The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 04, 2007, 07:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbruno
Please don't listen (not that you ever should) to 3 second chants .... you have the ball and that's all..... thats why they have 2 or 3 referees.
Yup.

As much as I can't stand coaches counting "three . . . four . . . five," I tolerate even less of it (that is - none at all) when I'm working a game by myself.
Old Wed Jul 04, 2007, 08:28pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
As much as I can't stand coaches counting "three . . . four . . . five,"
"Coach - you made me lose count. Now I have to start over."
Old Wed Jul 04, 2007, 09:47pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
"Coach - you made me lose count. Now I have to start over."
My friend uses the same approach in a football game when coaches are yelling that a delay of game flag should be thrown. He has clever retorts at times.
Old Wed Jul 04, 2007, 09:50pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
Yup.

As much as I can't stand coaches counting "three . . . four . . . five," I tolerate even less of it (that is - none at all) when I'm working a game by myself.
There was a post here at OF.com years ago about a woman who would always yell for 3 in the key.

It turned out that she thought the offense couldn't have 3 or more players in the (frontcourt) key at any given time.
Old Thu Jul 05, 2007, 03:22am
Official Forum Member

As a coach, I've had refs tell both coaches that they would stay opposite table, and might need help from the coaches on OOB tableside. It is similar to what was said about asking the table, but in a lot of summer league games, the table is parents from either school. Wanting parents to help may be even worse that wanting coaches to help. Also, when this has been done, the ref would say that if there is any disagreement then it would go to the alternating posession arrow.
Old Thu Jul 05, 2007, 08:09am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Here is the thing cappy. I will do whatever the hell I want to do. I am the only person on the game. If I am the only person on the game, I am out of position all the time for something. If I stay table side I will not see plays opposite table. If I state above the FT line I can easily miss things on the baseline. No matter where I stand or move to, I will not see something. If they wanted a set mechanic, they would create one. There are no mechanics in any book as to where to stand. There is only personal opinion and often those opinions are based on what someone else shared with them. No games during the regular season are assigned with one official on purpose.
I'm not saying there is a set mechanic but if you should happen to be in a situation like this. It is helpful to understand and learn from people who have experienced it. You can try to go anywhere you want but you will more often then not be out of position for an obvious violation. Staying back with the widest angle view is the best, working in from here when the play allows you too. I say this from expereinced, trial and error. I'm just sharing. Don't shoot the messenger.
Old Thu Jul 05, 2007, 08:18am
Official Forum Member

Great question. I had to work 15 games the past two weekends by myself. This is the first time I went in knowing I was going to be by myself.

I did a lot of staying opposite the bench but migrated to the middle of the floor when the ball swung weakside. Sometimes I felt like an umpire in football when we went the other way rather quickly. I always made sure I had the whistle out of my mouth as the players were going by.

I administered the FT like the old days from the trial. Really seems silly now that it used to take two of us to administer a FT.

I asked for the honor system from the players on difficult OOB decision. Like in a two or three man system, many times you can tell by the way the players react whose ball it is.

This was a team camp so I was working multiple games. If the ball was to be inbounded in the backcourt and there was no press I didn't even ask for the ball. If there was subbing going on I just put my palm out like a traffic cop and the players waited. The main reason for doing this is that we were using a running clock so I really didn't mind saving a few steps and giving them the time to play.

After having worked the one man system now I really do think you have to find what you are comfortable with. If you are working many games like I did you really, really, can't let your mind wander. That was the biggest challenge as the games went along.
Old Thu Jul 05, 2007, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

I really appreciate the recommendations...

I was thinking the last few minutes of the half that night that I need to work opposite table and stay above the FT but it was sort of like "I've fallen and I can't get up".

I really liked the idea of a pre-game and asking the players to help via the honor system on opposite baseline OOB...calling jump ball if it can't be resolved.

The bottom line, as many stated, is there are no published mechanics for a one official game so you've got to do what's comfortable and what I did was not comfortable...live and learn.

Thanks!
Old Thu Jul 05, 2007, 09:41am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
I'm not saying there is a set mechanic but if you should happen to be in a situation like this. It is helpful to understand and learn from people who have experienced it. You can try to go anywhere you want but you will more often then not be out of position for an obvious violation. Staying back with the widest angle view is the best, working in from here when the play allows you too. I say this from expereinced, trial and error. I'm just sharing. Don't shoot the messenger.
I have experienced it, Cappy, duuuhhhhhhhhaaaaaa. I have worked by myself several times where a partner has not shown up or is very late. I have also done this several times in real games which you likely know nothing about. There is not "best angle." You are by yourself and you cannot see the out of bounds lines you cannot see off ball plays.

Peace

Last edited by JRutledge; Thu Jul 05, 2007 at 09:52am.
Old Thu Jul 05, 2007, 09:46am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
I have experienced it, Cappy, duuuhhhhhhhhaaaaaa.
Just trying to help.
Old Thu Jul 05, 2007, 09:52am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
Just trying to help.
I forgot to include that. I will remember next time.

Peace
Old Thu Jul 05, 2007, 10:28am
MABO Member

Good thing Cappies posts don't get to ya! I'd hate to see ya really upset with someone. After all your always so pleasant with everyone.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Thu Jul 05, 2007, 12:58pm

Quote:
I have experienced it, Cappy, duuuhhhhhhhhaaaaaa. I have worked by myself several times where a partner has not shown up or is very late. I have also done this several times in real games which you likely know nothing about. There is not "best angle." You are by yourself and you cannot see the out of bounds lines you cannot see off ball plays.
The objective is to get the obvious. You go running around trying to get the best angle on every play and guaranteed, you will miss the obvious. I don't know who cappy is but I do know what I know. If it can help someone than great, if not, then throw it away and ignore it. When by yourself, the widest angle is the best angle.

A wise man once said, best to cover 90% of what you can see and not worry about the 10% that you can not, then to try and cover the 10% and miss 90% of what's happening on the floor.

Have a nice day...
Old Thu Jul 05, 2007, 01:08pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
You go running around trying to get the best angle on every play and guaranteed, you will miss the obvious.
That statement is illogical to the point of stupidity.
Old Thu Jul 05, 2007, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
A wise man once said, best to cover 90% of what you can see and not worry about the 10% that you can not, then to try and cover the 10% and miss 90% of what's happening on the floor.
Which wise man said that?

(Used with permission.)