The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 25, 2007, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

That explains it, Juulie. I didn't get their JV bracket team. I did have both their natural Varsity team and the JV team they put in the Varsity bracket. That was the team that got crushed every game.

The last game of the tourney for me yesterday - my 12th game of the weekend - I get the Neuqua Valley Varsity team in a game that went into triple OT, therefore sudden death. They manage to get the tip, but the girl caught the ball about an inch on her frontcourt side, then her momentum couldn't keep her from stepping into the backcourt. The other team scored on that next possession. Tough way to lose.
Old Mon Jun 25, 2007, 04:40pm
Ch1town

So you called a backcourt violation on a jump ball & went the other way for ballgame?
Old Mon Jun 25, 2007, 04:46pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town
So you called a backcourt violation on a jump ball & went the other way for ballgame?
Ask yourself this - when did the jump ball end and team control begin?
Old Mon Jun 25, 2007, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It's called letting the kids decide the game.
Old Mon Jun 25, 2007, 05:00pm
Ch1town

Mark - I wasn't questioning the officials judgement or rules knowledge, just wanted to be clear as to what the call was & how they lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
It's called letting the kids decide the game.
I don't follow...
Old Mon Jun 25, 2007, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

Here's what happened. I tossed the jump for the overtime. Jumper taps the ball behind me toward Gold team's frontcourt. Gold player catches the ball - I turn and see her catch it, looking down at her feet. She had jumped to catch the ball, came down with both feet clearly in her frontcourt. Then her momentum caused one of her feet to step into the backcourt. There was no question it was a violation. An unfortunate one, but still a violation. Because of the tourney rules, this 3rd OT was sudden death, meaning first team to score wins. It just so happened that the other team ended up getting fouled on their next possession and sunk a free throw to win it. Wasn't a very dramatic ending, but that's what happened. I had nothing to do with who won the game.
Old Mon Jun 25, 2007, 05:31pm
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
I had nothing to do with who won the game.
Of course not, do we ever?

Thanks for the clarification. So any score wins the ballgame then... I recently had a sudden death game where a deuce/trey wins but not a single point unless it was 1 free throw on two different occasions.
Old Mon Jun 25, 2007, 06:36pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Of course not, do we ever?
Thanks for the clarification. So any score wins the ballgame then... I recently had a sudden death game where a deuce/trey wins but not a single point unless it was 1 free throw on two different occasions.
Years ago, our local kids rec league played overtimes in this way. First team to score 5 points in the OT won. This meant, for the most part, a team had to score on at least two possessions to win. We felt that gave each team a pretty fair opportunity. Due to compressed gym time, we only had time for a short OT and never time for more than one OT per game.

They've changed it now to a single 2 min OT and if the game ends in a tie after that, so be it. I like the old way better.