The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 22, 2007, 11:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Chicago team

Today I worked at a tournament here in Oregon with a team from "the Chicago area" from Neuqua Valley HS. Any of y'all know of them?
Old Sat Jun 23, 2007, 03:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to brandan89 Send a message via Yahoo to brandan89
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Today I worked at a tournament here in Oregon with a team from "the Chicago area" from Neuqua Valley HS. Any of y'all know of them?
Were they any good? Just wondering what made you ask??
Old Sat Jun 23, 2007, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Nequa Valley HS

Neuqua Valley HS is in the Chicago far west suburb of Naperville, with enrollment from Aurora, Naperville, and Bolingbrook, Illinois. It opened in fall 1997, and has an enrollment of just over 4,200 students.

They are in the Upstate Eight Athletic Conference. Their [boys] basketball record has been better than average over the last several years.

Why do you ask about Neuqua Valley HS?

Last edited by golfdesigner; Sat Jun 30, 2007 at 09:47am.
Old Sat Jun 23, 2007, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandan89
Were they any good? Just wondering what made you ask??
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfdesigner
Why do you ask about Nequa Valley HS?
Because she worked them in a summer camp and was curious if anyone was familiar with them. In fact, I think she already told you guys that. Geesh!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Jun 23, 2007, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to brandan89 Send a message via Yahoo to brandan89
Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
Because she worked them in a summer camp and was curious if anyone was familiar with them. In fact, I think she already told you guys that. Geesh!
I know. Geesh! Haha. I was just seeing if any thing interesting happened in the game for them to stick in her mind and make her ask about them.
Old Sat Jun 23, 2007, 08:28pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Yes. The team is from Naperville which is right around the corner from where I live.

Peace
Old Sat Jun 23, 2007, 10:16pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Yes. The team is from Naperville which is right around the corner from where I live.

Peace
Rut - you must live right around the corner from where I used to live. Although I grew up in Chicago Heights, I lived in Aurora for about a year before I moved to Vegas, then Portland. That was long before that school was built, however.
Old Sun Jun 24, 2007, 07:19am
Official Forum Member

I asked because I had them once on Friday, and now I had them again on Saturday. I just wondered how they usually do, and if you know how they're expected to do in the upcoming season. I had girls, btw. I thought it might give me a chance to compare the style and level of play from our area to Chicago. I've contended here on this board that we have a pretty high level here, and I'm just curious how we stack up against this team in terms of capability and skill.
Old Sun Jun 24, 2007, 05:16pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
I thought it might give me a chance to compare the style and level of play from our area to Chicago.
Juulie - I'm certainly qualified to fill you in on comparing the style of play between Portland and Chicago, having lived in both places for over 20 years.

Oh wait - you're talking about basketball. Never mind.
Old Sun Jun 24, 2007, 10:12pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I asked because I had them once on Friday, and now I had them again on Saturday. I just wondered how they usually do, and if you know how they're expected to do in the upcoming season. I had girls, btw. I thought it might give me a chance to compare the style and level of play from our area to Chicago. I've contended here on this board that we have a pretty high level here, and I'm just curious how we stack up against this team in terms of capability and skill.
The style of play of Nequa Valley is not going to be a good comparison of overall style. Nequa Valley is not even one of the better teams if I remember. After all this is just one team.

Peace
Old Mon Jun 25, 2007, 12:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
The style of play of Nequa Valley is not going to be a good comparison of overall style. Nequa Valley is not even one of the better teams if I remember. After all this is just one team.

Peace
I ended up having them three times this weekend! They are almost great. I'd say about a half-inch away. Every shot is off by about a half-inch, every block would be clean if it were another half-inch away. About a half-inch from getting the rebound, and so on.

They've got one player who really needs to knuckle under and work on the fundamentals, but she's clearly got a lot of talent. Unfortunately, she's also got an attitude, and I don't think it's gonna get her where she wants to go.

If they could play at their best consistently, they'd be right up there near the top, but they just need to get the very large and ugly wrinkles ironed out.

It was really fun to see them, and get a chance to think about y'all folks. If their coach asks if you know me, which I told him to, be sure to tell him I said hi.
Old Mon Jun 25, 2007, 11:02am
Ch1town

Quote:
I thought it might give me a chance to compare the style and level of play from our area to Chicago. I've contended here on this board that we have a pretty high level here, and I'm just curious how we stack up against this team in terms of capability and skill.
Umm No, not at all...

We meaning officials?
Old Mon Jun 25, 2007, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

The Nequa Valley team wasn't that good - they ended up in the "4-game guarantee" bracket, so they must have lost all their games. I know they had at least 2 teams in the Varsity brackets - one was a JV team that got absolutely creamed in every game they played. I don't see how that is a good experience for a team to travel 1000 miles to get the crap beat out of them.
Old Mon Jun 25, 2007, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
The Nequa Valley team wasn't that good - they ended up in the "4-game guarantee" bracket, so they must have lost all their games. I know they had at least 2 teams in the Varsity brackets - one was a JV team that got absolutely creamed in every game they played. I don't see how that is a good experience for a team to travel 1000 miles to get the crap beat out of them.
The team I reffed was in the JV bracket but they didn't get creamed in every game they played. They only lost the first by about 15, they won the second, won their third, and then lost in the consolation round (CREAMED!! in that round!). I agree that's not a very good reason to travel that far (more like 2000 miles). I certainly wouldn't have.

But I thought they were well on their way toward doing very well. If they can get some basics a little more established, I think they could develop into a very good varsity team.

Also, do they spell their school name "N-E-Q-U-A" or "N-E-U-Q-U-A"? I thought I saw a t-shirt with that extra U in the name, and I'm rather partial to extra U's.
Old Mon Jun 25, 2007, 03:44pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
The team I reffed was in the JV bracket but they didn't get creamed in every game they played. They only lost the first by about 15, they won the second, won their third, and then lost in the consolation round (CREAMED!! in that round!). I agree that's not a very good reason to travel that far (more like 2000 miles). I certainly wouldn't have.

But I thought they were well on their way toward doing very well. If they can get some basics a little more established, I think they could develop into a very good varsity team.

Also, do they spell their school name "N-E-Q-U-A" or "N-E-U-Q-U-A"? I thought I saw a t-shirt with that extra U in the name, and I'm rather partial to extra U's.
Neuqua is the proper spelling. It is pronounce "NEEQUWA" and is often spelled incorrectly as a result.

Peace