The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 01, 2001, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Had a game last night and this situation came up let me know if my reasoning and call were correct. A1 has the ball and ends his dribble. He is closely guarded by B1 and B2, as he pivots and turns to avoid the pressure of the double team he loses his balance slightly and he reaches to the floor with the ball in hand. The ball touches the floor but on the way down it appears to me he lost control of the ball and regains control as the ball touches the floor. He held the pivot foot in place, never dribbled again and it seemed to me that no advantage was gained. He did straighten back up and pass the ball to a teammate but the coach and some of the fans thought it should have been a double dribble. Was it? Or was my thinking in line with the book? Can the ball be touched to the floor after the dribble has ended or did losing control really change anything in the play?
Old Thu Feb 01, 2001, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

I think the book says touching the floor with the ball is not a dribble, so it sounds like a good call.
Old Thu Feb 01, 2001, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

4-15-4 note 3 says it's not a dribble to hold the ball and touch the floor.
Old Thu Feb 01, 2001, 02:08pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by co2ice
Had a game last night and this situation came up let me know if my reasoning and call were correct. A1 has the ball and ends his dribble. He is closely guarded by B1 and B2, as he pivots and turns to avoid the pressure of the double team he loses his balance slightly and he reaches to the floor with the ball in hand. The ball touches the floor but on the way down it appears to me he lost control of the ball and regains control as the ball touches the floor. He held the pivot foot in place, never dribbled again and it seemed to me that no advantage was gained. He did straighten back up and pass the ball to a teammate but the coach and some of the fans thought it should have been a double dribble. Was it? Or was my thinking in line with the book? Can the ball be touched to the floor after the dribble has ended or did losing control really change anything in the play?

co2ice,
Sounds like a fumble and a good call.
mick