The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 23, 2007, 11:26am
KSRef07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Yup, and especially when they state something that is complete and utter boolsh!t under the rules.

I'm funny like that.

If that's a local interpretation put out by a state governing body, fine. Don't try to tell me that it's a rule everywhere though. It isn't and never has been. Afaik, that particular interpretation hasn't ever been used anywhere outside of Kansas.
Except Colorado - citation provided previously. Could name more. I reffed in several states. Another post stated Iowa is the same. Who is stating unfounded bogus bull$hit now?

Last edited by KSRef07; Tue Oct 23, 2007 at 11:30am.
Old Tue Oct 23, 2007, 11:30am
KSRef07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
KSref07,
Welcome to the forum. I think that some are being too hard on you in this thread.

You will quickly find that JR always asks people to back things up with a rule citation. In fact, I would have inquired about your initial statements, if he had not.

In this case you have done just that by providing the KS interpretation. We may not all agree with that viewpoint, but if that is the way it is handled in your state, that's great. (Personally, I like it, but that's not how it's done where I am. FYI soccer does exactly what KS does, not HS, but the FIFA game.)

Just be aware that not every other state makes the same interp. I've learned a great deal from the people on this forum, who are from all over, one of the most important being that there are many differences from place to place.
Thanks for the welcome. The vast majority have been perfectly nice and willing to hear other views. I made a couple misstatements which I apologized for and corrected. Fully aware not all states make the same interps, but others should not poo-poo comments that "just because its not stated in the NFHS manual" it is utter BS. WRONG. For example, MO, KS, TX all only T once for illegal uniforms. I guess JR thinks that is BS as well.

The folks here seem open minded and helpful.
Old Tue Oct 23, 2007, 11:31am
KSRef07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
Quite seriously, KS, you are utterly and completely wrong on what coaching is.
Again, it's not me. I am explaining the KS state position, which I enforce. Differentiate between the two please.
Old Tue Oct 23, 2007, 11:33am
KSRef07

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap
Could be that OS took the mandatory Articulation class that they have in Kansas.
Don't know who OS is/was, but don't sully my name with an obvious $hit disturber of the past. I'm here for the help and to contribute when appropriate. Thanks.
Old Tue Oct 23, 2007, 11:35am
KSRef07

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Nah. This is really the only thread where KSR has caused any flap, and he's been pretty consistent here, and actually pretty articulate. I really doubt it's OS. Although time will tell.
Thanks for the compliment. Just trying to get help and give help here as time permits.
Old Tue Oct 23, 2007, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSRef07
Don't know who OS is/was, but don't sully my name with an obvious $hit disturber of the past. I'm here for the help and to contribute when appropriate. Thanks.
Seriously KS you are getting ripped up for no good reason.....tends to happen at times on this board, certain people believe that their interpretations are the only ones that matter in every state (even those they have never worked)....no need to defend yourself...
Old Tue Oct 23, 2007, 11:39am
KSRef07

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
KSREF --

Here's the down-low on the scene here. It may be that you've found what works for you at your level, in your area. You'll quickly learn that others on this site find that different ways work for them at their levels, in their areas. And there are those that scoff at describing the problem as being different ways in different situations. You've been told how to handle things in Kansas, and that's what you need to do. Don't worry about the argument too much. Back down gracefully by saying, "Hmm I see what you mean, I'll think about that" or some such. That helps avoid the OS references.

Also, I want to thank you for continuing this discussion. We've been trying for years to figure out where Jurassic lives, and now we can rule out Kansas!
Funny! Don't know who OS is and don't care. Here to get help and give help. When someone uses inflamatory profane language to me I either ignore from that point on or try to debate - giving the benefit. I have also freely admitted a couple mistakes. If JR doesn't want to be civil then that's his issue. I can imagine the stress he's under being perfect.
Old Tue Oct 23, 2007, 11:49am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Except Colorado - citation provided previously. Could name more. I reffed in several states. Another post stated Iowa is the same. Who is stating unfounded bogus bull$hit now?
It's apparent you didn't even read the post where Iowa was mentioned.
1. Iowa has only issued a directive regarding kneeling. Kneeling. Kneeling only. And that was girls only, since the boys' coaches don't even get the coaching box.

I'm not even sure if they still hold to it, since I've been in Colorado now for a couple of years.

