The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 06, 2007, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
a referee is good and deserving. Geece JRUT, I'm disappointed. Who the hell do you think votes a referee into the hall of fame?
It's always been the ticket-taker who has let me in.
Old Fri Jul 06, 2007, 12:54pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
So you're saying a coach can't make an unbias decision that he/she feels a referee is good and deserving. Geece JRUT, I'm disappointed. Who the hell do you think votes a referee into the hall of fame? I was not born yesterday.
Yeah, Cappy, please do tell us who votes a referee into the Basketball Hall of Fame.

According to the website, the Honors Committee that does the selecting is generally made up out of Hall of Fame members, basketball executives, media members and other contributors. Coaches aren't even mentioned.

www.hoophall.com/ot/bhof-enshrinement.html

Maybe you weren't born yesterday, but you sureashell don't have a clue as to what happened yesterday. Or today. Or tomorrow. Or......

Coaches are biased towards their team. Period.
Old Fri Jul 06, 2007, 02:37pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I am not saying anything other than repeating comments from a Division 1 Assignor. I was sharing you what someone who is hired by a conference what he thinks of coaches and their opinions about officials. I have been to many college camps and I have yet to see any coaches as evaluators of the officials to decide who gets hired. Now coaches my have an opinion, but it is weighed up against the rules, mechanics and procedures set by the conference, NCAA or the assignor.
You and your DI assigner friend must be deranged because coaches do evaluate officials, especially at the DI level and will be the first ones to speak up if they feel an official is not capable. You don't think that coaches make recommendation huh? Well that proves to me that you are only concerned with one side of the profession. That's okay, if it works for you, but you are missing out on another side of the coin that could be beneficial to you and your career. I prefer to keep all my options open.

And before I leave, let me just say that you are not the only one that knows DI officials. Several years ago I had a DI clinician tell me she got picked up when the coach recommended her because of how hard she worked this meaningless game. So you see, there are many ways to get picked up. I guess it depends on the conference and how hard you're willing to work for it.
Old Fri Jul 06, 2007, 02:54pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
You and your DI assigner friend must be deranged because coaches do evaluate officials, especially at the DI level and will be the first ones to speak up if they feel an official is not capable.
RIF.

Again, you're missing completely what Jeff is trying to tell you. Yes, coaches evaluate officials. No, that sureashell doesn't mean that those evaluations actually mean a damn thing to assignors. Assignors are paid by leagues for their expertise.

You keep yapping without understanding what you're being told.

Silly monkey.....
Old Fri Jul 06, 2007, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You and your DI assigner friend must be deranged because coaches do evaluate officials, especially at the DI level and will be the first ones to speak up if they feel an official is not capable. You don't think that coaches make recommendation huh? Well that proves to me that you are only concerned with one side of the profession. That's okay, if it works for you, but you are missing out on another side of the coin that could be beneficial to you and your career. I prefer to keep all my options open.

And before I leave, let me just say that you are not the only one that knows DI officials. Several years ago I had a DI clinician tell me she got picked up when the coach recommended her because of how hard she worked this meaningless game. So you see, there are many ways to get picked up. I guess it depends on the conference and how hard you're willing to work for it.
what a tease you are
Old Fri Jul 06, 2007, 11:21pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Coaches might give an evaluation that does not mean the evaluations hold much water outside of simple information. For your information every D1 game very likely has an evaluator at each site anyway. Every game D1 officials have someone telling them what they are doing and reviewing the tape. And every game is likely evaluated on tape by someone. The coaches might fill out a form, but the assignor can use it how they see fit. In other words, if the coach is wrong, then just like anything they are told how well the officials did and that their complaints are not valid.

Quote:
Also if you could read you would see I did not say I knew the supervisor. I never met the supervisor before the camp I attended. This was not someone that just worked D1 but they now assigned for a D1 conference. And this person's resume is a lot bigger than you and I and everyone here combined. Also this was a Women's D1 official. What happens in Women's college basketball is a lot different than Men's college basketball. There are assignors on the Women's side that have 10 conferences under them. On the Men's side there is only one person that assigns 4 conferences and that person I can assure you are not going to be hired you based on what some coach says. If you do not attend his camp or work other D1 conferences, you can forget every getting hired. Even an evaluation of another D1 official is very unlikely you will get hired. Even on the Women's side they are not hiring based solely on a recommendation from anyone. They want to see you in a camp setting, see if you can handle the pressure and the environment then if you are good enough you might get hired to work some games. You also better have a decent resume or background to get hired as well. Cappy, I am not talking about one D1 friend, I literally know several D1 officials personally that either I have worked with during the HS and college seasons. Not that means I will ever get hired at that level. It just means when you know these guys they talk about what they deal with and how they were hired. I have never, ever, ever heard them say someone was fired because a coach gave an evaluation. Now a coach might point out something like a missed rule or certain kind of behavior by the official, but the supervisor has the final say about who works and who does not work.

Oh forget it; I know who I am talking to.

Peace
Old Mon Jul 09, 2007, 11:09pm

Quote:
The coaches might fill out a form, but the assignor can use it how they see fit. In other words, if the coach is wrong, then just like anything they are told how well the officials did and that their complaints are not valid.
Since you are so sure of yourself, please share for the reading audiance what the assigners do when the coach is right?

Quote:
And this person's resume is a lot bigger than you and I and everyone here combined. If you do not attend his camp or work other D1 conferences, you can forget every getting hired. You also better have a decent resume or background to get hired as well. Cappy, I am not talking about one D1 friend, I literally know several D1 officials personally that either I have worked with during the HS and college seasons.

Oh forget it; I know who I am talking to.
My point in all this is not to show off my credentials or who I know but to get the majority to realize and understand that this is a full blown business. There are good people on both sides of the aisle. Enjoy yourself and everyone you get to meet in this basketball business as your time on the court is not promised.

I think sports in our soceity is ruining the society. Too much is put on winning and not enough on enjoying the journey. We have to think about the type of person we are turning out. Win at all cost, take no prisoners attitude. Iimagine if you will, what it must be like for a man of this size to run between the tackles, and dodge linebackers twice his size and strength, and is ultimately responsible to win the game. We want to act surpise when this same man raises pit-bulls to fight. This guy is in a dog fight everytime he steps on the field.

We do not have to be in a dog fight everytime we take the court or speak to each other on a internet forum. I'm hear to tell you there are more people who don't get a chance then there are people who do. You may not get to be a D1 official, you may not even know any DI officials, but you do not have to sell your sole to the devil to be happy or to get picked up. All that is a bunch of hype to keep you coming back, all the while, the deck is stacked. That's right, they already know who they are going to hire this year before the camp even starts.
Old Tue Jul 10, 2007, 01:08am
Do not give a damn!!

Huh??

Peace