The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 04, 2007, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
I knew that what he said about the Fed was correct. I'm surprised it's legal to step oob around a screen in NCAA. Or am I mis interpreting?
The step itself is legal. What's illegal is to be the first (they mean "next") person to touch the ball after returning inbounds.
Old Sun Nov 04, 2007, 05:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
The step itself is legal. What's illegal is to be the first (they mean "next") person to touch the ball after returning inbounds.
Interesting. So why don't we see this more often? Use a quick give, step out to get rid of the defense, and then go! Seems like a great play if legal?
Old Sun Nov 04, 2007, 08:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Interesting. So why don't we see this more often? Use a quick give, step out to get rid of the defense, and then go! Seems like a great play if legal?
errrr....why is it a good play to have 20% of your team OOB? Did you miss the part of the rule that says this player cannnot be the first to touch when he comes back in?
Old Sun Nov 04, 2007, 08:13pm
PYRef

Quote:
I knew that what he said about the Fed was correct. I'm surprised it's legal to step oob around a screen in NCAA. Or am I mis interpreting?
NCAA
9-4-1: A player who steps OOB under his/her own volition and then becomes the first player to touch the ball after returning to the playing court has comitted a violation.

10-3-9: Deceptively leaving the playing court for an unauthorized reason and returning at a more advantageous position is a Technical foul.
Old Sun Nov 04, 2007, 09:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
errrr....why is it a good play to have 20% of your team OOB? Did you miss the part of the rule that says this player cannnot be the first to touch when he comes back in?
Hey, I'll ask the questions here!

Maybe I'm not understanding what's legal and what's illegal. Let me try a caseplay, maybe that'll clarify what I mean. Which will help clarify the rule.

A1 dribbling up the sideline in backcourt (I know, stupid, but we're not talking D1 here!) B1 has good tight defensive position alongside. B2 and B3 set a screen directly infront of A1 just beyond the division line. A1 sees the play set up, passes to A2 who is just crossing the division line between the tops of the keys. Now A1 steps oob around the screen, and behind the screen (FC) steps back inbounds. A2 still has the ball. Now A1 is back inbounds, and A2 has the ball. If A2 passed to A1, would A1 be the first to touch after coming back in? A2 still had "possession" when A1 established herself inbounds, so wouldn't A2 be the "first to touch"? If you practiced this, and pulled it off, seems to me you'd be gumming up three defenders at midcourt and clearing A1 for a pretty good cut to the basket.

But perhaps there's something I don't understand.
Old Sun Nov 04, 2007, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Hey, I'll ask the questions here!

Maybe I'm not understanding what's legal and what's illegal. Let me try a caseplay, maybe that'll clarify what I mean. Which will help clarify the rule.

A1 dribbling up the sideline in backcourt (I know, stupid, but we're not talking D1 here!) B1 has good tight defensive position alongside. B2 and B3 set a screen directly infront of A1 just beyond the division line. A1 sees the play set up, passes to A2 who is just crossing the division line between the tops of the keys. Now A1 steps oob around the screen, and behind the screen (FC) steps back inbounds. A2 still has the ball. Now A1 is back inbounds, and A2 has the ball. If A2 passed to A1, would A1 be the first to touch after coming back in? A2 still had "possession" when A1 established herself inbounds, so wouldn't A2 be the "first to touch"? If you practiced this, and pulled it off, seems to me you'd be gumming up three defenders at midcourt and clearing A1 for a pretty good cut to the basket.

But perhaps there's something I don't understand.
In your play, it would be violation in NCAA. Since A2 had the ball when A1 went OOB, as soon as A1 caught the pass from A2, A1 would be "the first to touch" after coming back inbounds. If A2 happened to pass it to A3 while A1 is coming back inbounds, then A3 passes it to A1, that would be legal.

The "usual" play where this happens is the screen along the baseline that frees up the 3-point shooter. A1 might be guarded in the right corner while A2 holds the ball at the top of the key. A's teammates set the screen on A1's defender, A1 runs OOB along the baseline to the other corner, A2 hits them with pass and A1 hits the 3 pointer.

