The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jul 29, 2007, 06:49pm
Official Forum Member

Partner and ejected coach start to get personal.

If finally happened...my first double T and ejection. But what happened after that was a breakdown/failure on our part as officials. Please comment.

Situation:
Number 1 girls HS team in the state taking on local power house in a NCAA sanctioned varsity tourney game...probably 20 colleges in attendance...the place was packed.

The #1 HS coach is up by 20 with 13 minutes to play (20 minute halves). I have given the #1 coach a warning to stay in his box and stop complaining about calls...my partner is aware that the next outburst is going to be a T.
Time-out called after #1 fouls whereby the #1 coach yells "That's just the type of call I expected form you guys...". My partner issues the T and I confront the coach to explain he's got to sit. The coach comes unglued and yells, "you guys suck...you're terrible" as he's walking toward us. I issue the next T and report while my partner switches to inform the coach he must leave the gym. Now comes the crazy part...for me anyway. Get this, my daughter (Remember the conflict of interest post) is keeping score and has a front row seat to the whole thing.

I turn around and my partner and the head coach are about 1/2 inch away from each other’s face and conducting a major pissing contest. My partner tells the coach that he's a terrible coach and that he's also ugly...the coach is saying more things about how he sucks and is the worst official he's ever seen.... they are not having a quiet conversation. Again, I've never been in this situation but I could see they were getting close to something that was more than likely going to get worse.

So, I stepped between then slowly touching each others chest with the back of my hands...I'm 6'4" 200 and work out 5 days a week so maybe that helped my confidence...but a good official told me once to never touch/grab a player or coach so I was trying to do the best I could.

I said firmly "This conversation is over! We have parents, players and other coaches watching us right now. You must leave the court" The coach says fine I'm taking my team with me. I said, "You mean you're going to take this opportunity away from not only your players but the other team's players...I'm disappointed in you". I walked over to the administrator to ask him to go talk some sense into the coach...I guess after pleas from his assistant and his players that he finally said okay. Needless to say he marches out into the hall and called everyone he could to complain...wanted us kicked out of the tournament. I was told that he was still mad 24 hours...honestly he deserved his T's.

I'm thinking maybe I issued the second T too quickly (Do you folks give coaches an opportunity to blow-off steam after the first T?) and that my partner should not have engaged in the name calling...etc. but he's been around awhile and he “doesn't take crap from anyone”. I was the good cop but I have to admit I could see me drop kicking this coach out of the building.

So how would you have handled this situation? Should I send a report? I've already done a verbal debrief to the tourney director and my assignor? By the way, the #1 coach is a very very good coach and he looks like a young Richard Gere...so the ugly part doesn't apply either.
Old Sun Jul 29, 2007, 07:07pm
Official Forum Member

I find the situation to be VERY unprofessional with the parties involved. Now, to answer your question. I do believe the ejection was warranted. Standing on the outside looking in ( JMO) the crew allow the coach dictate the entire situation by allowing him to complain pretty much the entire game. I hope you take this situation and learn from it.
Old Sun Jul 29, 2007, 07:21pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by NURef
I'm thinking maybe I issued the second T too quickly
Good job on both T's. Sounds like they were both very deserving. Coach did it to himself, I'm afraid. S/He won't admit that, but when he matures up, he'll understand.

Quote:
(Do you folks give coaches an opportunity to blow-off steam after the first T?)
Yes, and no. If a coach does it to himself, then don't be afraid to run him, as you did. Whenever I report a T, I try to do it by reporting as far away from the table as possible.

Quote:
and that my partner should not have engaged in the name calling...etc. but he's been around awhile and he “doesn't take crap from anyone”. I was the good cop but I have to admit I could see me drop kicking this coach out of the building.
Sometimes these "been around" officials need to be humbled again. It's obvious his actions were unprofessional, and we've all been there before, but hopefully he will learn from it.

Quote:
So how would you have handled this situation? Should I send a report? I've already done a verbal debrief to the tourney director and my assignor? By the way, the #1 coach is a very very good coach and he looks like a young Richard Gere...so the ugly part doesn't apply either.
Of course send a report in. It sounds like both T's were spot-on calls. Also, there's nothing you can do about your P getting into a pissing match with the coach. I think you did a good job getting the admin involved when the "take my ball with me" attitude was presented. It sounds like this coach thinks his $h!t don't stink. These men also need humbling.

From what I can tell, you did your job fine. Your P is a grown adult and you needn't babysit him. I think being the voice of reason in their conversation was a good thing, though; who knows what would have happened.
Old Sun Jul 29, 2007, 07:21pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
1) Time-out called after #1 fouls whereby the #1 coach yells "That's just the type of call I expected form you guys...". My partner issues the T and I confront the coach to explain he's got to sit. The coach comes unglued and yells, "you guys suck...you're terrible" as he's walking toward us. I issue the next T and report while my partner switches to inform the coach he must leave the gym.

2) I turn around and my partner and the head coach are about 1/2 inch away from each other’s face and conducting a major pissing contest. My partner tells the coach that he's a terrible coach and that he's also ugly...the coach is saying more things about how he sucks and is the worst official he's ever seen.... they are not having a quiet conversation.

3) So, I stepped between then slowly touching each others chest with the back of my hands...I'm 6'4" 200 and work out 5 days a week so maybe that helped my confidence...but a good official told me once to never touch/grab a player or coach so I was trying to do the best I could. I said firmly "This conversation is over! We have parents, players and other coaches watching us right now. You must leave the court" The coach says fine I'm taking my team with me. I said, "You mean you're going to take this opportunity away from not only your players but the other team's players...I'm disappointed in you".

