The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 05, 2007, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Originally Posted by Old School
A wise man once said, best to cover 90% of what you can see and not worry about the 10% that you can not, then to try and cover the 10% and miss 90% of what's happening on the floor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
Which wise man said that?
Harold Weisman, a near-sighted carpet salesman.
Old Thu Jul 05, 2007, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
Harold Weisman, a near-sighted carpet salesman.
That answer just floors me.

I'm not sure if you're just trying to pile on, or if you're just trying to pad your resume.

Either way, I think you've just about covered it.

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu Jul 05, 2007, 01:49pm

Quote:
Which wise man said that?
The man that wrote it! Fear not as he does not want your job.
Old Thu Jul 05, 2007, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
The man that wrote it!
Are you saying you are the wise man, because you wrote it in that particular post?

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu Jul 05, 2007, 02:17pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
That statement is illogical to the point of stupidity.
That statement was kind of stupid. Cappy just keeps surpassing himself every time he posts.

Peace
Old Thu Jul 05, 2007, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Mr JRut. Wow, are you ever wrong? You post daily, and post after post it is always seems to be your way or the highway. A little humility would be nice once in a while.
Old Thu Jul 05, 2007, 02:23pm

Quote:
Are you saying you are the wise man, because you wrote it in that particular post?
A wise man once said, be not too concerned with who said it, as to what is being said.
Old Thu Jul 05, 2007, 02:27pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I'd ask your wise man for your money back, if I were you.
Old Thu Jul 05, 2007, 02:37pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom M.
Mr JRut. Wow, are you ever wrong? You post daily, and post after post it is always seems to be your way or the highway. A little humility would be nice once in a while.
What does humility have to do with giving an opinion? Just like I would never do what most say on this board about this subject, I can guarantee you there are people that will never do what I suggest either. And that is the reason some people get to certain places and others are still wondering why they are being held back. We all have choices to make that those choices have consequences.

If you do not like the opinions that I or anyone else gives, do not follow the damn advice or point of view. I just came back from a camp in Kentucky and I can tell you everything that I heard over the 3 days I would not do. I paid $560 for that advice and instruction (plus air fare with a cancelled flight and waiting hours on standby, and a rental car). This place is free and no one is going to assign you a thing based on what you say here. If you do not like the words that I have to say, do not use them. I personally do not give a rat's ***. I am not going to win an extra prize if you ignore what I have to say.

Peace
Old Thu Jul 05, 2007, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
A wise man once said, be not too concerned with who said it, as to what is being said.
Which wise man said that? Please be a little more specific in your next answer.

Actually, who said it lends a great deal of credibilty to what is being said. The impression here is that when you use the term "a wise man once said...", you are trying to elevate the level of your opinion by adding the wise man characterization. This actually proves my point, because if you have a valid point, it should be able to stand on its own, (what is being said), rather than trying to increase credibility by adding the part about the wise man (who said it).

So, if you have an opinion that is valid, simply state your opinion without adding who said it. If you are trying to supplement your opinion with someone else's statement (to obviously add credibility to your opinion), then give credit to the person making that statement.

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu Jul 05, 2007, 02:51pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
What does humility have to do with giving an opinion? Just like I would never do what most say on this board about this subject, I can guarantee you there are people that will never do what I suggest either. And that is the reason some people get to certain places and others are still wondering why they are being held back. We all have choices to make that those choices have consequences.

If you do not like the opinions that I or anyone else gives, do not follow the damn advice or point of view. If you do not like the words that I have to say, do not use them. I personally do not give a rat's ***. I am not going to win an extra prize if you ignore what I have to say.
I told you that grumpiness comes with experience.

Just an observation, fwiw, before I get the popcorn out. Most top officials that I have met have a few things in common. They are usually type A personalities who are very, very confident in their own abilities. They might act humble, but believe me, when it comes to their opinion of their own officiating ability, they aren't. Sometimes that self-confidence can be confused with arrogance. There's a big difference.

Was it Padgett that posted something like "Sometimes wrong but never uncertain"? That's usually the mark of a good official imo.
Old Thu Jul 05, 2007, 03:01pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I told you that grumpiness comes with experience.
I do not know about the grumpiness part. I am not quite there. When I start talking about what happen in the 20th century that might be the case then.

Quote:
Just an observation, fwiw, before I get the popcorn out. Most top officials that I have met have a few things in common. They are usually type A personalities who are very, very confident in their own abilities. They might act humble, but believe me, when it comes to their opinion of their own officiating ability, they aren't. Sometimes that self-confidence can be confused with arrogance. There's a big difference.
I completely agree. When you are a veteran you have done something over and over and over again and you know it works (for you at least).

Quote:
Was it Padgett that posted something like "Sometimes wrong but never uncertain"? That's usually the mark of a good official imo.
I am not sure I fully understand the statement, but I think I get the point.

Peace
Old Thu Jul 05, 2007, 03:27pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
When you are a veteran you have done something over and over and over again and you know it works (for you at least).
That's a good point too. What works well for one official will not necessarily work well for all officials. By trial, error and experience, you usually figure out what works best for you and your personality.

A wise man once said "Just because you take different paths doesn't mean that you won't end up at the same destination."

That wise man wasn't Cappy btw.....
Old Thu Jul 05, 2007, 03:28pm

Quote:
Which wise man said that? Please be a little more specific in your next answer.

Actually, who said it lends a great deal of credibilty to what is being said. The impression here is that when you use the term "a wise man once said...", you are trying to elevate the level of your opinion by adding the wise man characterization. This actually proves my point, because if you have a valid point, it should be able to stand on its own, (what is being said), rather than trying to increase credibility by adding the part about the wise man (who said it).

So, if you have an opinion that is valid, simply state your opinion without adding who said it. If you are trying to supplement your opinion with someone else's statement (to obviously add credibility to your opinion), then give credit to the person making that statement.
Too much information!

Please do not over analyze the wise man. He is not on trial here and he does not want your job, so relax and call off the dogs.
Old Thu Jul 05, 2007, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

Huh?
Quote:
Please do not over analyze the wise man.
Actually, I'm not analizing the wise man, I'm trying to analyze you and your statements. Or are you saying you are the wise man?
Quote:
He is not on trial here
Well, if you are the wise man you are referring to, then yes, you/he are on trial for your comments. If you are not the wise man you refer to in your comments, then I agree, he is not on trial here.
Quote:
and he does not want your job
What job is that? Have you talked to him recently regarding his employment prospects?
Quote:
so relax and call off the dogs.
I am relaxed. I also don't own any dogs; my wife and kids have a cat that has trouble attacking anything.

(Used with permission.)