The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 09, 2004, 05:51pm
Official Forum Member

Hi anyone work out of Chicago, either High School or College, summer or all of the above?

I'm moving to Chicago here in July, I'll be living in the north part of the city and looking to get hooked up with an association, thanks for any help!
Old Wed Jun 09, 2004, 09:56pm
Official Forum Member

Don't know if this will work for you, but check this out.

http://www.fvbumpire.com/
Old Wed Jun 09, 2004, 10:14pm
Do not give a damn!!

Some links.

This is the link to most of the main assignors in the area.

http://www.iacao.org/area_assignments.htm

This is the link to all the associations in the area.

http://www.iacao.org/iacao%20members.htm

If I were you, I would contact the associations first and go from there.

You do not have to join an association to work games in baseball, but it is a great place to make contacts and to learn more about the system in our area.

Peace
Old Thu Jun 10, 2004, 01:05pm

Talking umps.org is the answer

Welcome to the Second City!

Where will you working? That'll make it easier to grab a game during the week, if you want.
Go to umps.org if you are interested in working competitve high school baseball.

We offer a great training program, support and work the best games in the area. The baseball assigning area is split, so you'll want to contact Kurt Pingel for the northside. His phone is listed on the site.

Good luck and we hope to see you soon.

Old Fri Jun 11, 2004, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Thanks, Yeah I'll be in Rogers Park, right close to Evanston. I'll be coming in the end of July so I may not get many games this year, I dunno, but next year I'm looking forward to getting into the swing fo things with a new group.
Old Wed Jun 16, 2004, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

check out the link LDUB posted about FVB. FVB (Fox Valley Blues) is probably your best bet as far as joining an association. we have a massive amount of territory and everything from LL to College level all around the chicago area. theres TONS of games up north, more in the suburbs than where you are, but you are still north of the city.

the site will tell you everything you want to know, just contact jeff (email is on the site) and he will get you setup.
Old Wed Jun 16, 2004, 02:54pm

Don't settle for second best

If you live in Rogers Park, you will not want to drive 30 miles each way for a game. If you look at the umps.org home page, you'll see why you don't want to choose a lesser group.
You'll get the BEST games and plenty of them. In fact, this year's AA champ is one of our schools. Kurt Pingel has been doing our assigning for 27 years. He knows how to make sure that you work the games you want and gives you the exposure you need to get playoff assignments. Year after year, we prove it - no one gets more officials assigned to the IHSA playoffs. YOU'RE NEXT!
Old Wed Jun 16, 2004, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

FVB..UMPS...FVB....UMPS

its just going to go back and forth between members of each group, so just go check both sites and see which you like better. each group has their advantages (FVB has bigger territory, UMPS apparently gets people into the IHSA playoffs)
Old Wed Jun 16, 2004, 05:13pm

Talking Not really, the answer is obvious

its just going to go back and forth between members of each group, so just go check both sites and see which you like better.

Yes, the way to judge a group is web graphics, not experience, reputation and commitment.

each group has their advantages (FVB has bigger territory,
Read: You'll be in your car longer.

UMPS apparently gets people into the IHSA playoffs)
Read: Must be doing something right. More people get the exposure rather than a select few. Oh, Kurt doesn't work anymore, so he doesn't have to cherry pick the prime assignments.

It comes down to whether or not you want to receive credit for busting your *** on the field. You spend a lot of time getting better, a lot of money buying gear and a lot of sweat on the field...don't you want an organization that will promote you to the people that matter? Why shouldn't it be you that gets the good games?
Old Wed Jun 16, 2004, 08:04pm
Do not give a damn!!

You can get into the playoffs regardless of what organization you belong to. You playoff position is based on your individual ratings and individual rankings. If you are not a Certified Umpire with high ratings, you are not doing a State Final just because you are an UMPS or FVB member. Name one umpire or official that has worked a Super-Sectional by not being Certified (scheduled originally now). The problem is that no one can. All joining a group is going to do for you is determine where you work some of your games. There are some umpires that belong to both organizations.

Baseball is no different than other sports, no matter how much people would like to convince everyone here of that crap. I belong to by far one of the best football organizations, not only in the state but in the country. Our officials are successful in that organization because they are trained well and handle themselves on the field. And we have guys that are not very good in our organization (just like any organization) and those guys do not get the opportunities, because they do not put in the work or are not respected by the coaches and fellow officials. Because if the coaches and officials do not respect you, the IHSA office is not going to assign you a playoff game. And it is the IHSA office and the individuals that make these decisions.

Peace
Old Thu Jun 17, 2004, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

Re: Not really, the answer is obvious

Quote:
Originally posted by WindyCityBlue
its just going to go back and forth between members of each group, so just go check both sites and see which you like better.

Yes, the way to judge a group is web graphics, not experience, reputation and commitment.

each group has their advantages (FVB has bigger territory,
Read: You'll be in your car longer.

UMPS apparently gets people into the IHSA playoffs)
Read: Must be doing something right. More people get the exposure rather than a select few. Oh, Kurt doesn't work anymore, so he doesn't have to cherry pick the prime assignments.

It comes down to whether or not you want to receive credit for busting your *** on the field. You spend a lot of time getting better, a lot of money buying gear and a lot of sweat on the field...don't you want an organization that will promote you to the people that matter? Why shouldn't it be you that gets the good games?
did you even read the FVB website? im guessing you just checked out the first page and didnt read anything. there are 11 members who have in the last few years, or are currently, working professional baseball. your "must be doing something right" quote applies here.

JRutledge is right on the playoffs thing. anyone can get in.

read the info and decide for yourself. read being a key word.
Old Thu Jun 17, 2004, 09:40am

Wow, eleven guys?!?

I am actually one of the UMPS members who currently works Minor League baseball. We have had three that actually worked Major League Baseball, in addition to the several dozen who have worked in the Minors.

I could have sworn that Brian was looking for High School and maybe a little college baseball when he moved to the Rogers Park area. How many FVB members do you have that live and work in the City? besides being prudent about spending all day in a car to make $52, I thought that he might like working with a group that has a proven track record.

I did read the FVB site, entirely. (They should change their password, since one of my friends let's me use his.)
While your talent will get you playoff assignments, if you are working crap ball in the sticks, you won't get seen as easily. Jeff received his first baseball playoff game this year with the IHSA. So did, 18 Registered and 22 recognized officials throughout the state. By the way, when was the last time that an umpire was assigned beyong the Sectionals, that was independent and lived in the Chicago area?

The purpose of an organization like UMPS is to train you, support you and promote you. Our membership excels year after year because we push each other. Remember, four of the six umpires for the state AA final are ours (including the Plate!). Oh, the Umpire in Chief for the series was ours, as well. Seven of the IHSA Certfied Clinicians are UMPS members - and not one of them is a member of FVB, as well.

I offered Brian the chance to make himself a better umpire and work games that will make a difference. If he takes us up on the offer, he will be welcomed.
Old Thu Jun 17, 2004, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

do you work in sales?

to the guy that started the thread, both are good groups, choose whats best for you.
Old Thu Jun 17, 2004, 10:34am

Cool, I got a freshman game in Crystal Lake

GregR072 -
Brian's right. Check out both groups.
No one group is for everybody.

Besides, you make like driving a long way for underlevel games.
Old Thu Jun 17, 2004, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GregR072
Hi anyone work out of Chicago, either High School or College, summer or all of the above?

I'm moving to Chicago here in July, I'll be living in the north part of the city and looking to get hooked up with an association, thanks for any help!
Email Bob Jenkins, one of the moderators, privately and I'm sure he'll give you the information you need without putting a spin on it.