The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 30, 2006, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Question 3 Seconds in the paint

Wanting to get more opinions. This is in NFHS rules, I have been a licensed official for a handfull of years but this is the first year I have really started to pursue moving up and improving on my game.

Had a situation in rec ball, no arguing by anyone it just came up in a conversation after the game and I wanted to find out for sure if I was correct or not. I have talked to my assingor but I wanted to get more opinions on it.

Situation: A1 in the front court with the ball, A2 is in the paint, where he has been all night pushing a 3 second+ call every time down the court. A1 dribbles to about the free throw line and goes up for a try at a goal. No one blocks the shot but it was one of those where i believe he was actually making a try for the goal, the ball only makes it about halfway to the rim and drops. A2 then grabs the ball and puts it in for a goal.

B1, during a stop in the clock comes over and respectfully asks what my opinion was on calling 3 seconds on A2. I stated that in my opinion my 3 second count resets as soon as the ball left A1 hands on the attempted try.

I am trying to find out if this is correct or not, If i am correct on my thinking then no problem, if I am not correct then A2 was in the lane way to long.

Thanks for your input.
Old Thu Nov 30, 2006, 11:08am
Courageous When Prudent

Nfhs...

Team control continues until the ball is in flight during a try or tap for goal.

A player shall not remain for three (3) seconds in that part of his/her free-throw lane... while the ball is in control of his/her team...

If you consider A1 as making a legimate shot attempt then your 3-second would terminate while ball was in flight and a new count would start when A2 gains control of the ball.

Last edited by Raymond; Thu Nov 30, 2006 at 11:08am. Reason: CAPITALIZATION
Old Thu Nov 30, 2006, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Well there is no player control or team control on a shot so if you were at 2 seconds when the shot was released, the count ends.... And the count would not start again unless a player from A gained control on the rebound or miss....
Old Thu Nov 30, 2006, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
Team control continues until the ball is in flight during a try or tap for goal.

A player shall not remain for three (3) seconds in that part of his/her free-throw lane... while the ball is in control of his/her team...

If you consider A1 as making a legimate shot attempt then your 3-second would terminate while ball was in flight and a new count would start when A2 gains control of the ball.
I concur. Give me a call when you get a chance.
Old Thu Nov 30, 2006, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the input, I was sure I had the call correct but i was having a hard time finding it in the rules book. That helps tremendously.

Thank you
Old Thu Nov 30, 2006, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Where did you find a rec league that has players "respectfully" questioning a call? Sorry, I just had to ask. Good no call in my opinion.
Old Thu Nov 30, 2006, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

I completely understand that statement, but here in NW Indiana we have a couple of towns with very respectful rec leagues. Yes we get an occasional technical but for the most part the players show the officials the respect they deserve.

I probably should not have said that now we will have an inrush of refs!
Old Thu Nov 30, 2006, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Only if they are going to pay me mileage.
Old Thu Nov 30, 2006, 01:18pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junker
Only if they are going to pay me mileage.
Go visit the scenes from Hoosiers, Jeff, and deduct the mileage from your taxes.
Old Thu Nov 30, 2006, 04:44pm
(Something hilarious)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarter
Thanks for the input, I was sure I had the call correct but i was having a hard time finding it in the rules book. That helps tremendously.

Thank you
jcarter - FYI - Team Control is in 4-12-2 & 3, and Three Seconds is in 9-7-1.
Old Sat Dec 02, 2006, 08:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarter
Situation: A1 in the front court with the ball, A2 is in the paint, where he has been all night pushing a 3 second+ call every time down the court.
Try this...Keep moving RED (or WHITE, GOLD, GREEN...well, you get the point).

Mregor

Last edited by Mregor; Sat Dec 02, 2006 at 09:38pm.