The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   running out of bounds, screen (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/39348-running-out-bounds-screen.html)

lpbreeze Sat Nov 03, 2007 07:50pm

running out of bounds, screen

this goes to 9-3-3 C. I think it is a violation but in this case it is A going out of bounds instead of B. A-2 sets screen near end line for A-1 and A-1 uses screen and goes out of bounds. official says rules violation.

Is that right, if not then would A be ok going out of bounds along with B following?

JugglingReferee Sat Nov 03, 2007 07:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by lpbreeze
this goes to 9-3-3 C. I think it is a violation but in this case it is A going out of bounds instead of B. A-2 sets screen near end line for A-1 and A-1 uses screen and goes out of bounds. official says rules violation.

Is that right, if not then would A be ok going out of bounds along with B following?

Had this a few years ago in a tournament final. A-1 catches a pass when back IB and nails a 3. Haha - ya right. I killed the play before the swoosh and rang him up.

truerookie Sat Nov 03, 2007 07:59pm

Quote:

Yes, calling the violation is the right thing to do here. It is not ok for either A or B to go out of bounds intentionally. It is a violation in both situations

lpbreeze Sat Nov 03, 2007 08:00pm

it also says as soon as A-1 steps out of bounds a violation is called. If there is a delay then it would be a violation for sure. I'm just not positive if you call it right away. I was leaning to yes it is a violation but now I can think of times when I ran out of bounds using a screen so I think it might be legal

lpbreeze Sat Nov 03, 2007 08:03pm

ok I didn't see your two posts.

So there are times when you can run out of bounds but in this case because A-1 in using the screen has to go out of bounds he is getting an advantage so a violation..

truerookie Sat Nov 03, 2007 08:03pm

Quote:

it also says as soon as A-1 steps out of bounds a violation is called. If there is a delay then it would be a violation for sure. I'm just not positive if you call it right away. I was leaning to yes it is a violation but now I can think of times when I ran out of bounds using a screen so I think it might be legal

In Fed's it is not legal for you to leave the court unauthorizedly.. I think:NCAA you can as long as you are not the first to touch the ball once you return to the court.

rainmaker Sat Nov 03, 2007 08:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by truerookie
In Fed's it is not legal for you to leave the court unauthorizedly.. I think:NCAA you can as long as you are not the first to touch the ball once you return to the court.

Around a screen???? I certainly hope you're wrong.

rainmaker Sat Nov 03, 2007 08:08pm

Quote:

ok I didn't see your two posts.

So there are times when you can run out of bounds but in this case because A-1 in using the screen has to go out of bounds he is getting an advantage so a violation..

Fed, you can go out of bounds when your momentum carries you, and you must come back in asap, and directly. You can't go oob intentionally to gain an advantage.

Jurassic Referee Sat Nov 03, 2007 08:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
Had this a few years ago in a tournament final. A-1 catches a pass when back IB and nails a 3. Haha - ya right. I killed the play before the swoosh and rang him up.

You were right a few years ago. Now it's an immediate violation, not a technical foul.

JugglingReferee Sat Nov 03, 2007 08:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
You were right a few years ago. Now it's an immediate violation, not a technical foul.

Yup. Do you think they changed it because they wanted more officials to call it?

rainmaker Sat Nov 03, 2007 08:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
Yup. Do you think they changed it because they wanted more officials to call it?

That's the reason they gave.

Mark Dexter Sat Nov 03, 2007 09:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainmaker

Legal.

9-4.1: A player who steps out of bounds under his/her own volition and then
becomes the first player to touch the ball after returning to the playing court
has committed a violation.

Jurassic Referee Sun Nov 04, 2007 01:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainmaker

Case book play 9.3.3SitB says that he's right for FED.Were you referring to NCAA rules?

Nevadaref Sun Nov 04, 2007 03:30am

Because he's also correct about the NCAA rule as posted by Dexter.

rainmaker Sun Nov 04, 2007 03:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Case book play 9.3.3SitB says that he's right for FED.Were you referring to NCAA rules?

I knew that what he said about the Fed was correct. I'm surprised it's legal to step oob around a screen in NCAA. Or am I mis interpreting?