The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 24, 2007, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

I ask the coach to speak to the scorekeeper. Once the free throw has been taken, the scorekeeper will then sound the horn, at which point the timeout shall be granted.
Old Thu May 24, 2007, 01:13pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Canuck
I ask the coach to speak to the scorekeeper. Once the free throw has been taken, the scorekeeper will then sound the horn, at which point the timeout shall be granted.
That must be a FIBA expectation. That does not apply to any rules in the US.

Peace
Old Thu May 24, 2007, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
A basic rule of thumb is when a rule does not specifically allow something it is a stretch to assume you can do it. In a situation like this it really is a stretch.
Fair enough. Makes sense.
Old Thu May 24, 2007, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
That must be a FIBA expectation. That does not apply to any rules in the US.

Peace
I know. But right now, FIBA rules are as foreign to me as they are to you. I am posting this so that I might learn them better.
Old Thu May 24, 2007, 01:28pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_Ref12
JR, the rule book gives NO guidelines on the requesting of a timeout. None. Only the granting of a timeout.
Say what?

What's your point? That's exactly what we've been discussing.....whether to grant a TO request or not. They can request a TO during the pre-game warm-up also, but we've also got a rule that says they ain't gonna get that request granted either. Rule 5-8-3 lists the ONLY times that you can grant a TO request. If you grant one at any other time, you've screwed up.
Old Thu May 24, 2007, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
What's your point?
Let me explain again.

The rules do NOT specify when a timeout may be reuqested, only when one may or may not be granted.

Based on that assumption and setting aside JRut's "word to the wise" interpretation for a moment, I'm suggesting that there is nothing in the rule book which indicates that it is illegal or inappropriate for a coach to request a timeout which is granted at a later time.

You said it is incorrect procedure. While I agree with JRut's "word to the wise" interpretation, from a strict constructionist point of view, I can see nothing incorrect about this procedure.
Old Thu May 24, 2007, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Let me explain again.

The rules do NOT specify when a timeout may be reuqested, only when one may or may not be granted.

Based on that assumption and setting aside JRut's "word to the wise" interpretation for a moment, I'm suggesting that there is nothing in the rule book which indicates that it is illegal or inappropriate for a coach to request a timeout which is granted at a later time.

You said it is incorrect procedure. While I agree with JRut's "word to the wise" interpretation, from a strict constructionist point of view, I can see nothing incorrect about this procedure.
All right, let me throw out an obviously far-out example. A coach comes up to you before the game and tells you he wants a TO the first time the other team goes on an 8-0 run.

What do you tell him?

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu May 24, 2007, 02:09pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Let me explain again.

A coach can request a TO any time that he damn-well feels like, even when we're in the shower after the game. There is nothing that is illegal or inappropriate about the request. What IS illegal and inappropriate is if you grant that TO at a later time. That would be completely wrong, by rule.

TO requests can ONLY be GRANTED as per rule 5-8-3. Pre-requests cannot be granted later, by that very specific rule.

Are you saying that the rules will allow you to grant a TO at any time other than when that TO request is made? If so, you are completely wrong.
Old Thu May 24, 2007, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That would be completely wrong, by rule.
Again, in principle I agree with you. However, nothing in that rule backs up what you're asserting.

Only by applying "common sense" do you come to your conclusion, not by application of the wording of the rule. I'm merely pointing out that a) either the rule needs a bit of tightening up in this regard or b) it's not entirely true to suggest that my OP is procedurally incorrect.
Old Thu May 24, 2007, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Are you saying that the rules will allow you to grant a TO at any time other than when that TO request is made? If so, you are completely wrong.
What I am saying (for the third time now) is that the rule DOES NOT specify that the request - and the granting of that request - HAVE to happen simultaneously.

If you can find me verbage within the rule that suggests otherwise, I'd love to see it. But I've looked, and I can't find it.
Old Thu May 24, 2007, 03:35pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Again, in principle I agree with you. However, nothing in that rule backs up what you're asserting.

Only by applying "common sense" do you come to your conclusion, not by application of the wording of the rule. I'm merely pointing out that a) either the rule needs a bit of tightening up in this regard or b) it's not entirely true to suggest that my OP is procedurally incorrect.
What part of the following can't you understand?

NFHS Rule 4-8-3:
Time-out occurs and the clock, if running, shall be stopped when an official GRANTS a player's/head coach's oral or visual request for a time-out, such request being granted ONLY when:
a) The ball is in control of or at the disposal of of a player or his team.
b) The ball is dead, unless replacement of a disqualified, or injured player(s), or a player directed to leave the game is pending, and a substitute(s) is available or required.

It's not "common sense". The rule lays out exactly when you can grant a TO request, and "sometime in the future" isn't part of what's laid out in that rule. The problem isn't with the way the rule is written. The problem is with people not understanding what the rule is saying.
Old Thu May 24, 2007, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What part of the following can't you understand?

NFHS Rule 4-8-3:
Time-out occurs and the clock, if running, shall be stopped when an official GRANTS a player's/head coach's oral or visual request for a time-out, such request being granted ONLY when:
a) The ball is in control of or at the disposal of of a player or his team.
b) The ball is dead, unless replacement of a disqualified, or injured player(s), or a player directed to leave the game is pending, and a substitute(s) is available or required.

It's not "common sense". The rule lays out exactly when you can grant a TO request, and "sometime in the future" isn't part of what's laid out in that rule. The problem isn't with the way the rule is written. The problem is with people not understanding what the rule is saying.
OK...I KNOW it is best if the request and granting of said request happen at about the same time. HOWEVER, Jurassic please highlight the portion of the rule you posted that states the REQUEST can only be made during one of those two cases...rule states it can only be GRANTED during those time.
Old Thu May 24, 2007, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The problem is with people not understanding what the rule is saying.
You included.

Again, the rule lays out when you can grant a TO request.

And that is: a) player or team control or b) dead ball.

It says NOTHING about the interval of time between the request and the granting.

NOTHING.

Old Thu May 24, 2007, 04:01pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryS
OK...I KNOW it is best if the request and granting of said request happen at about the same time. HOWEVER, Jurassic please highlight the portion of the rule you posted that states the REQUEST can only be made during one of those two cases...rule states it can only be GRANTED during those time.
Sigh....

See post #20 that I made at 2.28pm today. In that, I said that it doesn't matter one damn bit WHEN a TO is requested. The rules however state exactly when an official can grant a TO request. The only time that you can grant a legal TO request is at the time that is being requested. That's what 5-8-3 is telling you. If the play stops 3 minutes from now and there is no TO request made, howinthehell can you grant one?

If you and DC want to believe otherwise, hey, then feel free to do so. Of course, you probably should bear in mind that you have absolutely no rules backing to do what you want to do, but don't let something like that stop either of you from doing so.

I'm done repeating myself on this one.
Old Thu May 24, 2007, 04:44pm
Ch1town

Jurassic could you break this down for me one last time j/k