The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 09:19pm
Esteemed Forum Member

??????

From KCRef07: "Under NO circumstances can an assistant coach stand."

May an assistant coach, during a live ball, while the clock is running, stand to approach the scorer's table to inquire about the number of fouls on a player, or the number a time outs remaining? I don't believe that a head coach is allowed to do this?
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 09:25pm
KSRef07

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
From KCRef07: "Under NO circumstances can an assistant coach stand."

May an assistant coach, during a live ball, while the clock is running, stand to approach the scorer's table to inquire about the number of fouls on a player, or the number a time outs remaining? I don't believe that a head coach is allowed to do this?
No. A scorekeeper for the team can.
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 09:28pm
KSRef07

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap
Is it a coincidence that KSref joined this month and Old School has been gone for about a month?
I am brand new here.
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 09:30pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap
Is it a coincidence that KSref joined this month and Old School has been gone for about a month?
I think it is just coincidence. KSref actually typed out a rule, so he can't be OS.
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 09:31pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSRef07
Under NO circumstances can an assistant coach stand.
Can the assistant coach stand to spontaneously react to an outstanding play, and then return immediately to his seat?
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 09:43pm
KSRef07

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
So, figuring out which play to call, which defense to use, which player to counter the other team's sub - this is not considered coaching? Where do I find your definition of coaching? Where do I find your interpretation of the intent of the coache's box?

What I'll figure out is I need to watch where I'm going. It is exactly the same as the sub kneeling in front of the table waiting to come into the game. The coach has every right to be in the box, kneeling, standing, or humming show tunes, and it's my job to make sure I know where I'm going. If I step on a player's foot while they're sitting on the bench, should I T them up? Should I move them to the locker room because they got in my way?
"So, figuring out which play to call, which defense to use, which player to counter the other team's sub - this is not considered coaching?"

Not "coaching PLAYERS". When he is "figuring out", who is he coaching at that moment? No one. This is clarified by many state associations like ours. Check with yours.

I previously stated the interps. Go back a few posts.

Never said anything about a T for the coach kneeling. You can say all you want until you tear an ACL because you "didn't look where you were going" one time and because a coach was kneeling where he shouldn't be. I'm not assigning fault under that circumstance, just trying to provide some useful experiential information to consider.
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 09:44pm
KSRef07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
Can the assistant coach stand to spontaneously react to an outstanding play, and then return immediately to his seat?
yes. When I said under no circumstance, I meant it in the context of coaching players.
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 10:06pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
I think it is just coincidence. KSref actually typed out a rule, so he can't be OS.
He changes his stance just like OS. He makes up stuff on the fly just like JMO. He is never in the same place as either of those two.
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 10:06pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
I am brand new here.
What part of my post do you not understand?
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

So according to your statement, if a coach never says anything, he is not a coach because he does not commit the act of coaching.

anyways... deifnition

1 : to train intensively (as by instruction and demonstration)
2 : to act as coach of
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 10:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Not "coaching PLAYERS". When he is "figuring out", who is he coaching at that moment? No one. This is clarified by many state associations like ours. Check with yours.
You did state that is the Kansas interp. It is not the interp provided by Illinois, or by the NFHS. In IL, there is no distinction between standing or kneeling, talking or being silent. To quote the state interp: "The larger concern is the continuation of unsporting behavior by bench personnel."

Do you have examples of some of the other "many state associations", and how they are similar or different?

Quote:
Never said anything about a T for the coach kneeling. You can say all you want until you tear an ACL because you "didn't look where you were going" one time and because a coach was kneeling where he shouldn't be.
I thought a T is the penalty for anyone offending the coaching box rule? If KS says kneeling is not part of the rule, what penalty is in force for kneeling?

In IL, if the coach is kneeling in the coaching box, he is where he's supposed to be. What happens if you tear an ACL when you trip over his leg while he's standing there coaching?

(Used with permission.)
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 10:36pm
KSRef07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake~eyes
So according to your statement, if a coach never says anything, he is not a coach because he does not commit the act of coaching.

anyways... deifnition

1 : to train intensively (as by instruction and demonstration)
2 : to act as coach of
No, the word is coaching - a verb. The rule is "coaching PLAYERS" (i.e. not contemplating the universe with hands folded in the coaches box.)
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 11:01pm
PYRef

Quote:
No, the word is coaching - a verb. The rule is "coaching PLAYERS" (i.e. not contemplating the universe with hands folded in the coaches box.)
I find it hard to believe that any association would advocate whacking a coach just because he was standing within the legal confines of the box. At what point do you call it? When he stands for 5 seconds without talking? 10? 30?
Are you paying that much attention to the coach and not the game, to see if he isn't saying something to his players? What if he was instructing his bench personnel and not those on the floor.
You'd have a hard time convincing your assigner that this was a legit foul call.
I'd like to be in the stands the first time you called this on a coach.
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 11:16pm
KSRef07

You did state that is the Kansas interp. It is not the interp provided by Illinois, or by the NFHS.

Ok. Great about IL. Do you have the NFHS interp? Please share.

In IL, there is no distinction between standing or kneeling, talking or being silent. To quote the state interp: "The larger concern is the continuation of unsporting behavior by bench personnel."

That interp does not address the topic at hand - when a coach may stand.

Do you have examples of some of the other "many state associations", and how they are similar or different?

Here is one.
Colorado
COACHING BOX
The head coach may be off the bench in front of his or her seat within the confines of the designated coaches’ box to give instructions to his or her players and/or substitutes.

I thought a T is the penalty for anyone offending the coaching box rule? If KS says kneeling is not part of the rule, what penalty is in force for kneeling?

Huh? KS says he may not kneel, stand, crouch if not coaching the players.

In IL, if the coach is kneeling in the coaching box, he is where he's supposed to be. What happens if you tear an ACL when you trip over his leg while he's standing there coaching?

Look, I am simply saying if a coach is kneeling it is more likely you may not see him. Especially since the box extends to the sideline, where a C should be running. If you don't believe that, then great. Next topic. I am not saying it's a T. I simply said I ask them to stand for both our safety. Remember, I said we are very lenient about the coaches box. I only use our interp if there is some commentary or gesturing that many can hear/see. If that doesn't work, then a T for unsportsmanlike. If you do it different, great.
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 11:23pm
KSRef07

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYRef
I find it hard to believe that any association would advocate whacking a coach just because he was standing within the legal confines of the box. At what point do you call it? When he stands for 5 seconds without talking? 10? 30?
Are you paying that much attention to the coach and not the game, to see if he isn't saying something to his players? What if he was instructing his bench personnel and not those on the floor.
You'd have a hard time convincing your assigner that this was a legit foul call.
I'd like to be in the stands the first time you called this on a coach.
Uhh, the rule is 2.73 seconds after the behind leaves the chair.

Instructing players on the bench is fine. Look, it's not my rule, its the KS state rule and they want it enforced. We all do.

Give me a break. I said it 10 times already - lenient - used as a tool if he begins to target the refs. Something along these lines - "Stop or we will strictly enforce the rule." If still no improvement, then tell him to sit unless directly instructing the players. If still no improvement then a T the next time he demonstrably disputes a call. Then he sits for good.