The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 19, 2007, 08:02am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JohnBark
Question 2-man To question...

with the new change in where you stand on TOs, how are you working the 1st horn for the TO...are both officials going over to the huddle and telling them 1st horn? or is just the official who doesn't have the ball going over to both huddles and telling them 1st horn? how are you all handling that?

i worked my first 2-man last night with my usual partner. and i must say either one of us like the positioning on TOs. And we tried both ways of getting them out of the huddle last night. just wondering what the rest of the officiating world is doing with this.

thanks!
Old Wed Sep 19, 2007, 08:20am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBark
with the new change in where you stand on TOs, how are you working the 1st horn for the TO...are both officials going over to the huddle and telling them 1st horn? or is just the official who doesn't have the ball going over to both huddles and telling them 1st horn? how are you all handling that?

i worked my first 2-man last night with my usual partner. and i must say either one of us like the positioning on TOs. And we tried both ways of getting them out of the huddle last night. just wondering what the rest of the officiating world is doing with this.

thanks!
Since I don't have my books yet, I can't say officially. In 2 person, I would think the person at the table center court should warn both teams. The team farest from the ball first. Then the next team as he's walking to get into position to restart the game. The only problem is when you're away from the bench with the ball. I think you need to stay with where the ball's going to be inbounded.

What I'm doing now is instead of saying 1st horn, I'll say 5 seconds left blue if I warned the other bench first. You must communicate your expectations of this in your pre-game conference with the captains and coaches. Then it works like a charm.
Old Wed Sep 19, 2007, 09:02am
In Memoriam

What is the new mechanic ?
Thanks.
Old Wed Sep 19, 2007, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

We discussed this in our last association meeting prior to the season beginning. Here's how we are handling it locally (we haven't received our FED books yet):

1. Team that called the time-out gets told "first horn" first
2. If the ball is to be put in play table-side, the official with the ball gives the warning to the team s/he is near
3. If the ball is to be put in play anywhere else besides the table-side sideline, the center official gives both teams horn warnings.

Seems to be working well so far.
Old Wed Sep 19, 2007, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
What is the new mechanic ?
Thanks.
It's actually reverting to a previous mechanic for where officials stand on a time out in a 2 person crew. I believe it's that the official who will administer the succeeding throw-in goes to the throw-in spot with the ball. The other official goes to the centerline midway between the table-side sideline and the circle.
Old Wed Sep 19, 2007, 10:19am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

BITS is correct.

This way was done for a year, perhaps 2, maybe 5-6 years ago??

IIRC, short TOs have the centre-line official closer to the table sideline, and full TOs have him/her closer to the opposite sideline.
Old Wed Sep 19, 2007, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
BITS is correct.

IIRC, short TOs have the centre-line official closer to the table sideline, and full TOs have him/her closer to the opposite sideline.
I forgot about that part. Thanks for the reminder.
Old Wed Sep 19, 2007, 10:35am
In Memoriam

Bits and Jugglin',
Thanks.
Old Wed Sep 19, 2007, 11:12am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
BITS is correct.

I'm not sure this is the way it was several years ago, but I think the way you stated it is confusing. The non-inbounding official should be at center court in front of circle, 30 second TO, table side, back of circle center court for full TO. I didn't quite get this for your discription.
Old Wed Sep 19, 2007, 11:21am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
I'm not sure this is the way it was several years ago, but I think the way you stated it is confusing. The non-inbounding official should be at center court in front of circle, 30 second TO, table side, back of circle center court for full TO. I didn't quite get this for your discription.
Try reading it more slowly next time.
Old Wed Sep 19, 2007, 11:24am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Jugglin' used the correct terminology. Almost everyone knew what he meant by tableside and opposite.
Try it. You'll like it.
Old Wed Sep 19, 2007, 11:25am

Quote:
That's because I didn't write a discription. In my description, I didn't clarify where the front of the circle is, because I know of no definition that determines where the front of the circle is. Is it the R's side of the cirlce or the U's side of the circle? And why?

I did mention, however, that the non-inbounding official stands in a position according to the type of TO granted.

My text probably isn't the best for newer officials such as yourself.
Old Wed Sep 19, 2007, 12:05pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Maybe he was confused by the metric spelling for "center."
Old Wed Sep 19, 2007, 12:20pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
metric
Damn - I thought I could go a whole day without seeing that word!
Old Wed Sep 19, 2007, 12:20pm

I'm surprised it took this long for someone to mention.