The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 12, 2007, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
Hell, I'd hate to work a game with you if you're tossing players for minor stuff. What the heck you gonna do when a real problem comes along?
If you eject for what you call the "minor stuff", then you won't have to deal with the "major stuff."

I have to admit, though, it doesn't always work -- take this forum, for example. One individual's posts have been edited, deleted, and the individual has been suspended. Yet the individual still posts here.
Old Thu Jul 12, 2007, 09:28am
Administrator

Quote:
Did you ever consider, grandpa or Aunt Mary drives a 100miles to see Billy play for the first time, ....

Old School:

If little Billy does something that warrants ejection, then I guess that Grandpa or Aunt Mary are out of luck. And I did have a situation similar to your hypothetical situation: Girls' H.S. varsity soccer game. I am the Head Referee in a Dual System officiating crew. H1 is wearing a cast, that is padded, but still illegal. H1's sister, who was attending college away from home, had returned home to see her sister play. Today's game would be the only time that the older sister would get a chance to see her younger sister play that year. I did not let play H1 play because of the cast, even though her coach said that other officials had let her play with the cast including my partner who was the Head Referee in Home team's last game three days before.

Officials are paid big bucks to make the tough decisions. If you can't stand the heat, then stay out of the kitchen.

As others have said, I am glad I do not have to officiate with you.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Jul 12, 2007, 09:37am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Old School:

MTD, Sr.
Likewise....
Old Thu Jul 12, 2007, 10:53am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Did you ever consider, grandpa or Aunt Mary drives a 100miles to see Billy play for the first time
Nope, never occurs to me.
Quote:
, and he/she gets ejected in the first quarter because him and another player was going after a loose ball, all out, which is the way the coaches want you play, and trigger happy it's all about me referee ejects Billy and opponent because he didn't like the way they looked at each other when they got up off the ground, after diving for the ball. No blood, no punches thrown, just good ole fashion hustle. I guess if you never played the game at that level you wouldn't understand.
This isn't even close to the situation described. No one here would eject for this. The OP is two kids running full bore at each other, not at the ball.
Reading is about more than making words out of the pretty little letters on your screen. It also involves making full sentences out of the words.
Old Thu Jul 12, 2007, 11:40am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Nope, never occurs to me.
This isn't even close to the situation described. No one here would eject for this. The OP is two kids running full bore at each other, not at the ball.
Reading is about more than making words out of the pretty little letters on your screen. It also involves making full sentences out of the words.
I never seen that happen on a basketball court, maybe that's why I misinterpret. I thought he mentioned something about a lose ball.
Old Thu Jul 12, 2007, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Hell, I'd hate to work a game with you if you're tossing players for minor stuff. What the heck you gonna do when a real problem comes along?
*Tweet* - forfeit, game over.

Quote:
Did you ever consider, grandpa or Aunt Mary drives a 100miles to see Billy play for the first time
Not really.

If it's that big of a deal, I'll give them a quarter to call for the cab ride home.
Old Thu Jul 12, 2007, 12:50pm
Administrator

Quote:
Likewise....

Likewise?? Is that all you have got?

ROFLMAO

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Jul 12, 2007, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Likewise?? Is that all you have got?

ROFLMAO

MTD, Sr.
Some of us are surprised the village idiot could stop wanking himself long enough to dig that one up.
Old Thu Jul 12, 2007, 01:13pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I never seen that happen on a basketball court, maybe that's why I misinterpret. I thought he mentioned something about a lose ball.
Read it again. It started with a loose ball. After that, the players ran after each other and had to be stopped by other players to prevent an "actual" fight.

And I don't care if the Secretary General of the UN, The Pope, President Bush, and President Clinton were all there to watch the kid play.
Old Thu Jul 12, 2007, 01:35pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Read it again. It started with a loose ball. After that, the players ran after each other and had to be stopped by other players to prevent an "actual" fight.

And I don't care if the Secretary General of the UN, The Pope, President Bush, and President Clinton were all there to watch the kid play.
Upon further review, I would say ejections where warrented. That type of hostility is hard to recover from. I guess I would have to be there to determine what I would have done. Snaqs, also got thrown from partners reaction who was the other ref there.
Old Thu Jul 12, 2007, 01:43pm
Administrator

Quote:
Likewise....