2. More importantly, Colorado does not do it the way you say we do. Read my previous post.
Old Tue Oct 23, 2007, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Again, it's not me. I am explaining the KS state position, which I enforce. Differentiate between the two please.
So, the KS state position is that a coach is only coaching if they're speaking? Observing and thinking are not normally associatiated with coaching? Seems to me you may be misunderstanding what the position really is.
Old Tue Oct 23, 2007, 12:30pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbilla
certain people believe that their interpretations are the only ones that matter in every state (even those they have never worked)......
Let me share something with both of you......

It's not "our" interpretations. It's the NFHS and NCAA's interpretations. We just cite those NFHS and NCAA interpretations. We also cite their recommended mechanics. If someone wants to pull a hissy-fit because someone else showed them that they were completely WRONG according to what is plainly written in the rules, case or mechanics book, too damn bad. It's the same for everybody on this forum, and that includes myself. If you're going to post utter nonsense, you will hear about it.

If a rule is unique to one state only, then post that as such. Don't try to say that what is written in the rule book is wrong because their state has an exception.
Old Tue Oct 23, 2007, 01:08pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
It's the NFHS and NCAA's interpretations. We just cite those NFHS and NCAA interpretations. We also cite their recommended mechanics.
Mean ol' Jurassic.
Old Tue Oct 23, 2007, 02:35pm
KSRef07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
So, the KS state position is that a coach is only coaching if they're speaking? Observing and thinking are not normally associatiated with coaching? Seems to me you may be misunderstanding what the position really is.
As posted previously, here is verbatim from the most recent Kansas State publication "2007-2008 Basketball Announcements".

COACHING BOX
"The head coach may:

1. Stand to instruct (coach) then,
2. Sit down
3. Not kneel, squat, pace or stand during a live ball."

Pretty clear to me how they define "coaching".
Old Tue Oct 23, 2007, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Here's what I could find on Iowa's website. The Boys' and Girls' associations (yes, we have 2 here) are both going to this rule, or something very similar. I'm not a fan of this rule, but I do as the state says. This is from a memo we got earlier this season, I'll know more after I hit our state meeting here in the next couple of weeks.

"In summary, the Board approved adopting the “seat belt” bench decorum rule which is currently utilized in the boy’s game in Iowa, with two modifications. First, coaches will be allowed to stand and confer with a player(s) whenever the clock is not running. Second, the coach may rise to congratulate a disqualified player, and walk the confines of the team bench to select a replacement."
Old Tue Oct 23, 2007, 02:48pm
KSRef07

Quote:
Let me share something with both of you......

It's not "our" interpretations. It's the NFHS and NCAA's interpretations. We just cite those NFHS and NCAA interpretations. We also cite their recommended mechanics. If someone wants to pull a hissy-fit because someone else showed them that they were completely WRONG according to what is plainly written in the rules, case or mechanics book, too damn bad. It's the same for everybody on this forum, and that includes myself. If you're going to post utter nonsense, you will hear about it.

If a rule is unique to one state only, then post that as such. Don't try to say that what is written in the rule book is wrong because their state has an exception.
Ok JR, educate me. Show me where the NFHS explicitly states a head coach may stand the entire game (barring a T) when remaining perfectly silent and not uttering word or moving. It states he may only stand "for the purpose of coaching his/her team". Now if you think standing = kneeling, or standing = sitting on the floor, then we agree to disagree. If you think "coaching his team" is standing like a statue for 8 minutes without uttering a word, then we disagree on that as well.

Ask your self why would the NFHS put qualitative language in the rule like "for the purpose of coaching his team" if they meant to allow him to stand 32 minutes? What other purpose would a head coach have to stand in the box according to you - if EVERYTHING he does is "coaching"?

Hmmmmmm. Before you state someone is wrong, or his state is the only one clarifying the rule, show definitive proof. Have a nice day.
Old Tue Oct 23, 2007, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

I will tell you that PA does not interpret the coaching box activity the same as Kansas. Here, coaches are permitted to stand in the box as long as they want, observing the play on the court. As long as they stay in their box and are not chirping at the refs, they are okay. If they begin to stray or attempt to influence any calls by a ref, they will be seated via a "T".

And this dude is not OS, because we don't "hate" him yet.