The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Sep 15, 2007, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

Pro hop Question

When ur performing a Pro hop in Basketball, y isn't it considered a travel? When You begin the jump off one leg that leg becomes your pivot. So y is it that when U follow up by landing on both feet(Which includes ur pivot) a travel isn't called?
Old Sat Sep 15, 2007, 11:27pm
Do not give a damn!!

A jump stop in basketball is legal after a dribble has been stopped. Other than that I have no idea what you are talking about.

Peace
Old Sun Sep 16, 2007, 07:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by i ekMo i
When ur performing a Pro hop in Basketball, y isn't it considered a travel? When You begin the jump off one leg that leg becomes your pivot. So y is it that when U follow up by landing on both feet(Which includes ur pivot) a travel isn't called?
You are correct that the move seems to violate the travel rules. The rules, however, specifically allow this move, under certain circumstances (it depends on when the ball is held and the specific actions taken). Note that in exchange for allowing this move, the player cannot pivot after landing on both feet.
Old Sun Sep 16, 2007, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It's known as a jump stop and it's legal. The HS rule is pasted below.

A player, who catches the ball while moving or dribbling, may stop, and establish a pivot foot as follows:
If one foot is on the floor:
1. It is the pivot when the other foot touches in a step.
2. The player may jump off that foot and simultaneously land on both. Neither foot can be a pivot in this case.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Sep 16, 2007, 02:26pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Arrow

Quote:
Please note - there's enough bandwidth on this site to allow the spelling of complete words.
Old Sun Sep 16, 2007, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

Haha, sorry I'm young(17). I just couldn't find the answer so I ended up here. Is this a site for officials or just anyone?
Old Sun Sep 16, 2007, 05:05pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Haha, sorry I'm young(17). I just couldn't find the answer so I ended up here. Is this a site for officials or just anyone?
It's a site for officials, but anyone asking questions about the rules for any sport is always welcome.

Note though that anyone who shows up just to whine, piss and moan about the officials will deserve everything they get.

Welcome.
Old Sun Sep 16, 2007, 05:31pm
Official Forum Member

Also, Is jump stopping legal to do in other directions. Ive seen many players instad of doing a step-back jumper, they kinda jump back into the shooting position.
Old Sun Sep 16, 2007, 06:54pm
Official Forum Member

Doubtful that it could be done legally.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Sep 16, 2007, 07:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Also, Is jump stopping legal to do in other directions. Ive seen many players instad of doing a step-back jumper, they kinda jump back into the shooting position.
Usually not legal, often ignored or no-called by refs. At least in Oregon it is often ignored.

Also, I'd like you to note that the rules for travelling in the NBA are quite different from college and high school ball, and thus the jump stop rules are different. Just wanting to make that clear...
Old Mon Sep 17, 2007, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Usually not legal, often ignored or no-called by refs. At least in Oregon it is often ignored.

Also, I'd like you to note that the rules for travelling in the NBA are quite different from college and high school ball, and thus the jump stop rules are different. Just wanting to make that clear...

Not really that different at all. They are just explained in more detail in the NBA rule book so there is no ambiguity unlike that to the college and high school rule book. The only difference that I have read is the "skip" rule where when you hop off your left leg, you can't skip through and land on that same leg individually.
Old Mon Sep 17, 2007, 10:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor64
Not really that different at all. They are just explained in more detail in the NBA rule book so there is no ambiguity unlike that to the college and high school rule book. The only difference that I have read is the "skip" rule where when you hop off your left leg, you can't skip through and land on that same leg individually.
As far as the everyday playing and reffing, everyone needs to know that the rules are enough different that they shouldn't use what's done on TV as a guide to how to play or call. Please, please, please don't encourage people to think there's any similarity. Life is a lot simpler for us lowly peons if y'all big-timers will please not talk about NBA rules as being anywhere near the same.

Woo--hoo, post #8000.
Old Tue Sep 18, 2007, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
As far as the everyday playing and reffing, everyone needs to know that the rules are enough different that they shouldn't use what's done on TV as a guide to how to play or call. Please, please, please don't encourage people to think there's any similarity. Life is a lot simpler for us lowly peons if y'all big-timers will please not talk about NBA rules as being anywhere near the same.

Woo--hoo, post #8000.
I can't help it if they are, because they are. There are some similarities in pro rules to college rules and even high school rules, just like there are differences. If this was the case then we should start a seperate forum for each distinct level of basketball.

In my reading of all the rule book sets, high school through pro, the travel rule is the same and should be refereed as such.

Congrats on the 8,000th post. I am glad to have been a part of it.
Old Tue Sep 18, 2007, 01:17pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor64
In my reading of all the rule book sets, high school through pro, the travel rule is the same and should be refereed as such.
That is the way I understand it. Actually with all the sports I work, basketball has fewer differences between all the levels. We sometime blow out of proportion what is different when the basics are practically the same. And the differences that are present are obvious things like the 3 point line.

Peace
Old Tue Sep 18, 2007, 01:19pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Woo--hoo, post #8000.
Juulie - take a cookie out of petty cash.