The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 03, 2007, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
Juulie, read what he wrote again and read it with a player's mind. He told us pretty much everything....just not in technical terms.

I don't claim to have ESP but we, on this board, often expect questions worded in near perfect rulebook jargon. We jump all over non-officials with reasonable, legit questions when they're phrased in laymans terms...even when it's not that hard to figure out what they're really asking. Some call them fanboys (some of them are but not all). Some belittle them. I wouldn't hurt to be a bit more tolerant and not slam the guy for not fitting the casebook question format.
Camron -- I wasn't calling him a fanboy, and I wasn't belittling him. Actually, I was trying to give him the serious attention that is due to someone who asks an honest question and expects a well-thought out answer. I was trying to poke you in the ribs a little, but that apparently fell flat, just like a lot of my other jibes that day.

I really wasn't sure what happened, and I really couldn't read into his description what had happened. That call depends entirely on who had legal guarding position, or other legal position on the floor, and I just couldn't tell. SO I was trying to elicit more details to give him a good answer.
Old Sun Jun 03, 2007, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Agree, that neither rainmaker nor JRutledge was slamming/belittleing this particular guy but it does happen all to often here....and it was beginning to look like it was going that direction.
Old Mon Jun 04, 2007, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme panda
I understand I cant describe the situation as detailed as you guys want.

This was only a pick-up game and usually a lot of rules aren't obeyed except the simple ones. Illegal screens aren't usually called and this was the first time I've seen it called.

I was just wanted to clarify if the person who called the illegal screen actually had an argument, since I thought it couldn't be called in the paint.

I didn't know this forum actually had REAL refs on it. I just googled basketball forum and wanted other's people opinion on this. Thank you for your time.
Some of us are, anyhow. Then there's .... oh, forget it.
Old Mon Jun 04, 2007, 10:17am
Lighten up, Francis.

Is there moving screen in the paint?

Someone with a good memory is going to have to help me out. But I'm pretty sure I remember an NCAA tournament game (might've been a conference tournament) a few years ago that had a somewhat controversial call regarding a screen in the paint. Here's the description, as well as I can remember it.

There was a 2-on-1 fast break. A1 was dribbling down the middle of the court to the basket. A2 and B2 were slightly ahead of and to the left of A1, with A2 between A1 and B2. As A1 got near the basket, A2 subtly extended his left arm and held B2 so that B2 could not make a play on A1. The Lead official called the holding foul and there was a lot of consternation. . . until they showed the replay. And sure enough, you could see A2 holding B2 away from the play.

Anybody remember that game?
Old Mon Jun 04, 2007, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Do you mean the NCAA Tournament game where there was a 2-on-1 fast break, A1 was dribbling down the middle of the court to the basket, A2 and B2 were slightly ahead of and to the left of A1, with A2 between A1 and B2, and as A1 got near the basket, A2 subtly extended his left arm and held B2 so that B2 could not make a play on A1?

No, I don't remember it!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Jun 04, 2007, 11:24am
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1

Yeah - it was Solid State vs. Whassamatta U. Solid State finally won in the fifth chukker when Whassamattu U. surrendered its queen.

Meds - meds - my kingdom for some meds.
Old Mon Jun 04, 2007, 11:45am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
No, I don't remember it!
I need a smiley that's giving the finger!!
Old Mon Jun 04, 2007, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
Do you mean the NCAA Tournament game where there was a 2-on-1 fast break, A1 was dribbling down the middle of the court to the basket, A2 and B2 were slightly ahead of and to the left of A1, with A2 between A1 and B2, and as A1 got near the basket, A2 subtly extended his left arm and held B2 so that B2 could not make a play on A1?

No, I don't remember it!
Maybe this will help...it was the NCAA Tournament game where there was a 2-on-1 fast break, A1 was dribbling down the middle of the court to the basket, A2 and B2 were slightly ahead of and to the left of A1, with A2 between A1 and B2, and as A1 got near the basket, A2 subtly extended his left arm and held B2 so that B2 could not make a play on A1?
Old Mon Jun 04, 2007, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Maybe this will help...it was the NCAA Tournament game where there was a 2-on-1 fast break, A1 was dribbling down the middle of the court to the basket, A2 and B2 were slightly ahead of and to the left of A1, with A2 between A1 and B2, and as A1 got near the basket, A2 subtly extended his left arm and held B2 so that B2 could not make a play on A1?
clever response!
Old Mon Jun 04, 2007, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
clever response!
Old Mon Jun 04, 2007, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Do you mean the one played with two teams and a spherical, brownish-orange ball, where one of the teams scored more points than the other?
Old Mon Jun 04, 2007, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
Do you mean the one played with two teams and a spherical, brownish-orange ball, where one of the teams scored more points than the other?

That's the one!

You saw it too?

As I recall it was played in March.
Old Mon Jun 04, 2007, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That's the one!

You saw it too?

As I recall it was played in March.
You have a better memory than I. I knew it was after February and before April, but I couldn't remember the exact month.
Old Mon Jun 04, 2007, 02:26pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Old Mon Jun 04, 2007, 08:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Is there moving screen in the paint?

Someone with a good memory is going to have to help me out. But I'm pretty sure I remember an NCAA tournament game (might've been a conference tournament) a few years ago that had a somewhat controversial call regarding a screen in the paint. Here's the description, as well as I can remember it.

There was a 2-on-1 fast break. A1 was dribbling down the middle of the court to the basket. A2 and B2 were slightly ahead of and to the left of A1, with A2 between A1 and B2. As A1 got near the basket, A2 subtly extended his left arm and held B2 so that B2 could not make a play on A1. The Lead official called the holding foul and there was a lot of consternation. . . until they showed the replay. And sure enough, you could see A2 holding B2 away from the play.

See, Scrapper - you confused the hell out of everybody. A2 and B2 were to the RIGHT of A1 and A2 extended his right foot.