The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 18, 2007, 03:21pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwanr1
I don't think coaches have to seat for college - the "seatbelt rule" is for NFHS only. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
There is no seatbelt rule in NCAA Rules. You are correct.

Peace
Old Tue Sep 18, 2007, 03:56pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
There is no seatbelt rule in NCAA Rules. You are correct.

Peace
Well, I'm sure that's not what he (VI) meant.
Old Tue Sep 18, 2007, 04:39pm
In Memoriam

Arrow

Quote:
I don't think coaches have to seat for college - the "seatbelt rule" is for NFHS only. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Yer right.
Old School wrote that if the CCA thought it was a serious problem then they, or the NCAA, or whoever makes those decisions, would add a penalty instead of emphasizing an existing penalty of a technical foul, which is unenforceable until the TV officials start calling 'em in real games and continue to call them through the tourney.
Old Tue Sep 18, 2007, 04:59pm
certified Hot Mom tester

In our local kids rec league, we don't recognize a coaching box. Sure makes things a lot easier.
Old Tue Sep 18, 2007, 05:15pm

Quote:
That is correct. But think about it, this whole issue goes away if you remove the coaching box altogether and it would be very easy to administer. One problem I see here is the punishment doesn't fit the crime, therefore, it's going to be very hard to get this enforce consistently nationwide. With the game in the balance, no official is going to want to call this, without a warning first. Then we talked about game interrupters, where you call something that most might feel doesn't need to be called, just a stern warning not to do it again, and you keep the game moving.

Give you an example. I once had a game go into triple overtime. At one point in the second overtime, my partner made a bad call. The coach couldn't believe it and ran out to half court to meet the calling official pleating his case. It was a bad call. Neither one of us wanted the game to end this way so we past on the T and told the coach to get back to his huddle. Now, we got one bad call and we're going to compund it with a T on the coach. Guaranteed, if we would have made that call, we would have had a hard time getting out of that gym.

I think the committee needs to regroup on this one and come up with something that is more reasonable, more feasible, something that all the referee's can get behind. That way it would be enforce consistently across the board.
Old Tue Sep 18, 2007, 05:34pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
Give you an example. I once had a game go into triple overtime. At one point in the second overtime, my partner made a bad call. The coach couldn't believe it and ran out to half court to meet the calling official pleating his case. It was a bad call. Neither one of us wanted the game to end this way so we past on the T and told the coach to get back to his huddle. Now, we got one bad call and we're going to compound it with a T on the coach. Guaranteed, if we would have made that call, we would have had a hard time getting out of that gym.
If you ever aspire to be a real official one day, you will have to grow some balls, VI. You never pass on a righteous call just because it might also be an unpopular call.

I don't have a problem with you warning a coach, under certain circumstances. I do have a problem when you try to justify that warning simply because you were afraid of the crowd's reaction or because you didn't want to piss off a coach.
Old Tue Sep 18, 2007, 05:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man
About as enthusiastically as officalls are about calling a T in NCAA for not having players and starters submitted before the 10:00 mark.
Have you ever seen a situation where starters weren't submitted by the ten-minute mark?
Old Tue Sep 18, 2007, 05:38pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
the calling official pleating his case
Why was he folding his bag in the middle of a game? Or - do you mean bleating? That would make more sense.
Old Tue Sep 18, 2007, 06:13pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
Have you ever seen a situation where starters weren't submitted by the ten-minute mark?
I think this happened in the NCAA men's tournament a year or two ago.
Old Tue Sep 18, 2007, 06:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
The coach couldn't believe it and ran out to half court to meet the calling official pleating his case. It was a bad call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Why was he folding his bag in the middle of a game? Or - do you mean bleating? That would make more sense.

I thought maybe the coach was working on the uniforms, in which case the T would be entirely appropriate. Pleats are clearly not legal!
Old Tue Sep 18, 2007, 07:01pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
I don't have a problem with you warning a coach, under certain circumstances. I do have a problem when you try to justify that warning simply because you were afraid of the crowd's reaction or because you didn't want to piss off a coach.
Welcome to the real world.

Just so we are on the same page. It's not so much that I was afraid of the crowds reaction as i was my assigner reaction when you consider that we kicked the call, then T up the coach and this decided the game. Sometimes, although I will admit this may not work in every situation, but sometimes it's best not to throw gasoline on a fire. The coach was not irrate and out of line, just out of the coaches box onto the court, in fact he was about at half court before i caught up to him. Double overtime game, great game, how about this, very subtly coach, I need you to step back off the court and I will get my partner to come over and explain the call to you. Saves the embarassing technical for "all" of us, a little bit of game management, dodges a potential damaging situation.

Last edited by Old School; Tue Sep 18, 2007 at 07:07pm.
Old Tue Sep 18, 2007, 07:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
I think this happened in the NCAA men's tournament a year or two ago.
I'd love to know details. In my experience, the starters are designated well ahead of time for tourney games.

For regular-season games, as a scorekeeper, I would sometimes have to chase down coaches right at the 10-minute mark, but I always had starters by the deadline.
Old Tue Sep 18, 2007, 11:30pm
Official Forum Member

Old School,

I'm with you on that. I had something similar, but I didn't know the assignor was in the stands. He does that from time to time. This game decided who goes into the playoffs. The coach didn't like the call one of my partners made. I too asked him to get back in the box. He said I want to talk about this call. I told him I'll meet him at his coaching box. There we were able to talk about the call. My assignor after the game told me I handle that situation properly. Very close game and very intense. Also the league commissioner was in attendance. Also said our crew did a great job. If a coach is willing to work with you, don't trouble trouble. The other coach didn't say anything about about giving a tech. Great game!