The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 11, 2007, 01:38pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
I'm going into the Jon Deibler Govoning Rehab Facility to help with my problem.
Not to be critical(nope, not me, never, nuh-huh...) but shouldn't that be for help?

Btw, I really do hope that your treatment takes this time.
Old Mon Jun 11, 2007, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Not to be critical
then why not keep your piehole shut?
Quote:
(nope, not me, never, nuh-huh...)
never mind
Quote:
but shouldn't that be for help?
Not really. Deibler house specializes in helping others to maximize their govoning potential, not eliminating it.

Old Mon Jun 11, 2007, 01:56pm
Do not give a damn!!

The purpose of my posts was not to get into an IAABO vs. NF debate. The NF clearly in my opinion does not talk in detail about many things. Even if the NF wants everyone to do something, they have clearly not done that in my opinion. This is why I can go to 5 different HS camps and get 5 different points of view. In many cases we just default to the CCA Mechanic book when we cannot agree on a specific philosophy. Or many read what Referee Magazine has put out to cover things like transition coverage and plays in the lane. Once again this is just an opinion and I was only taking on your assertion that the NF creates mechanics that everyone should follow.

Peace
Old Mon Jun 11, 2007, 02:02pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Not really. Deibler house specializes in helping others to maximize their govoning potential, not eliminating it.

Oh, OK. I thought that it might have been similar to that little problem that you had before, exposing yourself down at the mall. My mistake.

Nevermind.....
Old Mon Jun 11, 2007, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Oh, OK. I thought that it might have been similar to that little problem that you had before, exposing yourself down at the mall. My mistake.

Nevermind.....
Yeah, that made the headlines but during the trial it was proven to be a case of mistaken identity. That got buried somewhere between the comics and the obituaries. Anyways...

Someone left a fire hose unrolled, you can understand how I got mistakenly involved.
Old Mon Jun 11, 2007, 02:28pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Once again this is just an opinion and I was only taking on your assertion that the NF creates mechanics that everyone should follow.
Actually, that only comment that I wrote so far in this thread was that the FED's goal was to have a country-wide consistent set of mechanics. Apparently, if I'm reading the responses to-date correctly in this thread, both the FED and IAABO use the same mechanics. However, you are claiming that IAABO does a better job of teaching those mechanics, as well as having more/better training materials. All I'm trying to do is find out is exactly HOW IAABO is doing the better job that you claim they are doing and what those better training materials are.

I like to think that I have an open mind. If IAABO is doing something better in the training end that the FED is currently doing, as you claim, then I'm certainly not against looking at and evaluating what they're doing. The problem is that no one to date in this thread has been able to tell me exactly what IAABO is doing better or how they are doing their training better, other than a computer program that Skippy mentioned.
Old Mon Jun 11, 2007, 03:03pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Someone left a fire hose unrolled, you can understand how I got mistakenly involved.
You mean the one from their Barbie doll house?
Old Mon Jun 11, 2007, 03:07pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
no one to date in this thread has been able to tell me exactly what IAABO is doing better or how they are doing their training better, other than a computer program that Skippy mentioned.
The IAABO manual is illustrated using that computer program. That's about as detailed as I can get without actually showing you the manual. Send me a private message with your address and I'll mail one out to you.
Old Mon Jun 11, 2007, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Old Mon Jun 11, 2007, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I like to think that I have an open mind. If IAABO is doing something better in the training end that the FED is currently doing, as you claim, then I'm certainly not against looking at and evaluating what they're doing. The problem is that no one to date in this thread has been able to tell me exactly what IAABO is doing better or how they are doing their training better, other than a computer program that Skippy mentioned.
Better is subjective. The IAABO manual is in full color, with clear, easy-to-see diagrams of court coverage, primary areas, foul reporting, etc. The graphics come from ecourt, which is a DVD software tool that IAABO sells. The organization and typography is clearer and easier to read.

These are subjective judgments. I find it easier to read, easier to find a point, easier to review, easier to use to teach others. I don't think that the specific points covered are different .. although I find that the wording is simpler in the IAABO book. It uses bullet lists while the Fed uses paragraphs and lists.

Bottom line is that these are books -- not video tapes or live training. Anyone who learns mechanics only from a book is not going to be a very good official.
Old Mon Jun 11, 2007, 03:33pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Ooooooo.......

You've seen those nude pictures of Dan that are out on the net, I take it.
Old Mon Jun 11, 2007, 03:37pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
The IAABO manual is illustrated using that computer program. That's about as detailed as I can get without actually showing you the manual. Send me a private message with your address and I'll mail one out to you.
You are a gentleman, a scholar, and a connoisseur of fine art. I'll certainly take you up on your generous offer.

As I said before, I ain't proud. anything that I can steal and use that's helpful......
Old Mon Jun 11, 2007, 04:42pm
Do not give a damn!!

JR,

I do not see you as really looking for the best material to train officials, if that was the case you would be talking more than what IAABO does compared to the NF. As a matter of fact you would not even be talking about the NF at all.

As stated before your assertion of what is the best or better is very subjective. After all we are talking about a book or manual. I did not learn how to officiate from a manual no more than I used how to use a computer. I would hope you could teach some concepts that are far beyond the book.

Peace
Old Mon Jun 11, 2007, 05:17pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
JR,

I do not see you as really looking for the best material to train officials, if that was the case you would be talking more than what IAABO does compared to the NF. As a matter of fact you would not even be talking about the NF at all.

As stated before your assertion of what is the best or better is very subjective. After all we are talking about a book or manual.
I realize that whatever is best or better is subjective. Unfortunately, I've also never stated in this thread which way of teaching mechanics is better or best. That's because I don't know. All I said was that the FED has a goal of having a country-wide set of standard mechanics. Apparently, IAABO has the same goal. Also apparently, the mechanics taught by both the FED and IAABO are also the same. At no time did I ever get into who I thought taught those country-wide mechanics mechanics better--IAABO or the FED. That would be you.

I'm simply trying to find out your subjective reasons for saying that IAABO generally teaches mechanics better than the FED. After that, I can try to make up my own mind. It's kinda tough to make a decision when you don't have any of the necessary data available. It then becomes a pure guess.

How can I talk about what IAABO does when I'm trying to find out what IAABO does? I don't have a clue what IAABO does. You're the one that must know what IAABO does because you stated that they did a much better job of teaching mechanics than the NF does. I simply asked you how and why IAABO was doing a better teaching job. What exactly is IAABO doing that is better? I'm still waiting for an answer. It's kinda tough for me to agree or disagree with you when you don't give any reasons out for your conclusion.

Soooooo......what exactly does IAABO do better then the NF when it comes to teaching mechanics?
Old Mon Jun 11, 2007, 05:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Soooooo......what exactly does IAABO do better then the NF when it comes to teaching mechanics?
I tried to answer your question earlier. See Post No. 40. (Quick summary: the IAABO manual has much better graphics in full color, is better written and its typography and design make it easier to read.)

If I could figure out how to post an image, I would show you a specific example from the IAABO manual and the Fed manual.