View Single Post
Old Sun Jul 29, 2007, 07:21pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by NURef
1) Time-out called after #1 fouls whereby the #1 coach yells "That's just the type of call I expected form you guys...". My partner issues the T and I confront the coach to explain he's got to sit. The coach comes unglued and yells, "you guys suck...you're terrible" as he's walking toward us. I issue the next T and report while my partner switches to inform the coach he must leave the gym.

2) I turn around and my partner and the head coach are about 1/2 inch away from each other’s face and conducting a major pissing contest. My partner tells the coach that he's a terrible coach and that he's also ugly...the coach is saying more things about how he sucks and is the worst official he's ever seen.... they are not having a quiet conversation.

3) So, I stepped between then slowly touching each others chest with the back of my hands...I'm 6'4" 200 and work out 5 days a week so maybe that helped my confidence...but a good official told me once to never touch/grab a player or coach so I was trying to do the best I could. I said firmly "This conversation is over! We have parents, players and other coaches watching us right now. You must leave the court" The coach says fine I'm taking my team with me. I said, "You mean you're going to take this opportunity away from not only your players but the other team's players...I'm disappointed in you".

4) I walked over to the administrator to ask him to go talk some sense into the coach.

5)So how would you have handled this situation? Should I send a report? I've already done a verbal debrief to the tourney director and my assignor?
1) Both "T"s were righteous. Handled well up to this point.

2) Mistake #1. You never get into a pissing match with anybody that's just been tossed. It's an argument that can never be won and nothing good can ever come out of it. You tell the coach that he has to leave. If he refuses, put the clock on him. If the coach is still there after 60 seconds, forfeit the game. What you DO NOT do is argue. Ever! Bad mistake by your partner.

3) Mistakes #2&3. Do not EVER initiate contact with a coach unless you're protecting yourself, no matter how slight the contact is. It WILL get exaggerated. It'll also come back to haunt you. And do NOT sermonize to anyone. That's not your job. You're there to take care of any unsporting conduct. Leave the preaching to whoever is responsible for the follow-up to the ejection. Tell the coach that he has to leave...then keep quiet. Silence can't be quoted, and silence won't make a bad situation worse.

4) Mistake #4. Just inform the administrator that you've ejected the coach and if he's still there in 60 seconds, the game is over. If the administrator wants to take any further action, that's up to him. You've done your job and you won't get blamed if there's any bad reaction to whatever the administrator decided to do.

Write up all the details on the score sheet before proceeding. Also write a full report after the game, and have your partner do likewise. You want your actions on the record.

Jmo.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Sun Jul 29, 2007 at 07:49pm.