, team B is charged with a T. A-6 replaces A-1, the designated started to attempt the free throws. Official allows A-6 in.

If it is Yes does A-6 have to leave the game after the free throws? I couldnt find the cites in the rules or case book
Yes, A6 can shoot. No, he does not have to leave the game after the free throws.
The restriction is now on the player he replaced. That player cannot re-enter until the clock has correctly run.
Old Thu Nov 08, 2007, 07:06pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS Simplified & Illustrated book:

8-3 The pregame dunk in (1) dictates the game will begin with the administration of the free throws. In (2), No. 11 who was not designated to start, legally enters to attempt one or both of the free throws. The replaced starter may not return until after the clock has run following the last free throw.
Old Thu Nov 08, 2007, 09:49pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

In this situation, could A7 replace A6 after the free throws?

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Thu Nov 08, 2007, 09:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man

Yes.
Old Fri Nov 09, 2007, 04:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man
8.2 SITUATION: A1 is unable to attempt either of the two free throws awarded because A1 was injured during the play. A6 enters, replaces A1 and attempts the first free throw. A7 reports and enters to replace A6. RULING: A7 must return to the bench and A6 remains in the game to attempt the second free throw. Since A6 replaced A1, A6 must shoot both free throws, unless A6 is injured or disqualified before attempting the second free throw. If this situation involved technical foul free throws, A7 would be allowed to enter and attempt the second free throw. (8-3)
Old Fri Nov 09, 2007, 04:07am
Official Forum Member

2006-07 NFHS Basketball Rules Interpretations

SITUATION 11: A1 is injured during a play in which he/she was fouled. As a result, A1 cannot attempt the awarded free throws. A6 replaces A1 and attempts the free throws, which are successful. Team A then calls a time-out. At the conclusion of the time-out, (a) A1 is ready to play, or (b) A7 replaces A6. RULING: In (a), A1 may not re-enter the game until the next opportunity to substitute after the clock has properly started. Legal substitution in (b); A6 may leave the game at any time. Substitution restrictions only apply to being withdrawn and attempting to re-enter without the clock properly starting. (8-2; 3-3-4)
Old Fri Nov 09, 2007, 07:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
2006-07 NFHS Basketball Rules Interpretations

SITUATION 11: A1 is injured during a play in which he/she was fouled. As a result, A1 cannot attempt the awarded free throws. A6 replaces A1 and attempts the free throws, which are successful. Team A then calls a time-out. At the conclusion of the time-out, (a) A1 is ready to play, or (b) A7 replaces A6. RULING: In (a), A1 may not re-enter the game until the next opportunity to substitute after the clock has properly started. Legal substitution in (b); A6 may leave the game at any time. Substitution restrictions only apply to being withdrawn and attempting to re-enter without the clock properly starting. (8-2; 3-3-4)
Does the injury provision apply to this situation? I would have thought that since A6 entered to shoot the technical free throws, then that player becomes a starter basically. What would allow you to substitute again for A6 (with A7 for instance) without another technical or tick coming off the clock?
Old Fri Nov 09, 2007, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbilla
Does the injury provision apply to this situation? I would have thought that since A6 entered to shoot the technical free throws, then that player becomes a starter basically. What would allow you to substitute again for A6 (with A7 for instance) without another technical or tick coming off the clock?
The ball has become live and the game started once he shoots the first free throw. I'd think you could sub for any player on the court at that point, unless there's an explicit provision against this.
Old Fri Nov 09, 2007, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018
The ball has become live and the game started once he shoots the first free throw. I'd think you could sub for any player on the court at that point, unless there's an explicit provision against this.
Exactly correct.
Old Fri Nov 09, 2007, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018
Gotcha, good call makes sense...
Old Fri Nov 09, 2007, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbilla
Remember there is no restriction on a player leaving the game only on someone entering. So unless the player is a designated jumper or free thrower, he can depart on any dead ball.

For your specific question, if designated starter A1 is injured prior to the game, then A6 may replace him without penalty. If a technical foul happens prior to the jumpball, then A6 could be replaced by A7 immediately if A7 is going to attempt either of the FTs. If a personal foul or violation occurs after the ball becomes live on the jumpball, but before it ends, then A7 may replace A6 or any other starter (provided this player is not a designated FT shooter or jumper) immediately during that dead ball period and does not have to attempt any FTs.