Old School:

Are you telling me and everybody else that you would not make a warranted ejection of little Billy because his Grandpa and Aunt Mary traveled 100 miles to see him play for the very first time?

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Jul 12, 2007, 02:03pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Mark,
It looks to me like he vastly misread the OP and thought they were ejected for running fiercely at a loose ball.
Old Thu Jul 12, 2007, 04:08pm

Quote:
Old School:

Are you telling me and everybody else that you would not make a warranted ejection of little Billy because his Grandpa and Aunt Mary traveled 100 miles to see him play for the very first time?

MTD, Sr.
Had a similiar situation where after a mad scrammble for the ball, 2 players down on court. Ball slips away and is now heading in other direction, fast break. I'm old lead going new trail. Because of physical activity on the scrammble, I stay with 2 players getting up off the floor in backcourt. Player A5 shoves B3 back down to the floor and gets up and runs down the court. I suppose I could have ejected BillyBob for the shove, and I thought about it and reason that the shove was more than a common foul, but less than a flagrant. So I called a technical foul. Turned out Billy Dad was the scorekeeper and did not like the physical play of the incident, and he did not see ole BillyBob shove other player. It was early Sunday morning, 1st game out the gate, 9:00am. Rival schools and either these parents didn't like having to get up early Sunday morning or they all had bad Saturday nights. I will never forget this game as everybody in the gym was pissed off except for me. I was taking it easy, easy like Sunday morning.....but I still gave ole BillyBob a technical and I remeber telling all the parents, you all need to be in church.

Have a nice day....
Old Thu Jul 12, 2007, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Old School:

If little Billy does something that warrants ejection, then I guess that Grandpa or Aunt Mary are out of luck. And I did have a situation similar to your hypothetical situation: Girls' H.S. varsity soccer game. I am the Head Referee in a Dual System officiating crew. H1 is wearing a cast, that is padded, but still illegal. H1's sister, who was attending college away from home, had returned home to see her sister play. Today's game would be the only time that the older sister would get a chance to see her younger sister play that year. I did not let play H1 play because of the cast, even though her coach said that other officials had let her play with the cast including my partner who was the Head Referee in Home team's last game three days before.

Officials are paid big bucks to make the tough decisions. If you can't stand the heat, then stay out of the kitchen.

MTD, Sr.
MTD,
May I inquire what exactly was "still illegal" about the cast since it is permissible for players to wear hard casts in an NFHS game if it is properly padded and there is a medical release present. (4-2-1c and play ruling 4.2.1 Situation C) What specifically about the situation made you withhold referee approval?

4.2.1 Situation C: A player wears a hard cast on an arm or a hard splint on a finger that has been covered with a foam-rubber padding and then wrapped securely with a soft elastic athletic bandage. RULING: Legal. Players may participate if wearing a hard cast or hard splint if properly padded and with medical permission and referee approval.
Old Thu Jul 12, 2007, 05:07pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Had a similiar situation where after a mad scrammble for the ball, 2 players down on court. Ball slips away and is now heading in other direction, fast break. I'm old lead going new trail. Because of physical activity on the scrammble, I stay with 2 players getting up off the floor in backcourt. Player A5 shoves B3 back down to the floor and gets up and runs down the court. I suppose I could have ejected BillyBob for the shove, and I thought about it and reason that the shove was more than a common foul, but less than a flagrant. So I called a technical foul.

I will never forget this game as everybody in the gym was pissed off except for me. I was taking it easy, easy like Sunday morning.....but I still gave ole BillyBob a technical and I remeber telling all the parents, you all need to be in church.
Absolutely great, you moron. The only thing that you absolutely couldn't call on this play was a freaking technical foul. Live-ball contact fouls have to be a PERSONAL foul of some kind. The RULES say that you could call either a common personal foul, an intentional personal foul or a flagrant personal foul. Instead, Mr. WannabeAnOfficialSomeday calls the only thing that the rules won't allow to be called---a technical foul of some kind.

And this basic little fact has already been pointed out to you several times since you first infested this forum.

You could screw up a one-car funeral.

Lah me.....it just never stops.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Thu Jul 12, 2007 at 05:26pm.