(Used with permission.)
Old Mon Nov 05, 2007, 12:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
In your play, it would be violation in NCAA. Since A2 had the ball when A1 went OOB, as soon as A1 caught the pass from A2, A1 would be "the first to touch" after coming back inbounds. If A2 happened to pass it to A3 while A1 is coming back inbounds, then A3 passes it to A1, that would be legal.

The "usual" play where this happens is the screen along the baseline that frees up the 3-point shooter. A1 might be guarded in the right corner while A2 holds the ball at the top of the key. A's teammates set the screen on A1's defender, A1 runs OOB along the baseline to the other corner, A2 hits them with pass and A1 hits the 3 pointer.
Okay, so theoretically, in Fed there's no way to pull this off legally, but in NCAA, if you could time the passes carefully, you might. I'm guessing it's more trouble than it's worth?
Old Mon Nov 05, 2007, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
A1 sees the play set up, passes to A2 who is just crossing the division line between the tops of the keys. Now A1 steps oob around the screen, and behind the screen (FC) steps back inbounds. A2 still has the ball.
If A1 has passed out of the trap why would A2 pass the ball back to that sideline? He would be smarter to pass the ball to the other side or better into the lane for a layup.

You don't beat a press by keeping the ball where the defense is. You beat it by getting the ball and offensive players where the defense aint.

As M says, this type of thing is mostly seen on the endline as the ball is swung to the weak side.
Old Mon Nov 05, 2007, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
If A1 has passed out of the trap why would A2 pass the ball back to that sideline? He would be smarter to pass the ball to the other side or better into the lane for a layup.

You don't beat a press by keeping the ball where the defense is. You beat it by getting the ball and offensive players where the defense aint.
It wouldn't go where the defense is. It would go to that sideline where the trap (three players, remember) is now behind the play.

But I'm obviously wrong. I mean, I started this thought with the wonderment that no one does this, so clearly it's not useful.

Now you know why I'm a (low-level) ref, and not a coach (at any level).
Old Mon Nov 05, 2007, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It wouldn't go where the defense is. It would go to that sideline where the trap (three players, remember) is now behind the play.

But I'm obviously wrong. I mean, I started this thought with the wonderment that no one does this, so clearly it's not useful.

Now you know why I'm a (low-level) ref, and not a coach (at any level).
Don't be too hard on yourself; I've never called this, and I've only seen it called once, so it's not all that common. But now you hopefully understand the violation a little better, so you can watch for it when some Bobby-Knight-wannabe trys to slip this past you, thinking you're just a (low-level) ref.

(Used with permission.)
Old Mon Nov 05, 2007, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to tjchamp
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
If A1 was still out of bounds when A3 caught the pass, then A3 passes to A1, wouldn't that be illegal. The rule says the first player to touch the ball after returning to the playing court has comitted a violation.

Situation would be A1 on right wing passs to a2 at top of key, then delays a second, goes around the post screen oob at baseline. While out of bounds, a2 passes to a3 at left wing. A1 then gets back inbounds on block on left side and receives pass from a3. Vioation, or legal?
Old Mon Nov 05, 2007, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjchamp
If A1 was still out of bounds when A3 caught the pass, then A3 passes to A1, wouldn't that be illegal. The rule says the first player to touch the ball after returning to the playing court has comitted a violation.

Situation would be A1 on right wing passs to a2 at top of key, then delays a second, goes around the post screen oob at baseline. While out of bounds, a2 passes to a3 at left wing. A1 then gets back inbounds on block on left side and receives pass from a3. Vioation, or legal?
Sure, if A3 has the ball while A1 is OOB, then A3 passes it to A1 after A1 comes back inbounds - violation.

I just haven't seen it called all that often, so either it doesn't happen, or it isn't high on many officials' list of things to call.

(Used with permission.)