The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 17, 2006, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

8th grade girls game, 2-man...It was a very competitive game, well played from both sides and nip and tuck back and forth. The game had an interesting dynamic in that it was a town rec team vs. an AAU team which had players that were from that same town. Therefore all the girls knew each other (which helped) and I think the coach, and the girls, of the town team had something to prove which definitely added to the intensity.

Game flew along no problems until...

:55 left Home team (town team) is up 1. Visitors have the ball. I am T (table side) in a 3/4 court press situation. Ball is trapped on L's sideline just over division line. I was watching for bc violation and L was in position along sideline 5-10 feet from baseline. Player with ball reaches around double team and passes. Ball deflected back toward the passer whose momentum after the pass carried her OOB. She proceeds to catch the ball and try to get back in bounds. No whistle from partner...I glanced at him and he seemed to be considering the call. Home Coach yells across court, "She's OOB!" Partner's whistle blows and he makes call. Visiting Coach asks, "Who's calling the game here?" I ignored that question and figured best thing was to get the ball back in play.

Home coach responds (loud enough for me and V coach to hear but not loud enough for folks in the stands to hear) "I am!"

I turned and looked at Home coach and did.....

What should I have done?
Old Tue Jan 17, 2006, 10:10am
In Memoriam

Just get the ball back into play asap and get the game going again. If either coach wants to take it any further with more comments, then take care of it at that time. If they fuggedabouit, then you fuggedaboutit.
Old Tue Jan 17, 2006, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Just get the ball back into play asap and get the game going again. If either coach wants to take it any further with more comments, then take care of it at that time. If they fuggedabouit, then you fuggedaboutit.
Forgot to tell you this part...

Visiting Coach says, "You're going to let him say that? How is that not a T?"
Old Tue Jan 17, 2006, 10:28am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by biz
Quote:
Forgot to tell you this part...

Visiting Coach says, "You're going to let him say that? How is that not a T?"
All unsporting technical foul calls are objective. If you felt that the comments were unsporting, then take care of bidness. If you didn't think they were, then just let the remarks go. Any doubts at all, never make a call of any kind.

I wouldn't call those particular comments particulary unsporting myself. At the most, I'd say that they maybe warranted an "enough". Or a smile(not recommended). However, that's my opinion only. If another official thought they were unsporting and threw out a "T", then I ain't gonna second-guess 'em. My point was that it's up to you to decide whether a "T" is warranted or deserved in these types of situations. Experience usually helps a little also. Just do what you think is right and don't worry about it.
Old Tue Jan 17, 2006, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Consider if the comments were "over the line" enough to have FT's shot and possession at this crucial time. It's your decision. To me, it sounds like they are worth ignoring.
Old Tue Jan 17, 2006, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

No whack from me there (though I agree with JR; if another ref assessed a T, I'm not going to second guess her/him).
Old Tue Jan 17, 2006, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
All unsporting technical foul calls are objective.
You mean they're multiple choice? True/false?
Old Tue Jan 17, 2006, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

What about giving a warning to the coach? Too late in the game for that?
Old Tue Jan 17, 2006, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Thank you all for your opinions. It's nice to be able to get advice all with the click of a mouse

Here's the rest of the story...

I turned with my whistle in hand ready to put it to my lips and I decided against it and issued a stern warning.

I said, "You're walking a very fine line Coach!" He immediately apologized and we went on with the game. The girls on both teams played too good a game for it to end with a T on the coach.

I have to admit, though, that the little voice in my head kept saying that I was being too soft and the worst part was I felt like I wasn't protecting my partner.

Thank you again.

Old Tue Jan 17, 2006, 02:23pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
All unsporting technical foul calls are objective.
You mean they're multiple choice? True/false?
Shut up.
Old Tue Jan 17, 2006, 02:27pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by biz

I turned with my whistle in hand ready to put it to my lips and I decided against it and issued a stern warning.

I said, "You're walking a very fine line Coach!" He immediately apologized and we went on with the game. The girls on both teams played too good a game for it to end with a T on the coach.

The bottom line is that what you did do worked. You kept the game under control and there were no further problems. That's all that really matters. Don't second-guess yourself. You've got enough other people around willing to do that for you.
Old Tue Jan 17, 2006, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by biz

The bottom line is that what you did do worked. You kept the game under control and there were no further problems. That's all that really matters. Don't second-guess yourself. You've got enough other people around willing to do that for you.
Are you speaking objectively here?
Old Tue Jan 17, 2006, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

I'm kind of sold on the idea of whacking both of them and picking the game up with a double T.

B baited A and A retaliated, it fits under T against each other at approximately the same time, IMO.
Old Tue Jan 17, 2006, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Have your partner blow the whistle and this wouldn't have been a problem.

My rule (which is the way the game should be) is coaches get more rope if we blow a call. If the next time up the court they are still chirping about the same thing the WACK!

Bottom line you handled it correctly. Keep the game moving and under control.
Old Tue Jan 17, 2006, 04:22pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
[/B]
Are you speaking objectively here? [/B][/QUOTE]Shut up.

Never did like the f**king Village People anyway. Grumble, grumble....