4) I walked over to the administrator to ask him to go talk some sense into the coach.

5)So how would you have handled this situation? Should I send a report? I've already done a verbal debrief to the tourney director and my assignor?
1) Both "T"s were righteous. Handled well up to this point.

2) Mistake #1. You never get into a pissing match with anybody that's just been tossed. It's an argument that can never be won and nothing good can ever come out of it. You tell the coach that he has to leave. If he refuses, put the clock on him. If the coach is still there after 60 seconds, forfeit the game. What you DO NOT do is argue. Ever! Bad mistake by your partner.

3) Mistakes #2&3. Do not EVER initiate contact with a coach unless you're protecting yourself, no matter how slight the contact is. It WILL get exaggerated. It'll also come back to haunt you. And do NOT sermonize to anyone. That's not your job. You're there to take care of any unsporting conduct. Leave the preaching to whoever is responsible for the follow-up to the ejection. Tell the coach that he has to leave...then keep quiet. Silence can't be quoted, and silence won't make a bad situation worse.

4) Mistake #4. Just inform the administrator that you've ejected the coach and if he's still there in 60 seconds, the game is over. If the administrator wants to take any further action, that's up to him. You've done your job and you won't get blamed if there's any bad reaction to whatever the administrator decided to do.

Write up all the details on the score sheet before proceeding. Also write a full report after the game, and have your partner do likewise. You want your actions on the record.

Jmo.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Sun Jul 29, 2007 at 07:49pm.
Old Sun Jul 29, 2007, 08:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
and that my partner should not have engaged in the name calling...etc. but he's been around awhile and he “doesn't take crap from anyone”.
Now that you know this about this guy, you'll know to avoid him in the future. This kind of partner is a powder keg with a lit fuse.

(PS This isn't a "double technical foul". It's a minor point, but worth noting for the future. There isn't one correct name for this situation, although there are a lot of interesting unofficial names!! But a double technical is when two opponents commit technicals against each other at approximate the same time.)

Last edited by rainmaker; Sun Jul 29, 2007 at 08:30pm.
Old Sun Jul 29, 2007, 08:49pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
There isn't one correct name for this situation,, although there are a lot of interesting unofficial names!! But a double technical is when two opponents commit technicals against each other at approximate the same time.)
NFHS rule 4-19-12--false multiple foul. It's a minor point but worth noting for the future.
Old Sun Jul 29, 2007, 08:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
NFHS rule 4-19-12--false multiple foul. It's a minor point but worth noting for the future.
Groan. The situation I meant was the coach being a jerk and getting tossed, and the coach and the partner yelling about stuff. Duh.
Old Sun Jul 29, 2007, 09:10pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
I'm thinking maybe I issued the second T too quickly
Nope. I agree with Jurassic that both T's were earned.

Quote:
(Do you folks give coaches an opportunity to blow-off steam after the first T?)
I will allow a coach to continue complaining quietly to me if I'm the new Trail. I will not allow a coach to scream or berate me or my partner personally.

Quote:
Should I send a report?
Who would you send the report to? The state HS association? The assignor for the tournament? The tournament director? It's obviously not a regular season game, so what good would a report do? I'm not trying to discourage you, but I'm not sure what a report on a summer tournament game would accomplish.
Old Sun Jul 29, 2007, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

Excellent feedback...

I did not know that you allow 60 seconds for the coach to clear the gym. I agree we should have reported it and stepped away...then engaged the administrator or at that point end the game. Boy that whole ending the game thing isn't something I would care to have done, but I'm sure it's warranted at times.

Are these the types of things you normally discuss in a pre-game? After having worked with this guy I'm thinking it's important to get on the same page before hand...especially when you're with either someone new or a hot head.

Live and learn...again thanks!
Old Mon Jul 30, 2007, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

I agree with Jurassic 100%.

As I've said more than once, a big part of our job as officials is to be the calm voice of reason in an otherwise chaotic environment. If we can't do that, we have no business on the court.

No matter the situation or provocation, we, above all else, must keep our cool - save the emotional release for later in private. What you want anyone who watches the game video to see is a calm, confident official efficiently dealing with the wacko coach/player/etc. in accordance with the rules.

The process is simple:
1. A calm "Coach, that's your 2nd T - by rule you need to leave the gym."
2. If the coach refuses, turn to the table and instruct them to start a 60 second clock.
3. Immediately remove yourself from the possibility of any escalation by getting physically away from the coaches & table - go to the center circle opposite the table as you would for a 60 second time out & let it play out.
Old Mon Jul 30, 2007, 11:56am
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTaylor
I agree with Jurassic 100%.

As I've said more than once, a big part of our job as officials is to be the calm voice of reason in an otherwise chaotic environment. If we can't do that, we have no business on the court.

No matter the situation or provocation, we, above all else, must keep our cool - save the emotional release for later in private. What you want anyone who watches the game video to see is a calm, confident official efficiently dealing with the wacko coach/player/etc. in accordance with the rules.

The process is simple:
1. A calm "Coach, that's your 2nd T - by rule you need to leave the gym."
2. If the coach refuses, turn to the table and instruct them to start a 60 second clock.
3. Immediately remove yourself from the possibility of any escalation by getting physically away from the coaches & table - go to the center circle opposite the table as you would for a 60 second time out & let it play out.
And I agree with Tim 132%.

Well said re: looking like you're capable of handling any situation without getting excited or losing your poise.