The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 30, 2007, 02:50pm
PYRef

So an alert coach who sees his team may lose possession on a fast break in this sitch may call a timeout to try and get it granted??

Good move if it works.
Old Tue Oct 30, 2007, 03:00pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
The NFHS POI rule was adopted in the 2005-06 season, and if Idaho wasn't officiating for a couple of years, it is new to him.
I thought this POI was in effect prior to that, on an IW during a throwin.
Old Tue Oct 30, 2007, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes, POI governs this play.

RULE 4, SECTION 36 POINT OF INTERRUPTION
ART. 1 . . . Method of resuming play due to an official's accidental whistle, an interrupted game, as in 5-4-3, a correctable error, as in 2-10-6, a double personal, double technical or simultaneous foul, as in 4-19-8 and 4-19-10.
ART. 2 …Play shall be resumed by one of the following:

a. A throw-in to the team that was in control at a spot nearest to where the ball was located when the stoppage occurred.
b. A free throw or a throw-in when the stoppage occurred during this activity or if a team is entitled to such.
c. An alternating-possession throw-in when the point of interruption is such that neither team is in control and no goal, infraction
, nor end of quarter/extra period is involved.
I am going to play devil's advocate here. By strict rule definition there is no team control in the initial play. Team A was throwing it in and ball was released when whistle blew. POI specifically states the throwin to team in control when stoppage ocuured and AP throw in when point of interruption is such that neither team is in control...
If a foul ocuured while ball was in the air, you would not have a team control foul but a common foul and if in bonus it would be 1+1...

So If there is no team control, why by rule would you put this in play with POI? BecauseSection b clearly states however that play resumes by a throw-in if stoppage occurred during this activity....

Lets look at the technical absuridity of this rule...

Original play ball is not touched we have IW and we give the ball back to Team A because the IW occurred during the throw-in..

Modify the play... Team B barely brushes the ball ball on the throw-in as it is being passed in bounds from A1 to A2. Throw-in is now over. There is no team control, there is no throw-in, now by rule we have to go to the arrow.

This is where I think the rules need to change. My editorial comment.... I think it is stupid that player A is standing out of bounds holding the ball and we say that the team is not in control because we worry about writing some sort of exception in the book so that we dont have BC or a three second call, or some other infaction tied to team control on a throw-in.
Old Wed Oct 31, 2007, 03:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin green
I am going to play devil's advocate here. By strict rule definition there is no team control in the initial play. Team A was throwing it in and ball was released when whistle blew. POI specifically states the throwin to team in control when stoppage ocuured and AP throw in when point of interruption is such that neither team is in control...
If a foul ocuured while ball was in the air, you would not have a team control foul but a common foul and if in bonus it would be 1+1...

So If there is no team control, why by rule would you put this in play with POI? BecauseSection b clearly states however that play resumes by a throw-in if stoppage occurred during this activity....

Lets look at the technical absuridity of this rule...

Original play ball is not touched we have IW and we give the ball back to Team A because the IW occurred during the throw-in..

Modify the play... Team B barely brushes the ball ball on the throw-in as it is being passed in bounds from A1 to A2. Throw-in is now over. There is no team control, there is no throw-in, now by rule we have to go to the arrow.

This is where I think the rules need to change. My editorial comment.... I think it is stupid that player A is standing out of bounds holding the ball and we say that the team is not in control because we worry about writing some sort of exception in the book so that we dont have BC or a three second call, or some other infaction tied to team control on a throw-in.
What's absurd is that there are no defensive players during that time.
Old Wed Oct 31, 2007, 03:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
I thought this POI was in effect prior to that, on an IW during a throwin.
I don't see how you could say that because there was no definition of POI in the book prior to that season. In short, the rule didn't exist.
Old Wed Oct 31, 2007, 08:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What's absurd is that there are no defensive players during that time.
I am not going to disagree!