Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 04, 2002, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
multiple mechanics

JRut,

Changing the subject just a bit........since you have now had a smattering of HS, men's NCAA and womens's NCAA all in the same year, do you ever have problems differentiating between the different mechanics and rules from night to night?

This can be a problem....what do you do (above and beyond a good pregame) to make sure that you are in the right mode for the evening?
Old Fri Jan 04, 2002, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
In my neck of the woods ("greater" NYC) the HS mechanic is
used during HS games (raise hand on OOB). Every once in
a while a "just point" will slip in, but usually not. You
are expected to use the mechanics for the game you're
working. And IMO it will be a long time before this
mechanic is taken out of the HS book. It might never even
happen.
Old Fri Jan 04, 2002, 11:39am
Do not give a damn!!

Thumbs up Re: multiple mechanics

Quote:
Originally posted by bigwhistle
JRut,

Changing the subject just a bit........since you have now had a smattering of HS, men's NCAA and womens's NCAA all in the same year, do you ever have problems differentiating between the different mechanics and rules from night to night?

This can be a problem....what do you do (above and beyond a good pregame) to make sure that you are in the right mode for the evening?
Not really. I only have about 8 games that are college this year. I still had scheduled about 50 HS games so it really is not that hard. The rules are really not that difficult to understand from one level to another. And I have not had any Ts or any really unusual things happen yet at the college level so there has been no rules applications that I would have a problem with. And mechanically, Men's NCAA and NF do things almost the same. Women's NCAA does things so differently as it relates to coverage and things like that, that when I do a Women's game, I do alot of reading the night and the day before the game.

It really is not that hard at all. You just have to spend time trying to understand the differences. Once you understand them, moving back and forth is like driving a car one day, and driving an SUV the other day. If you have done both, it is like riding a bike to a certain extent.

Peace
Old Fri Jan 04, 2002, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to BOBBYMO Send a message via Yahoo to BOBBYMO
32 years old 11 years officiating High school and college. {I have my 1st d-2 game tonight!!}
Old Fri Jan 04, 2002, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Spaman_29
1. 27
2. 11 Years
3. Junior College

Hey just a quick comment on those people who are so critical of not using the college mechanics. They are usually the ones who either can't get hired onto the college level or were fired because they couldn't handle it. Do your best to call at the level you are on. Rarely do I raise my hand on an oob play in a high school game. I usually just point the way we are going. And for those who say, "oh my!" get real! The game is changing get on the band wagon or get off. Because it will soon be changed in high school.
1. 28
2. 10 years
3. NCAA D-II

I agree with JRut and all the others who have stated that you must use the approved mechanics at the level you're working. BTW - not stopping the clock is NOT AN APPROVED mechanic in the CCA manual. According to the CCA manual, officials are still to stop the clock, then point. I know that most supervisors don't have a problem with their officials just pointing, but even if you're working college ball, you should make sure that is an approved mechanic in your conference(s).

Jake
Old Fri Jan 04, 2002, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Spaman_29
OH I love a little controversy. I couldn't wait to get to work to see what ruckus was going to come out of the woodworks. It sure does get people to respond who don't normally open their mouth. Keep it up, plus I really don't have that big of an ego I just like to stir the pot and see what comes up.
Old Fri Jan 04, 2002, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

BOBBYMO

Quote:
Originally posted by BOBBYMO
32 years old 11 years officiating High school and college. {I have my 1st d-2 game tonight!!}
ATTA BOY!!! Let us know how it went!
Old Fri Jan 04, 2002, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

1. 38
2. 2yrs (And a-heck-of-a-lot-a Rec ball. Can I get extra credit?)
3. Just had my first couple of HS varsity assignments. What a blast!

Mike

[Edited by Mike Burns on Jan 4th, 2002 at 02:01 PM]
Old Fri Jan 04, 2002, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

age and experience

Age 62
Experience 4yr
A few varsity games but mostly JV boys and girls
A great way to stay in shape and have fun
Old Fri Jan 04, 2002, 02:56pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up Re: age and experience

Quote:
Originally posted by thomasanderson
Age 62
Experience 4yr

Good job!
Old Fri Jan 04, 2002, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Probably should be a new thread, but. . .

Quote:
Originally posted by 112448 BTW - not stopping the clock is NOT AN APPROVED mechanic in the CCA manual. According to the CCA manual, officials are still to stop the clock, then point.
Sorry, Jake, but that's not correct. I have my 2002 NCAA rule/interpretation book in front of me. In the back section, where all the signals are shown, it lists all the signals for violations. It shows the official stopping the clock and then a "+" and then the signal for traveling, palming, etc.

However, there is an asterisk at the bottom of the "violations" box that says: "There is no stop clock signal before an out-of-bounds violation".

Seems pretty clear that not stopping the clock is an approved mechanic for NCAA, both men's and women's.

Am I misreading it?

Chuck
Old Fri Jan 04, 2002, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

age and experience

Age 62
Experience 4yr
Old Fri Jan 04, 2002, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: Probably should be a new thread, but. . .

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
However, there is an asterisk at the bottom of the "violations" box that says: "There is no stop clock signal before an out-of-bounds violation".

Seems pretty clear that not stopping the clock is an approved mechanic for NCAA, both men's and women's.
Well, I re-read Jake's post and realized that he specifically mentioned the CCA manual. So after I typed my last post, I went and got my manual. It specifically says that the official is supposed to stop the clock on OOB calls (chart, page 47). And then in the back, where it shows all the signals, it does not have the same note that I mentioned from the rulebook.

So maybe I don't owe Jake an apology, exactly, but I'm not as obviously right as I thought I was.

What's everybody else's take on this? I know that I don't stop the clock in my college games, but this is only my first year of varsity.

Chuck
Old Fri Jan 04, 2002, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

experience

1. 20
2. 5th year
3. varsity

To you young guys (-25) that are doing college, where do you live, and how have you climbed the ladder so quickly. In southern California, it takes a lot of time to start doing college ball.
Old Fri Jan 04, 2002, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Probably should be a new thread, but. . .

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:

Well, I re-read Jake's post and realized that he specifically mentioned the CCA manual. So after I typed my last post, I went and got my manual. It specifically says that the official is supposed to stop the clock on OOB calls (chart, page 47). And then in the back, where it shows all the signals, it does not have the same note that I mentioned from the rulebook.

So maybe I don't owe Jake an apology, exactly, but I'm not as obviously right as I thought I was.

What's everybody else's take on this? I know that I don't stop the clock in my college games, but this is only my first year of varsity.

Chuck
Chuck -

I just got back from lunch and read both your posts. You sure are right that on BR-145 of the 2002 NCAA Rules book it says "*There is no stop clock signal before an out-of-bounds violation." I guess that emphasizes the point of my original post, which is,

make sure you understand your supervisors expectations. If the Collegiate Commissioners Association manual which,

"...has been adopted by the NCAA Men's Basketball rules committees as the official basketball officials manual for collegiate officiating," says one thing and the NCAA rules book says something that is condratictory (sp?) then an official should find out what his/her supervisor wants.

Please note too, that the CCA Manual to which I was refering is the Men's 3-person manual. I'm not sure if the women's side uses the CCA Manual or if there is a similar book for NCAA women's mechanics. So in all fairness, I should have stated that in my original post.

Thanks Chuck!

Jake