The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 07, 2007, 04:56pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTheRef
This route is not really necessary at this level, but one warning should do.
Agreed. If I catch them on the verge of crossing the line and get a chance, I'll have a calm quiet word with the coach. If they jump right over it, the first warning will come with a whistle and some free throws.
Old Mon May 07, 2007, 06:54pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
the first warning will come with a whistle and some free throws.
And a subsequent throw-in!
Old Tue May 08, 2007, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

I think at that level the coaches who are problems are usually strong personalities that like to control the whole atmosphere, and usually can because they usually deal with young, inexperienced officials who don't know how to handle them. I did a game a year ago at an AAU tourney where the coach thought he was a fan at an NBA game, he got on me for a "high dribble" no call and then on my partner on the next play on the other end and 16 seconds into the game we were shooting FTs for the T I called. When he tried to question the T because he "got no warning," I basically told him to sit down and shut up or he'd be hitting the showers with 31:44 to go. He heeded my advice, his team played well, and he apologized after the game. Point is, you gotta show these coaches you're in control, because a lot of them are used to the ref not having any control of the game, so they try to fill the void.
Old Tue May 08, 2007, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMEngmann
I think at that level the coaches who are problems are usually strong personalities that like to control the whole atmosphere, and usually can because they usually deal with young, inexperienced officials who don't know how to handle them. I did a game a year ago at an AAU tourney where the coach thought he was a fan at an NBA game, he got on me for a "high dribble" no call and then on my partner on the next play on the other end and 16 seconds into the game we were shooting FTs for the T I called. When he tried to question the T because he "got no warning," I basically told him to sit down and shut up or he'd be hitting the showers with 31:44 to go. He heeded my advice, his team played well, and he apologized after the game. Point is, you gotta show these coaches you're in control, because a lot of them are used to the ref not having any control of the game, so they try to fill the void.
Good post. Working weekend tournaments is where I learned how to use the T. I'll never forget one weekend tournament I worked with another forum member. He knew the assignor for the tournament and arranged for 4 of us that knew each other to have our own site (a gym with 2 courts). In the first game of the day, between our two courts we had 7 technicals. The rest of the day, we had none. We sent the message about what was expected for sportsmanship, and that's what we got. We even had some parents come and thank us for taking care of business.
Old Tue May 08, 2007, 07:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junker
In the first game of the day, between our two courts we had 7 technicals. The rest of the day, we had none.
Amazing how setting the tone early actually works!
Old Tue May 08, 2007, 09:29pm
Official Forum Member

Coach VS. Coach

While calling a UI2 game I overheard a head coach telling his assistant that they just had to beat that guy over there. (referring to the opposing coach) I have always remembered what I thought of that guy when I heard that and try to keep that in mind when I am coaching or officiating young kids. Hope that coach treasures his 6" trophy for winning that 11 and 12 yr old YMCA rec league.