The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Get 'em both? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/39143-get-em-both.html)

Adam Thu Oct 25, 2007 06:35pm

Get 'em both?

Here's the sitch:

8th grade AAU. One team clearly outclassed by the other.

Losing team commits a turn-over and head coach and assistant coach both stand, at the same time, and scream "Jesus Chr!st!"

I gave the HC a technical foul, but wonder if I shouldn't have rung them both up.

Thoughts?

Jurassic Referee Thu Oct 25, 2007 06:52pm

Dumb question.:D

Did they both commit "T"-worthy acts? If both had told you to FO, would you only nail the head coach?

Nip it, nip it in the bud.

Btw, make sure that you give the head coach an indirect "T" for his assistants yapping also, to go along with his direct "T".

Mark Padgett Thu Oct 25, 2007 07:00pm

I agree. As the Immortal Dave would say, "It's T for two". :D

Brad Thu Oct 25, 2007 07:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Losing team commits a turn-over and head coach and assistant coach both stand, at the same time, and scream "Jesus Chr!st!"

I'm assuming that they wanted a foul call and weren't just screaming "Jesus Christ!" because their team was playing so horribly?

One whack is enough I think... Kills two birds with one stone. You can always go back and give the assistant one later! :)

zebraman Thu Oct 25, 2007 08:01pm

IMO, one T is plenty. It sends the message you want. There is also a case play (10.4.1 Sit D) where one T is called even though several coaches and subs are standing. I know that's a little different because "JC" is more unsportsmanlike, but it's still the same general idea.

Mark Dexter Thu Oct 25, 2007 08:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by zebraman
IMO, one T is plenty. It sends the message you want. There is also a case play (10.4.1 Sit D) where one T is called even though several coaches and subs are standing. I know that's a little different because "JC" is more unsportsmanlike, but it's still the same general idea.

I disagree.

Multiple players and coaches standing up minding their own business is one thing.

Multiple players and/or coaches standing up to yell (especially profanities) at me - each of them is getting T'ed up.

bigdog5142 Thu Oct 25, 2007 08:24pm

I am a bit confused here...if a coach gets on direct T and then gets an indirect T...is he/she ejected? Or is it two indirects and one direct? I know that two directs and three indirects equals ejection...but what about the combination?

Brad Thu Oct 25, 2007 08:26pm

A coach is ejected for two direct technicals or three direct OR indirect technicals.

Thus, the head coach could get a direct technical and an indirect tech because of the bench (i.e. assistant coach) and not yet be ejected. However, an additional technical on the bench would result in the second indirect technical on the head coach, giving him three total (one direct and two indirect) and would result in ejection.

Dan_ref Thu Oct 25, 2007 08:26pm

One T.

Idaho Thu Oct 25, 2007 08:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdog5142
I am a bit confused here...if a coach gets on direct T and then gets an indirect T...is he/she ejected? Or is it two indirects and one direct? I know that two directs and three indirects equals ejection...but what about the combination?

Two directs is ejection.

Any combination of three is ejection.

So, this would not be an ejection. The coach would be one direct or one inderect away from ejection.

M&M Guy Thu Oct 25, 2007 08:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells
8th grade AAU.

That's why I would give 2.

tjones1 Thu Oct 25, 2007 09:01pm

I think I'm giving two here.

Although I see the two birds with one stone idea by just whacking the assistant.

26 Year Gap Thu Oct 25, 2007 09:08pm

Hey, did you put your pin on the map, JR?:D

TimTaylor Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:44am

Two T's.......

Mark Dexter Fri Oct 26, 2007 07:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar
That's funny.

Question - what if one or two players also stood up at about the same time and mouthed off? Would you whack em all?

If it was T-worthy as an individual effort, it's T-worthy as a group. Coach is getting an early trip to the showers.