The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 11, 2007, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

double dribble

this became a point of controversey in a game I watched this week end.

A1 passes to A2 (this is a bullet) A2 sticks out a hand and the ball hits it and goes to the floor then A2 picks it up with two hands and begins to dribble.

coach goes nuts and calls for "Double Dribble" then one official blows the whistle and makes the call across the floor. They get together and talk about it and decide it isn't an "illegal Dribble" although they both use the term "Double Dribble".

Lets ignore the way the call was handled first - and comment on the Rule - I have seen officials call this both ways - I do not call it an Illegal dribble as I do not consider it to be a bat to begin a dribble but I would like to see other opinions on this.

Then you can bash the rookies for their handling of the call.

Last edited by OHBBREF; Mon Jun 11, 2007 at 08:38am.
Old Mon Jun 11, 2007, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHBBREF
this became a point of controversey in a game I watched this week end.

A1 passes to A2 (this is a bullet) A2 sticks out a hand and the ball hits it and goes to the floor then A2 picks it up with two hands and begins to dribble.

coach goes nuts and calls for "Double Dribble" then one official blows the whistle and makes the call across the floor. They get together and talk about it and decide it isn't an "illegal Dribble" although they both use the term "Double Dribble".

Lets ignore the way the call was handled first - and comment on the Rule - I have seen officials call this both ways - I do not call it an Illegal dribble as I do not consider it to be a bat to begin a dribble but I would like to see other opinions on this.

Then you can bash the rookies for their handling of the call.
It's the official's judgment as to whether A2 "muffed" the pass (in which case s/he can recover the ball and dribble) or directed the pass to the ground to start a dribble (in which case the dribble ends when A2 touches the ball with both hands).
Old Mon Jun 11, 2007, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHBBREF
I do not call it an Illegal dribble as I do not consider it to be a bat to begin a dribble but I would like to see other opinions on this.
Definately a HTBT but, from your description, it sounds like A2 did not have control and the subsequent dribble is legal.
Old Mon Jun 11, 2007, 01:06pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I hope the official who made this long distance call got an earful after the game from the one who was there and passed on it.
Old Mon Jun 11, 2007, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
I hope the official who made this long distance call got an earful after the game from the one who was there and passed on it.
one of the observers asked the official who passed on it - If he was sure that he had not missed anything in his partners primary!!!!