The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 26, 2007, 07:42am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar
Question - what if one or two players also stood up at about the same time and mouthed off? Would you whack em all?
I would personally. You do the crime, you do the time. That's only fair imo. Note that there are no hard and fast rules though. Sometimes a warning might be a better option. It's whatever feels right to do at that particular time in that particular game.

It's amazing how quickly they learn after they get whacked, "they" being everybody on the bench. Note though that I've never believed in bench watching. If I see it, I'll take care of it. If I hear it and it's exceptionally bad but I can't identify who said it, I'll get the person responsible for bench conduct----> the coach. Works for me. Other methods may work just as well for other officials. As long as the game is controlled, who cares?

Jmo.......
Old Fri Oct 26, 2007, 08:03am
Official Forum Member

Wait a minute... If they had screamed "Bhudda"...or "Confuscious" or "Ghandi" would you have T'd them up??

In this age of PC, it behooves you to consider everyone's feelings.

Sorry, I was watching Hannity and Colmbes, and Colmbes was on last. Please disregard.
Old Fri Oct 26, 2007, 08:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHtown
Wait a minute... If they had screamed "Bhudda"...or "Confuscious" or "Ghandi" would you have T'd them up??

Sorry, I was watching Hannity and Colmbes, and Colmbes was on last. Please disregard.
Wasn't very funny to begin with, but then you screwed up every name in here except Hannity's. That might send a message.
Old Fri Oct 26, 2007, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

You go girl! I agree!
Old Fri Oct 26, 2007, 10:32am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
I would personally. You do the crime, you do the time. That's only fair imo. Note that there are no hard and fast rules though. Sometimes a warning might be a better option. It's whatever feels right to do at that particular time in that particular game.

It's amazing how quickly they learn after they get whacked, "they" being everybody on the bench. Note though that I've never believed in bench watching. If I see it, I'll take care of it. If I hear it and it's exceptionally bad but I can't identify who said it, I'll get the person responsible for bench conduct----> the coach. Works for me. Other methods may work just as well for other officials. As long as the game is controlled, who cares?

Jmo.......
Control, especially for high school and below is the key and where I think we are failing. A lot of these things happen because one official, then a crew, then an association let them happen. Start handing out Ts like it is next Wednesday and I bet they would stop all the BS. As much of it at least.
Old Fri Oct 26, 2007, 10:57am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
Control, especially for high school and below is the key and where I think we are failing. A lot of these things happen because one official, then a crew, then an association let them happen. Start handing out Ts like it is next Wednesday and I bet they would stop all the BS. As much of it at least.
Last year was my first year in this association, and my first year doing the boys AAU league this happened in. I had a coach T in three straight games. One ran right through a warning. The "JC" scream. And an AC coach stood up to complain along with his HC when I called their star athlete for a travel right before he got fouled.
Things went much more smoothly after that.
Old Fri Oct 26, 2007, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Just the head coach is enough to me. I'd make sure sometime soon after that he got a message from me or my partners that he better maintain control of his bench.
Old Fri Oct 26, 2007, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

IMO the head coach call was a good one. If there is a problem with the message getting through & the AC continues then he gets one. Game management & control are the desirable outcomes so I believe initially one is better than two.
Old Fri Oct 26, 2007, 11:44am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junker
Just the head coach is enough to me. I'd make sure sometime soon after that he got a message from me or my partners that he better maintain control of his bench.
They were perfect angels the rest of the game. They got the message.
Old Fri Oct 26, 2007, 12:03pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
Does that include worshipers at the Church of Elvis and/or the Church of Monday Night Football?

I think that if a coach yelled "Monday Night Football" at a call, it might be OK.
Old Fri Oct 26, 2007, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Here's a good question...if they scream "God is great!" while putting on a large vest do you T them before you dive under the bleachers?

Old Fri Oct 26, 2007, 03:44pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Here's a good question...if they scream "God is great!" while putting on a large vest do you T them before you dive under the bleachers?

I demand that this post be deleted. It's offensive to Afghanistan suicide bombers.
Old Fri Oct 26, 2007, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
I demand that this post be deleted. It's offensive to Afghanistan suicide bombers.
How many are left to complain?

(Oops, now I've done it.)

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Oct 26, 2007, 03:55pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

Long answer?

No.
Old Fri Oct 26, 2007, 03:56pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
How many are left to complain?

(Oops, now I've done it.)
Whom do I complain to about all this off-topic discussion in my thread?