The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 02, 2007, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Would you "T"

I was doing and AAU boys High School game. Coach called time out and chewed his team out using profanity and was sooooooooooo loud that easily everyone in the gym could hear him if not in the lobby too. In fact it brought the gym to silence and he continued for about the whole time out (30 sec). I didnt call a "T" neither did my partner but we looked at each other like maybe we should have done something. I never thought of calling a "T" because he was trying to motivate his team but on the other hand I think he was probably out of control. My partner told me later a parent did complain. I did "T" him later in the game for something directed toward us but had nothing to do with this.

Last edited by Philz; Mon Jul 02, 2007 at 02:33pm.
Old Mon Jul 02, 2007, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philz
I was doing and AAU boys High School game. Coach called time out and chewed his team out using profanity and was sooooooooooo loud that easily everyone in the gym could hear him if not in the lobby too. In fact it brought the gym to silence and he continued for about the whole time out (30 sec). I didnt call a "T" neither did my partner but we looked at each other like maybe we should have done something. I never thought of calling a "T" because he was trying to motivate his team but on the other hand I think he was probably out of control. My partner told me later a parent did complain. I did "T" him later in the game for something directed toward us but had nothing to do with this.
In a HS game, if it's as loud as you say, and it's that noticable that everybody heard it, yes. In an AAU game, I'd ask the assigner what he wants.
Old Mon Jul 02, 2007, 08:30pm
Administrator

Quote:

Would I have T'ed the coach? In a heart beat. AAU Boys' Baseketball is conducted using NFHS rules and that is a technical foul under NFHS rules. If the tournament director or your assignor does not want to support you then you do not need the agravation of officiating their games. AND, yes I have officiated AAU boys' and girls' national championships tournaments.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Jul 02, 2007, 09:39pm
Do not give a damn!!

Nope. It is AAU, that is their business. If the parents do not care, why should I? Even during the HS season I would be reluctant to give a T anyway. A T is not going to solve all problems.

Peace

Last edited by JRutledge; Mon Jul 02, 2007 at 10:37pm.
Old Mon Jul 02, 2007, 10:33pm
Official Forum Member

If it is not directed toward me or my partners I'm not giving a T in HS or AAU. I'm not saying this is right or wrong, it is just not a path I want to go down.

Have you ever heard a coach "talk to their players or staff" when it is obvious it is directed toward you?

Example: Coach says to his players, "Keep blocking out, we will eventually get that call." I've made a mistake of saying something like "Coach, there wasn't a blockout there (or something similar)." Coach immediately says, "I was talking to my players, not you."

Although I know why the comment was made he was not talking to me.

This is a reason I try to live by these guidelines I learned from a vet:
Ignore comments
Answer questions
Penalize insanity

The coach is acting insane in the huddle and that is not my business IMO. If a parent wants to complain and it is a HS game I would direct her to the AD. If it is an AAU game, well, they can probably find another coach they can play for.
Old Tue Jul 03, 2007, 12:12am
Keeper of the HAMMER

If he's on a profanity laced tirade, it's a T. The rules explicitly state that the officials can call a T on a coach who is swearing at his players.
If a coach tries the "I was talking to my players," and the situation warrants, the easy response is, "You don't actually have to talk to me for it to be unsportsmanlike."
Old Tue Jul 03, 2007, 01:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
A T is not going to solve all problems.
A T will solve a surprising number of problems, however.
Old Tue Jul 03, 2007, 01:28am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boiler14
If it is not directed toward me or my partners I'm not giving a T in HS or AAU. I'm not saying this is right or wrong, it is just not a path I want to go down.
Well, the high schools (NFHS) have already said that you are wrong.

From a POE from a few years ago--"INAPPROPRIATE LANGUAGE: The committee is concerned about the use of inappropriate language by players, bench personnel, coaches, officials and spectators. Each group has a responsibility to the game and to each other to demonstrate civility and citizenship. The team huddle is not a safe haven for coaches' bad language. Players are not permitted to "let off steam" by using profanity, even if it is not directed at an opponent or official. Being angry at oneself is no excuse."

And before you script a reply, be aware that the NFHS has already answered your reply in another POE in last year's rulebook--"RULES ENFORCEMENT: Officials need to be aware that personal interpretations of the rules have a negative impact on the game. The rules are written to provide a balance between offense and defense,minimize risk to participants, promote the sound tradition of the game and promote fair play. Individual philosophies and deviations from the rules as written negatively impact the basic fundamentals and tenets of the rules."

How do I put this nicely? Hmmmmm.....I guess that I can't. When I read comments like yours above, the first thing that I say to myself is "Yup, another one that's afraid to call the T."
Old Tue Jul 03, 2007, 01:48am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
A T will solve a surprising number of problems, however.
And what would those be?

Peace
Old Tue Jul 03, 2007, 02:17am
Official Forum Member

Would I call a technical? Yup
Old Tue Jul 03, 2007, 07:32am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boiler14
This is a reason I try to live by these guidelines I learned from a vet:

Ignore comments
Answer questions
Penalize insanity

The coach is acting insane in the huddle and that is not my business.
The highlighted portions of your post seem incongruous to me.
Old Tue Jul 03, 2007, 07:48am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
The highlighted portions of your post seem incongruous to me.
The "ignore comments" advice is pretty funny too imo.
Old Tue Jul 03, 2007, 08:01am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Nope as long as he didnt drop the "F" Bomb or was cursing.....he can screem all he wants to his team.
Old Tue Jul 03, 2007, 08:03am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IREFU2
Nope as long as he didnt drop the "F" Bomb or was cursing.....he can screem all he wants to his team.
Part of the story was "Coach called time out and chewed his team out using profanity".
Old Tue Jul 03, 2007, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Darn, I am still sipping on coffee......eyes stiff foggy. If he dropped the F bomb, I would stick him. But, if the curse words were like the common ones used, I would talk to him about his choise of words. Thanks for that Scrapper1!