The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Just a twinkie for me, thanks.
Do twinkies in your neck of the woods look like this?
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 02:08pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron
Do twinkies in your neck of the woods look like this?
I'd make a comment about the cream filling, but I don't want to start a thread of Larry Craig jokes.
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

dave hall's camp was definitely teaching pinch the paint techniques and it had nothing to do with the gender of the teams we were refereeing
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 02:15pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseball
and it had nothing to do with the gender of the teams we were refereeing
Was that his position on playing shirts and skins? Oh wait - that's a different thread. Sorry.
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

How did I know once Padgett posted we wouldn't be talking about the same topic anymore? Now that I reflect it has been on the women's side that I'm hearing about it (I'm working women's and trying to keep it in the assignor's head that I'd like to work men's). My main assignor for high school ball is a women's official so that explains why it was stressed there. I can definitely see the advantage of the better angle, but it is going to take time to build that habit after years of staying out of the paint.

Now about that Madame Candy lady....can I get a number and address? Winter is mighty cold here in Iowa.
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junker
I just wanted to start a discussion about pinching the paint. The pre-season stuff I've been to for NCAA women's and men's as well as my main HS assignor's camp have really been stressing this. Personally I'm a little uncomfortable being there, but I'm working on it. It is just a big change in thought but I can see the benefits as far as getting better angles. Anyone else with thoughts on this? I'm just curious.
I believe this mentality was started in the SEC, back in Gurfrie's days and it make a lot of sence. It also give you a better look at plays that you normally not see due to bad angles.
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 02:55pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IREFU2
I believe this mentality was started in the SEC, back in Gurfrie's days and it make a lot of sence. It also give you a better look at plays that you normally not see due to bad angles.
And when officials that came from that system would go to other camps, they would be told to stop using them. I have been to camps in the south and in the Midwest and much of Gurfrie's mechanics were widely frowned upon.

Peace
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
And when officials that came from that system would go to other camps, they would be told to stop using them. I have been to camps in the south and in the Midwest and much of Gurfrie's mechanics were widely frowned upon.

Peace
I guess when you were in Rome, you did what Romans did!!!!!
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 03:09pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by IREFU2
I guess when you were in Rome, you did what Romans did!!!!!
I don't know about Rut, but I'm pretty sure Padgett did as the Romans did; otherwise he risked a very unpleasant conversation with Caesar.
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

Its funny how these terms evolve. I'm sure not all of them are exactly the same, but for the most part they are -- at least in terms of trying to get a better look. Years ago, we called this "stepping into the pocket." However, I will concede this was primarily for the C and T, not the L. So again, things do change and get more technical, but the idea is basically the same.
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CLH Send a message via Yahoo to CLH
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge

Peace
Check the latest hires in past several years of the NBA, the majority came from Gufirie's system, so apparently someone ain't frowning on em.

CLH
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 04:18pm
Official & Member

This concept got a lot of attention at a camp I was at in Florida this summer. Almost all the clinicians were NCAA men's officials and they were really stressing it.
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 04:20pm
Esteemed Participant

Pinching was added to NCAA-W last year. We were told that it came from the NBA and WNBA...it is for "help" purposes only - not for reffing your primary area or competitive match-ups as Lead. In other words, the drive from C's side when a secondary defender steps over from L's side - you get a fantastic angle on that secondary defender by stepping into the paint momentarily...of course, after that play you get back out of there asap.

And I agree that it is VERY hard to get used to doing. After years of being told "Stay out of the paint", now we're told "Why didn't you pinch the paint on that play?"
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 05:04pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLH
Check the latest hires in past several years of the NBA, the majority came from Gufirie's system, so apparently someone ain't frowning on em.

CLH
Those individuals were not at an NBA camp. So what the NBA thinks and what the NCAA thinks is not quite the same thing. And if you talk people in the NCAA, they do not look highly on officials in that league just because they are in the NBA. Kind of like, "When in Rome...."

Peace
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 06:13pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junker
Now about that Madame Candy lady....can I get a number and address? Winter is mighty cold here in Iowa.
Her email is [email protected].