The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Thu May 24, 2007, 12:27pm
Patience is important
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 22
Time Out Mechanics

from NFHS.org

2007-08 MAJOR MECHANICS CHANGES

273; 275; Diagram 29: Crew of Two Only: Change the time-out and intermission positions so that the administering official will stand where play will be resumed and the non-administering official will stand, facing the table, on the division line (on the circle nearest the table for a 30-second time-out or intermission).


Where does the n-a official stand on a full timeout? The wording on this is bad, because it does not indicate the position on the division line for a full timeout. Anyone have a comment on why this was written like this? Do we stand at center court in the middle of the circle? If we are changing the positioning again, why can't we have one spot for both 30 and fulls?

I would have to assume that it will now be the duty of the n-a official standing on the division line to remind both teams of the warning horn.

I love us turning into the traffic cop and the fashion police, instead of being able to focus on the game at hand.
__________________
Make sure everyone is safe and HAS FUN!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Thu May 24, 2007, 12:35pm
Do not give a damn!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: On the border
Posts: 29,588
Keep in mind that no matter what the NF says, your area might choose not to use this or they will clarify what is done where the NF was not clear. My state never followed the NF mechanic on this anyway so I would not be surprised if it is acceptable to use what we always have done.

Peace
__________________
Let us get into "Good Trouble."
-----------------------------------------------------------
Charles Michael “Mick” Chambers (1947-2010)
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Thu May 24, 2007, 01:29pm
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,191
We're an IAABO state, but we were using the NF mechanic. I'm glad we're going back.
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Thu May 24, 2007, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 5,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltllng
Where does the n-a official stand on a full timeout? The wording on this is bad, because it does not indicate the position on the division line for a full timeout. Anyone have a comment on why this was written like this? Do we stand at center court in the middle of the circle? If we are changing the positioning again, why can't we have one spot for both 30 and fulls?
It sounds like this is going back to the old mechanic that was in place a few years back. The n-a official stands on the division line; on the circle furthest away from the table for full TO's, and on the circle closest to the table for 30's. I believe this is just another form of non-verbal communication, in that the position of the n-a official helps communicate the type of TO, no different than in a 3-person crew standing on the blocks or top of the key. The new way also makes it easier to inform both benches after the warning horn, since the official is right at half-court.
__________________
M&M's - The Official Candy of the Department of Redundancy Department.

(Used with permission.)
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Thu May 24, 2007, 01:40pm
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Hell
Posts: 20,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
It sounds like this is going back to the old mechanic that was in place a few years back. The n-a official stands on the division line; on the circle furthest away from the table for full TO's, and on the circle closest to the table for 30's. I believe this is just another form of non-verbal communication, in that the position of the n-a official helps communicate the type of TO, no different than in a 3-person crew standing on the blocks or top of the key. The new way also makes it easier to inform both benches after the warning horn, since the official is right at half-court.
That's exactly what we told our officials at a meeting last night.

You are wise beyond your years. Good luck with that rash on your privates.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Thu May 24, 2007, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 5,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
That's exactly what we told our officials at a meeting last night..
How come I wasn't invited to that meeting? I usually get an e-mail...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
You are wise beyond your years.
I know. But, at some point I'm going to have to retire from being wise. You know, age limits and such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Good luck with that rash on your privates.
I sent the memo to the General about that. We'll see if the funding comes through.
__________________
M&M's - The Official Candy of the Department of Redundancy Department.

(Used with permission.)
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Thu May 24, 2007, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Salem, IL
Posts: 55
I don't think we'll be standing in the center circle for a full time out unless there are no cheerleaders involved in the game. Frankly, I'm more concerned about my own safety at the start of a full time out than where I'm going to stand. A stampede comes to mind.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Thu May 24, 2007, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 5,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by blindmanwalking
I don't think we'll be standing in the center circle for a full time out unless there are no cheerleaders involved in the game. Frankly, I'm more concerned about my own safety at the start of a full time out than where I'm going to stand. A stampede comes to mind.
Standing amongst a stampede of cheerleaders is bad, how?
__________________
M&M's - The Official Candy of the Department of Redundancy Department.

(Used with permission.)
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Thu May 24, 2007, 01:55pm
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Hell
Posts: 20,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
How come I wasn't invited to that meeting? I usually get an e-mail...

You had some games last weekend too until I looked at the Send To again....

I really wish you'd change your last name. Maybe to a nice Indian name like Hunglikehummingbird.......

Yup, Jim Hunglikehummingbird kinda has a nice ring to it, don't you think?
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Thu May 24, 2007, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 5,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
You had some games last weekend too until I looked at the Send To again....

I really wish you'd change your last name. Maybe to a nice Indian name like Hunglikehummingbird.......

Yup, Jim Hunglikehummingbird kinda has a nice ring to it, don't you think?
Oh, yea?

Well, flutter this...
__________________
M&M's - The Official Candy of the Department of Redundancy Department.

(Used with permission.)
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Thu May 24, 2007, 02:04pm
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
I sent the memo to the General about that. We'll see if the funding comes through.
I've heard they'll treat two, but don't have funding for a third. Too bad for Chuck.
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Fri May 25, 2007, 08:57am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltllng
Where does the n-a official stand on a full timeout?
At the Hot Dog stand.
__________________
I couldn't afford a cool signature, so I just got this one.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Long Time Lurker, First Time Poster SoInZebra Basketball 122 Mon Mar 26, 2007 04:10pm
NCAA Mechanics, NFHS Rules/Mechanics InvisibleRef Basketball 4 Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:06am
No Precision Time? HS Mechanics? BktBallRef Basketball 33 Thu Mar 25, 2004 11:51am
Another long time listener, first time caller Fifth And Goal Basketball 11 Wed Feb 25, 2004 10:30am
Time out mechanics PP Basketball 7 Fri Dec 07, 2001 12:35pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:53am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1